Greetings from VA

Introduce yourself here
petrel

Greetings from VA

Post by petrel »

Inshore, offshore, skinny water veteran here (about 30yrs). Recently intrigued by aluminum alloy boats. Hope to learn much from the board members. Use my boats year around for hunting, fishing, spearfishing and kids(4) watersports. Boating experience ranges from 12' 2hp layout hunting skiff to 43' 1200hp sport fish. I primarily navigate in the waters of VA and NC and live 20 minutes from the nearest river, 2 hours from the Chesapeake Bay, and three hours from the Atlantic.

Three things have happened in the last three years that have sparked my interest in AABs. First, I saw the photos of the Rocksalt 34 and spoke to a representative about their boats. Second a new friend has taken me for a ride on an all aluminum pilot launch, which operates 24/365 in all but named hurricane conditions. Third, I upgraded my aluminum jon boat to an all welded heavy duty aluminum "mud boat". Since both of these boats appear to be nearly indestructible and require no fussing over cosmetics, I am starting to think that I may need to eliminate some NON ALLOY from my world.

I am here to learn. I'll attempt to orgainze my question/concerns into a coherent post in the main forum soon. Thanks in advance to all that take the time to help.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: Greetings from VA

Post by goatram »

Welcome Petrel :thumbsup: enjoy :highfive:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Petrel, WELCOME to AAB and enjoy , we have some great builders here and a bunch of guys that can give you 1st hand experience of what these boats can do.
Jump right in and ask away, if you have a hard time getting any one on the phone [ Builders ] just let me know and I'll do what I can for you.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
petrel

Post by petrel »

Thanks for the welcome. I'll see if I can round up some mud photos soon.
petrel

Post by petrel »

Peezer, here are the photos you requested. Please let me know if you want to see anything specific. Thanks for your interest.
PB280559-3rd.jpg
PB280559-3rd.jpg (230.46 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
PB280561-3rd.jpg
PB280561-3rd.jpg (202.63 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
PB280560-3rd.jpg
PB280560-3rd.jpg (225.58 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
PB280563-3rd.jpg
PB280563-3rd.jpg (162.05 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

What is on the deck and other surfaces ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
petrel

Post by petrel »

Hydroturf is the floor and deck covering. I love the stuff! It is fairly popular in mud boats.

The motor is made by ProDrive. It is slightly modified with a performance intake, Mikuni carb, and performance exhaust. The carb is temperamental as hell, requiring idle and idle mix adjustment when the temps fluctuate. There have been a few quirks with the hydraulic system too, but ProDrive stands right behind their product. I still would not have anything but a ProDrive.

The top end speed stinks (as is true with all mud motors), but it has loads of torque for clawing its way through mud. The motor will actually propel the boat through pure muck with less water under it than would float a decoy. It also has full power in reverse and accomplishes this by hydraulically rotating the lower unit. However, instead of burying the stern, it will actually raise the stern and the hull will ride up on the wash created underneath. The reverse takes a few seconds to actuate, so precision docking is out.

It will crash over logs and stumps with no ill effect and converts aquatic vegetation and/or ice to slurry (however, they do not do well in sand or gravel). These mud motors are truly tough customers. If you do manage to hang it up, the boat has hard points on all four corners for a winch that will drag it most anywhere. Since the motor is air cooled, you can always idle the motor to keep the battery up while winching.

With regard to the tiller, the answer is yes and no. Because I use this boat in the worst conditions and I do not go on runs over about an hour, I did not want the extra rigging of a console. However, the torque and vibration of these motors is punishing. If I took longer runs or if they develop one with more hp, I'd have to have a console.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic