Glad I'm Here

Introduce yourself here
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Glad I'm Here

Post by Shark Bait »

Was talking to Beth @ BOE a little bit ago and she passed the info on the new forum to me. Been following the Alloy threads on THT. I have been in Alaska for 25 years and it is no secret that aluminum are the boats of choice up here. I will be getting my new boat around April and will post pictures later. 8)
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Welcome aboard Shark Bait!

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Welcome!

What are you getting?
Jay Perrotta
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

SharkBait, let us in on the secret , what boat are you getting ?

This site is for ALL ALLOY boats.

Lester
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Hi Jay: The boat is a 34' X 10', welded aluminum, trailerable, pilothouse, with 2 X DF300s that is being built in Campbell River British Columbia. I toured six different aluminum boat manufacturers in Alaska, Washington and Canada before I decided on this builder.

I lived in Miami for several years and had a Searay before I moved to Alaska. After living in Alaska for 25 years and being around lots and lots of Aluminum boats I knew I would most likely never own another glass and teak boat. The boat will be in the Seattle Boat Show at the end of this month if anyone is out that way and would like to see it. Will post pictures when i can get some good ones. :lol:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Post them pictures when ya get'em and some from the show if ya want.

Lester
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Bob5292

Post by Bob5292 »

I assume that is an Eagle Craft. I really look forward to seeing yours.
I like the looks of the 28x9'6 they have for sale. But 364k Canadian seems a bit steep.

http://www.eaglecraft.bc.ca/used_boat88.html

Bob
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Bob: You are correct my new boat is an EagleCraft. When I started down this path the Dollar was much stronger against the Canadian Loonie but it sucks now. The boat Steve Daigle, the owner of Daigle Welding and Marine who builds EagleCraft, is building for me is a little departure from what he normally builds. From the aft cabin bulkhead forward it is essentially his Coastal Cruiser - from the bulkhead aft it is a hard core Alaskan fishing boat.

I had the maximum width of the boat, not just the beam, limited to 9' 11 1/2" so it would be easier to tow because of our DOT regulations. I could have gone wider but it would have been a real PITA because of the regulations. Normally his 32' - 34' boats have a 10 1/2' to 11' beam.

I saw the 28' boat on their web site and I think the price is a misprint. If you look at the other boats it appears to be out line. Call Kevin at EagleCraft, 1-888-393-6464, and ask him about the boat and the price. I can't say enough about the boats, Steve and his entire crew, they are true professionals. Steve has been building Aluminum boats for something like 25 years and has built over 1,000 boats - he knows what he is doing. That said, having a boat built in Canada ins not for the faint of heart; exchange rate changes, customs issues, etc have made it a challenge, but working with Steve has been fun, professional and great.

If you or any of the other guys have questions let me know, I'm no expert on Aluminum boats but I have been on a great may of them and have studied just about all of the ones built in Washington, Oregon, Alaska and British Columbia and I know our boat very, very well.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

From FLA to ALASKA??

Wow, why did ya make that drastic move?

I think I'd love everything about Alaska, and would love sometimes to be anywhere but here.

But the 12 months a year fishery really is great. I guess I'll be in this area forever or until Jacksonville goes Bi-lingual. I don't know if the serious rednecks would let that happen, though.

Welcome!!
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Capt Dave: I was born and raised in Oklahoma and then ended up in the Air Force. As much as I tried to get stationed in the West I always ended up on the East Coast, except for my overseas tours. GA, NC and Tampa twice and then Miami. When I got assigned to Homestead I thought I would retire there. After 3 1/2 years I wanted out of that place in the worst way. I had been trying to get stationed in Alaska for a long time but it was very difficult to get stationed up here. I was finally able to get assigned up here and have been here ever since.

While I miss boating and fishing 12 months a year I Don't miss all of the people. When camping, hunting or boating it is very easy to get away from most other folks. While the boating season is only 5 to 6 months long in the south central area it is unbelievable while it lasts.
Daddy'O

Post by Daddy'O »

Oklahoma? Where abouts?

I was born & raised in town just south of Tulsa. :)

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Oh...okay. I was in the USAF too.

Osan AB Korea and then Grand Forks ND, and you can bet your hat all I wanted to do is get back south when in N.Dakota!

That place is like Hell for someone like me. No people? Yeah, cuz it's frozen all the time and in the summer was 105 degrees.

I tell a good customer of mine that fishes with me 2 times a month thats from Fargo and is in US Navy now..."yeah, I spent a decade there one year!!!"

At least that's how it felt. That year they had wind chill too 50 below!
Anyone caught with frost bite would get an "Article 15", because you were issued proper attair.

I was Security Police Law Enforcement. And found it NOT to my liking at a SAC base.

Glad to have ya here, looks like we're getting many an Alaskan. GOOD....I love ya'lls photos.

Let's see some FISHIN pics, on the "how I use my boat forum".
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Daddy O: I was born in Stillwater but grew up in OKC; went to school in Tahlequah. My wife was born in Barnsdall and her mother and sister live in Bixby. We were in Bixby for two weeks just before Thanksgiving - was sure glad to get back up here.

Jetty: Since I was in the fighter business I spent all of my time on TAC bases, although Seymour-Johnson (Goldsboro NC) was technically a SAC base.

OBTW - It is warming up a little, only -2.5F now, up from -9F last night.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic