Newbie interested in building a Centre Console

Introduce yourself here
Ceilidh69

Newbie interested in building a Centre Console

Post by Ceilidh69 »

Hi guys. Great site. Starting the Journey to move up a larger CC. Looks like all the info on here will be very helpful.

Cheers
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Newbie interested in building a Centre Console

Post by kmorin »

Ceilidh69, welcome aboard the AAB.com Forum, build threads are about the most popular threads here.

While all the welded plate boat owners, drivers, and fishermen enjoy their boats, almost nothing we discuss or enjoying viewing more are build threads. Any ideas, thoughts, thought processes with priorities for your boat's use, and how you go about all that are always well read.

Glad you're here, let us know what you've done, what your boats have been like (or are like now) and where you're going? Have you started the welding learning curve yet ? Are you thinking NC Kit boat? or what other details you're willing to share.

I don't think the AAB.com Forum is one of the "thick-skin-or-don't-post" sites? but then it's not a pure "cheerleader" site either. While few of us post much, there are lots of informed people here, and a good archive to search and explore as a fine online encyclopedia of welded aluminum boating- from design considerations to building; from boat care to fishing; and from bilge maintenance to some tech discussions of wiring and mechanical installations.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Ceilidh69

Post by Ceilidh69 »

Thanks Mike - currently have a 16 ' welded aluminum Kellahan built in Vancouver and fish mainly on larger lakes in the interior of BC with one or two salmon/halibut trips per year to Vancouver Island. Have had various types of boats (aluminum and fibreglass) all my life and fished since I was a kid. Looking to move in to a 22-24 welded aluminum centre console with a larger outboard and kicker with enough room for 3-4 to fish comfortably and the ability to get offshore a bit. Not a welder and likely not looking to learn to weld at this time. Am thinking of getting plans (looking at Bruce Cope designs closely), making some adjustments based on experience, personal preferences and what we have seen on other boats in BC over the past few years. Will then get then likely find a builder in BC. Of course if we find a used boat that meets most or all of the specs then that may work as well. Really like the Pacific boats but never/very rarely see them for sale used in Canada. Understand they are not a high production builder but sure would like to get my hands on one of those. Thinks there are lots of good ideas and experience here that will be helpful during the journey.

Cheers

Peter
Calgary, Alberta/Salmon Arm, B.C.
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Ceilidh69,
I think there's at least one other Cope cut-file boats on here? The Cope lines/designs are surely about the prettiest sheer lines around? Similar to the IronWood lines at the sheer; "leaping" lines that just look great.

KitBoats or MetalBoatKits (not sure of name?) also offer some pre-cut file designs and so does SpecMar http://www.specmar.com/ . One good thing about pre-cut kits is the designs are rarely untried. They don't require fine tuning- they're usually built before and are "tuned" by any feedback years before so in a sense you're buying a known product in the kit.

Another labor saving feature is not only the layout and cutting files' labor savings but the jigs, fixtures and cradles that come along with the cut hull panels increases the builders' accuracy while saving time. So if you hire a smalls shop to build a kit? They get a fitted cradle to build inside (usually) so they're ready to tack up the hull in less time than if they'd lofted and made their own cradle/fixture/base on which to build.

If I understand your thinking at this point, the 22-23' open CC will allow you more crew to fish? You're looking for the ability to haul that larger crew in the salt with less limits due to all-up displacement of your current skiff and you're ready for more overall capacity- both in load and fishing more open waters?

Also recommended you look at John Simpson's site http://simpsonmarinedesign.com/ and his designs (some of which are in cut files not sure which?) and Bill Lincoln of Response Marine (Rock Salt) http://responsemarine.com/ : both of these gentlemen are experienced aluminum designers but I'm not sure how many or which stock designs are available in NC cut files?

Michael Kasten has done lots of welded boats, but I'm not familiar enough with his catalog to say there are 22' open, CC, designs?

Last, I'll make a plug for a personal friend's cut file boat. His name is Mark Ervice, he lives in Homer, AK, and his email is meco@xyz.net he can at least discuss his 22'open hull. He's posted several builds of this hull in a few lengths at different online forums. I think he's got a post here but don't have the link. The skiff is very full in the bow, runs well with modest power, and hauls a tremendous load, is well proven in the Kachemak Bay area, and is available in "kit" (meaning cut files sent to your profile cutting vendor) form. I don't know the kit cost- metal or cut files, but I'm sure you can find links to the boats online. Please feel free to tell him you got the recommendation from me, here; and at least he can blame me for taking your call away from his shop time building the next one of these skiffs!

good luck in your design search, always good to read about a new boat, stock or custom, being planned and built.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Ceilidh69

Post by Ceilidh69 »

Thanks again Kevin - sorry called you Mike in my last email as I was typing on my phone and due to my advanced age can't see very well without my glasses!!. The info you have provided is much appreciated, very thorough and bang on for where we are going with a build. Will update as things proceed.

Cheers

Peter
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Ceilidh69, no worries, Mike, Sam, Joe- "anything but Sue" is fine with me, the Forum knew you were reading without 'cheaters in your hood' - we all do that - at least I do.

Looking forward to learning more as you decide- thanks for sharing your boat project here as we all enjoy reading about this type of boat, especially when we get to go along for the ride starting with their original concept and move with your build 'til you're in the water.

cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic