New Member from Just South La.

Introduce yourself here
Bestfish

New Member from Just South La.

Post by Bestfish »

Thinking about building myself an aluminum boat one day. So wanted to join to have some of my questions answered. I have never built any boats my self, have been around an old friend who he and his father were water people and built their own lafite skif type hulls out of wood and wood and glass. I am a sheet metal mechanic all my life, been around it all my life, so layouts come natural to me. Well, as long as they are flat plate type, not stretched type. I have enjoyed reading back posts and looking at everyone's designs and techniques.
welder
Site Admin

Re: New Member from Just South La.

Post by welder »

Bestfish,
Welcome to AAB and enjoy.
What size boat would you like to build? There are some here that will sell "cut files" to build your self.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Bestfish

Post by Bestfish »

Thanks Welder. Yea what I drew up , laid out on small scale is a 23' bay bateau'. 13* stern, then after 7', warp the hull into a step v forward. Since I don't have Rhino or never did cad, I old school it so to say. I lay it out, made models out of galvanize to see in 3d, then change what I want to change. I can imagine Rhino sure would be easier bou'cou' if I were proficient with what buttons to push LOL. I have not modeled my last revised drawing. My concern is, I want bottom out of 1/4" 5086 116-H alum. I just can't see how 1/4" alum will bend/roll around the conical rulings. Seems it would take bou'cou' pressure to get it to roll. Or would you draw all your rulings and go to a press break and make slight bends on each ruling to start it turning? That's how I did my model. I guess that's my question, can it be done?
I have fished here all my life, I know what bateaus' work best here for my type fishing in our waters. Very similar to a 22'-24 old styled Pathfinder or blazerbay NON ALLOY hulls.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Getting 1/4" 5086 to bend is tough , a press break is the way to go, don't try to bend a hard 90* you will break something.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic