New from BC. Finally got the pictures figured out!

Introduce yourself here
IronwoodIsland

New from BC. Finally got the pictures figured out!

Post by IronwoodIsland »

Greetings from Canada:

Some fuzzy phone camera pictures of our alloy Ironwood Island Commuter boat

Delivery Day:

A practical vessel:

Mooring chains are a necessity here (just recently had over 16 foot tides)

Small aluminum boats are sure easy on the fuel compared to the older deep Vee NON ALLOY boats I'm used to but they certainly bob about more!

Graham
19' Ironwood extended with platform to 21'
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: New from BC. Finally got the pictures figured out!

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Your in good company....welcome to aab.com.

I guess with tides like that you just can't anchor up anytime you want, any place. And work or fish.
I know I can't here even, in Jacksonville Florida. We have the strongest tides of the state.
From 4-6 feet.....but because of a narrow inlet, and incessant dredging in the river channel, the current is very exagerated.
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

Graham:

Good looking commuter boat. That cabin looks cozy.

-Illgotoo
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Graham,

Welcome aboard!

Finally another Ironwooder!

How old is she? DO you just use her for communtting or any fishing ??? Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
IronwoodIsland

Post by IronwoodIsland »

Hi Marty

Enjoyed seeing all your posts so I thought I'd start to catch up. The Ironwood is a 2001 and in great shape, they are really well built and my wife wanted it as soon as she saw it to my great surprise.

The only problem I have is minor and involves trying to reattach some of the rubber bumper bolts - a few have come loose - there must have been toggles inside the hose that have fallen off. I'll likely have to contact John and ask him how to replace these.

We have mostly been hauling building materials and the relations young-uns to and from the holiday place.

Fishing is great. I plan to get back into salmon fishin and one day catch a halibut too. As far as I know we don't get tuna inside of Vancouver Island where we are but they are on the outside (caught one once by dragging a big tasselled hook)

Last summer I watched in amazement as a young harbour seal chased down a rather large salmon against the rocks. The whole episode had a coyote-road runner component to it. The seal just basically tired out the salmon and then cornered it in a rock cleft.

A 4m long 200kg elephant seal was just found dead in the Gulf here - apparently it had a few broken ribs that suggested it had either been battered by a few orcas (would have been eaten) or was run over by a boat (more likely).

Cheers, Graham
19' Ironwood extended with platform to 21'
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Graham,

The rubber bumper hose on my boat is bolted with the head of the bolt put through from the inside with a fender washer on it at the port transom on one side, then the hose is laid into the "C" channel that runs around the entire hull between the gunnel's and deck material, then when the hose reaches the starboard transom corner, the hose is pulled tight, then the second bolt with fender washer is drilled and bolted from the inside of the tube. Then a few S/S screws are drilled through the rubber hose every foot or so around just to insure the hose doesn't come out of the "C" channel. The heads of the screws are tightened till the heads pull trough the outer part of the hose and NOT over tightened when the head hits the inner side of the hose. Simple but effective method. THat's a wild story about the seal and elephant seal, I was watching a Youtube video of a timber wolf capturing and killing a baby black bear that was taken from your neck of the woods from a couple in a small tin boat. Pretty wild what Mother Nature has to offer for those who look! Good luck with your new family member, Your wife has good eyes, and choice picking an Ironwood! Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic