New from PNW

Introduce yourself here
Kimbrey

New from PNW

Post by Kimbrey »

Hello,
I purchased a 26' Duckworth Offshore last February. Since I was due to rotate back up to AK for my work (fishing) I left the boat at the dealer so they could rig at the leisure since my rotation is 2 months. It's getting close to that time for me to rotate back home so the dealer started a few days ago rigging. The engines are on and they were working on installing the bait tank. Not sure how well they are doing with that.
The boat will be rigged with:
--300 hp Yami for the main
--9.9 hp Yami for the kicker
--Raymarine electronics--C127 for the helm, C95 for the cockpit, CHIRP sounder module, TM265LH CHIRP ducer and the Sirius/xm weather thingy
--Garmin GP 10 autopilot w/remote
--Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF W/AIS receiver
--Lewmar 1000 SS anchor windless
--32 gallon Kodiak bait tank.
Plus a few other things. Scotty mounts and electrical recepticals, Scotty flush mount rod holders, rigging bait station.

It's going to be a long couple of weeks before I can climb on a Southbound plane out of Dutch Harbor.
welder
Site Admin

Re: New from PNW

Post by welder »

Looking foreward to a bunch of pictures of this coming summer.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Welcome KimH :thumbsup:

Now that you own a REAL Boat and not some Tupperware,Clorox Bottle wannabe.

A different bunch purists here than on the WA BD. :beer:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Welcome Kim!
That looks like a sweet setup you have coming together! I know how you feel about not being home; just arrived in the southern Philippines for another 6 month rotation. Remember to post lots of pics of the maiden voyage!
Kimbrey

Post by Kimbrey »

Thanks guys,
John "Real Boat"? I certainly hope so cause in theory it's the last boat I'll buy. Like I said I don't know much about Aluminum so have a lot to learn. I've just recently learned stainless will react with alumminum. Thought the two metals were inert to each other. I've been floating around on steel for the past 34 years so I know my way around that stuff and then a bit of time on glass and wood (tupperware) before that.

I sure like your build thread John. Wish I had the talent, shop & time to be able to do something like that.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Nice looking boat you have there. Are you fishing crab out of Dutch?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Kimbrey

Post by Kimbrey »

spoiled one wrote:Nice looking boat you have there. Are you fishing crab out of Dutch?
Nope no crab. Yellowfin sole is the main target right now. Playing in the ice slightly West of the Pribolof's right at the minute. Ice looks like it finally wants to recede some though. It's been flat calm weather which is nice.
Maybe we will head West to the Aleutians in a couple of weeks for a bit for some Atka Mackerel and POP.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Gotcha! Feel free to post more pics of your work set up. The melt is finally on here in South Central AK...finally! :beer:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pictures..... Did someone say PICTURES?
We like Pictures and Pictures of commercial fishing would very cool to have here on AAB.

Bring it on. :beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Kimbrey

Post by Kimbrey »

Photobucket is giving fits with this slow internet connection on the boat. I'll post more pics as I can.

This one of shows us a bit frosty earlier this year.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Atka Mackerel? I had to look that one up, cute little guys, who buys them? Are they good eating? They don't look like a mackerel. What's a POP?

1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Kimbrey

Post by Kimbrey »

Atka Mackerel isn't a mackerel actually. Haven't a clue why it has that name as it's a member of the greenling family. It's kind of a dark meat so there isn't much of if any domestic market so most of it goes to Japan. I took a case (20kg) of it home at the end of last year to use a bait for halibut & lingcod. That is if I get home in time for one of the openers. It's a really oily fish so I was thinking it might be fairly good as a bait. That mac in your picture is a male in it's spawning phase. The females are more drab. Supposedly they lay eggs in nests in the shallows. One of the parents will guard the nest. It's a fun fishery for me as they are in rugged, rocky ground that usually has a lot of current. IE they are hard to fish for where we hang up, rip up, break bridles and tangle things. Great fun or a challenge. We get them between 55 to 85 fathom of water. Probably average 65 fathom so relatively shallow. These fish don't have an air bladder so it's really hard to see them with our fish finders. I can kind of see them a bit with our 120kHz frequency.

POP or Pacific Ocean Perch is a red rockfish. This is kind of a fun fishery which is easier than mackerel. We get them off of steeper edges averaging around 150 fathoms.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Interesting stuff, thanks. Had to look up POP's too, there again, name tricks, doesn't look like a perch either, like you said, a run-of-the-mill northwest rockfish.

On the Atka, do you know if that is what they call them in Japan?

On edit: I showed the pic to my wife and she told me the Atka is called "Kitano Ho Oke" in Japan
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic