Another AK boater

Introduce yourself here
paulh

Another AK boater

Post by paulh »

I suppose I should have introduced myself instead of just jumping into the threads. You can blame spoiled one for me finding this forum :thumbsup:

Slight background, I got into boating in AK by showing up at home one day with a trailer full of marine plywood and 15 gallons of expoxy. To my wife's shocked look I replied, well I told you I was going to build a boat. Took longer than I thought, but I ended up with a 22' fishing boat that in theory was big enough for our family of five for overnight trips. Kid's have a tendency to grow and now we're essentially 5 adults and the boat is too small for multi day trips, and when the weather kicks up, really too small to be comfortable as far from port as I'd like to stray.

Instead of 2 foot-itus I suffer 6 foot-itus and my plan is to have specmar tweak their 912 plan by stretching it 2 feet and do some tweaks to the pilothouse and cuddy for creature comforts. I debated building another stitch and glue boat but have a preference for aluminum for several reasons. I figure I'm at least a year away from starting construction and figure I'll need at least a year of spare time to get the hull completed and another year to fit it out.

I figure this gives me some time to glean the various designs out there and incorporate features I like.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: Another AK boater

Post by goatram »

Coldwater might sell you their 29' sport boat plans. I was going to go with this but have it shrunk to 27'. I just found a different hull that will work. Now to win the lottery and then I can get my dream boat a 33' Coldwater.

Welcome :thumbsup: enjoy
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
paulh

Post by paulh »

One limitation is I need to be able to pull the boat with a 3/4 ton diesel, I don't want to upgrade to a freightliner! Unfortunatley for all intents and purposes getting a slip in Whitier is a no-go otherwise I'd be looking at a 36-40' boat. On the flip side, living on a trailer allows me to hit different ports depending on whether my focus is fishing or cruising.

The way the design is pencilling out twin 175's on the back will give me a 30knot cruise at 15 gph. While I'd love to upsize just a wee bit more :beer: next thing I know I'm in for over $100k and sucking over 20 gph.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

sounds about right. Cost and fuel usage. might be more cause ya rich Alaskans have to have all the stuff shipped to you. :deadhorse: (Jetty that was for you Babe) :rotfl:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Paul, you could still hit different ports in a 40 footer. You would just have to take the scenic route! :beer: Welcome to AAB!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I like Petes idea.
Jay Perrotta pulled that 34 Rock Salt up and down the East Coast a few times, looked like a Cruse ship going down the Hwy.

Just go to Petes house with a pad and pencil and start measuring.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
paulh

Post by paulh »

What I need to do is have my wife crawl through Patience with the Espar cranking so she'll have an appreciation of the advantage of a larger more nicely appointed boat. I definately want to spend some time with a tape measure and camera climbing through, over and around various alloy boats this summer.

Pete, A 36-40 foot boat would be great if I had a slip in Whittier, but you know the deal with that. Which leaves me Seward which is more of a fishing port than cruising port. I know you can motor into the Southern Sound, after taking a nice jog across the Gulf. I'm kinda partial to the relatively protected waters of the sound for cruising, and especially the endless nooks and crannies to explore or hide in. Also that big of a boat is too slow for day fishing trips, at lest given the water I find I have to cover out of Whittier to make it worth while to drop a hook.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

I am not opposed to rafting up with a Tolman this summer. We keep the ESPAR running all the time. Momma likes to keep warm. :thumbsup:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Why not get a slip in Cordova and just fly in...hey just a thought! Anyway it is S@*Tier in Whittier...isn't that the saying and you have to deal with the tunnel! Good luck and welcome!
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
DMan

Post by DMan »

Welcome to AAB Paul!
Memory Maker - 10' X 29' Glaciercraft in Whittier Alaska - Making Memories one wave at a time!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic