So ... anywho how does Pacific skiff compare to other aluminum boat builders?

dflorea

So ... anywho how does Pacific skiff compare to other aluminum boat builders?

Post by dflorea »

:beer: :gunner2: That’s all. What is your opinion. Great Lakes walleye fishing mainly.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: So ... anywho how does Pacific skiff compare to other aluminum boat builders?

Post by kmorin »

dflorea,
odd that the site didn't provide any reply at all? Pacific is a well known, high quality builder of open welded boats.

What I like about the two Pacific's I've seen was the high quality TIG work on the stern, and the fact they have some proprietary extrusions they use in hand railing, and gunwale trim. This allows some nice railing structures that are very strong and look nice using their extrusions. They do pay attention to detail that many production builders just can't afford to do- mainly because production builders are selling to market price point and Pacific is only in the high end of the market.

What I have seen is they refuse to put and external spray rail outboard on the topsides so the skiffs are wet in a 3' - 4' or greater head sea. I'm not sure what the issue is with external spray rails? but I've yet to see a Pacific with one out there?

A while back someone told me that was false- they weren't wet skiffs by the head... but then there happened to be a utube video of a Pacific running into a breeze and head sea- and the windscreen was wet! Not sure why they won't hang another rail on their topsides to try to avoid this? but in general I don't see external topsides spray deflection above their chine plates.

As far as I know, and I'm not expert on this brand... they're about the only builder to cast their own polystyrene foam blocks for the compartments in their bottom! That is a lot of effort (I've ranted elsewhere about the "futility of foam") and puts them in their own league in that aspect.

However, there are at least some questions about the bilge mounted fuel cell/tank under the deck. Jetty Wolf, member here, has a thread somewhere here, about his tank problems. Neither the Wolf or Pacific has seen fit to really explore that tank failure - at least not here, in public- so we're not exactly sure the cause? Could be design, could be some other factor... I can't see that the Skipper/Capt'n Dave/member Jetty Wolf could have been responsible... unless some factor of his boat's operation were unique compared to hundreds of boats?

Like all single deadrise planning hulls, warped or monohedron, you choose your V or deadrise angle and live with the resulting ride and performance envelope. If you get a huge, deep V? you're running speed can be higher with "less impact" but you'll get tired rolling all day as you fish. If you go flatter in the bottom deadrise? you'll have to slow down much more than the deeper V when the Lake lumps up... but you'll be less fatigued at the end of the day having spent much less energy compensating for a greater rolling motion.

Pacific's design decisions have plenty of years of very well performing skiffs to rely upon- so performance is as good as any other single deadrise angle bottom in welded aluminum. But in my view, their construction workmanship is of a higher quality than most of the production boats and as good as the next tier in the market of one-off, custom made welded skiffs.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
dflorea

Re: So ... anywho how does Pacific skiff compare to other aluminum boat builders?

Post by dflorea »

Thanks, what year did Pacific stop with foam insulation. And do boat surveyers inspect fuel tanks on Aluminum boats? Probably stupid questions but not too many plate boat builders on the east coast. im looking at an 04 23 skiff
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

dflorea,
I don't know if they do or do not foam skiffs shorter than 20' LOA? I only know from online reports they foamed larger boats in one or two instances but don't know more? I think it was the Black Lab distributor, some years past who remarked about the level of effort to make cast blocks of polystyrene type foam - comparing Pacific's method to the poured in foam of other builders. Not sure, many years ago and don't have any details, I'd expect you'd have to contact Pacific or look to the surveyor?

Even in '04.... I don't think foam would have been required in a 23' LOA skiff? I think the regulatory cut off has been less than 20' LOA? You'd have to ask Pacific. I have met plenty of owners who think foam is a good idea and while I consider it purely a mis-guided "sick-o-logical" bit of silliness- given a welded in deck- I'm sure any given boat could be "foamed" at the request of an owner?

As to what is or is not covered by a surveyor? I can't answer with any firm knowledge... It would take a bore scope or equivalent but whether or not any given surveyor does tank inspections is a question for each individual surveyor?

I don't think questions are stupid when you're looking for info and don't have the answer in hand -yet! Maybe some of the other Forum members will drop by and help your inquiries further? There are plenty here who own Pacific Skiffs and have a great deal more knowledge than I. I was mainly answering the initial post because it seemed reasonable to ask for feedback and no one else had posted a reply!!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
dflorea

Post by dflorea »

SINCE I m on this thread or maybe I should start a new one. I do t see hardly any plate boats on lake Erie. They are more popular on the west coast. WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THIS? Lund AND OTHER RIVETED BOATS ARE FAIRLY COMMON. But mostly glass. My wife wants to know why I have to go out to Washington state to look at a boat. I'm not too keen on starcraft chieftain or older lund baron and the like. I see a lot of old junk boats like this alone with rotten Wood hulls. Thanks
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

dflorea wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:04 pm SINCE I m on this thread or maybe I should start a new one. I do t see hardly any plate boats on lake Erie. They are more popular on the west coast. WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THIS? Lund AND OTHER RIVETED BOATS ARE FAIRLY COMMON. But mostly glass. My wife wants to know why I have to go out to Washington state to look at a boat. I'm not too keen on starcraft chieftain or older lund baron and the like. I see a lot of old junk boats like this alone with rotten Wood hulls. Thanks
IMO cost is why don't see them as the level of strength a plate alloy provides is not really needed anywhere outside of areas like the Columbia river and Alaska.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic