Alloy Tuna Fishermen

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Alloy Tuna Fishermen

Post by AlloyToy »

Is it ok/safe to fish both braid & mono in the same spread?
Thoughts?
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Re: Alloy Tuna Fishermen

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

AlloyToy wrote:Is it ok/safe to fish both braid & mono in the same spread?
Thoughts?
AlloyToy,

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have all my offshore rods setup with 700yards of 60# Jerry Brown Hollow Core Braid on my 2/0 Finnors with a 200yd top shot of 30# mono, 900yds of 60# braid with 200yrd of 50# mono on top shot on my 30W Finnors, 900yds of 80# braid and 200yd of 80# mono top shot on my 50Altecnous, and 1750yds of 130# braid on my ALtecnos 80W with 150yrds of 130Mono top shot. Like anything else tanggles and cross overs can cause cutoffs but it isnt really any different than mono, just got to watch the crossovers. Back off the drags and unweave the tangles. Mrty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Thanks Marty,

I'd like to try fishing a coupler smaller rods & reels this year for the SBFT off RI. The braid will allow me to put more yardage :D on a smaller reel

How are those Finnor's and Altecnos? I've seen them but never caught with them.

I haven't graduated.......still just fish Senators on my end
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

FIN-NOR REELS???

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

AlloyToy wrote:Thanks Marty,

I'd like to try fishing a coupler smaller rods & reels this year for the SBFT off RI. The braid will allow me to put more yardage :D on a smaller reel

How are those Finnor's and Altecnos? I've seen them but never caught with them.

I haven't graduated.......still just fish Senators on my end
AlloyToy,

As you can see, the Fin-Nor 20s hold a Doo-doo load of 60# Jerry Brown hollow core spectra and a 200-yards of 30# hi-glow monomi mono top shot.

I fought that 300# Bigeye up to the boat four times last year and the 400# leader material broke not the 30# line. It gave me the chance to get a big fish like that. The drags are good the reels are very heavy dutyly built which is why Fin-nor became famous. I have 8 of them but only use four of them because of all the other 50s and 80s I have and can only troll 11-rods without my down riggers on the boat.

I would consider parting with a couple if your interested.

I'll take some pix of them on and off the rods for your consideration. The Altechnos I have, are straight 50s and 80Ws which are also great and seem to be well made.

Here is one rigged picture & will take a close up of a reel by itself. Go to this link. http://picasaweb.google.com/martyl.mcmi ... 2769287474

I don't know whats up with my photos on here, they are posting on other sites without a problem...Oh Well!

Either Mfg are great.

Mty
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Marty,

Your doing something wrong....I'm pulling pics off of my web site and photobucket and Googles Picasa and it works.

Oh one BIG GAME question...

Ya mean no ones using Accurates? I have 8 of them and wouldn't trade them babies for anything. Absolutely unbelieveable drag power in a small package......now the smaller reels even are 2 speed too.

I've dropped 30 pounds of Drag on Tarpon and Sharks. They bounce back to the boat on leaps!

......... hahahahahah :lol:
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Accurates

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

JettyWolf,

I agree Accurates are great, they also cost considerably more than most guys starting out want to spend. I started with all the Graphite Shimmano TLD 30s, & 50s then got one Tiagra 80W which I lost two years ago on a fish pulling it out of the rod holder because the center rigger clip didnt release till the rod got lifted up and hit the clip, then over she went. Long story!

I got a really good deal on the Fin-Nor and the Altechnous so I upgraded. If I had the funds to spend I would love to have all Accurates Dual drag setups.

For the money, I started using the Altechnos #12 Gorrilla with 40# of drag what a monster reel! An I think I paid 5 or $550.00 for it. I keep 65#Power Pro on it and crush the tuna and bass.

I reposted two new pictures and got them working, I don't know, those same pictures that were on here not working are stillof other sites working..who knows whats up, but these pixs are now working. mty
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Good info guys,

Marty, I'll keep that in mind on the reels, Thanks

First up is Riggers for me. Don't know which ones or how I want to handle this mounting etc........

I own a machine shop, it kills me to spend $$$$ on stuff that costs little to make.

Do you run safety lines on your gear when trolling?

Had the same thing happen to me with a rod & rell but the safety line saved my butt.....
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

REELS/RIGGERS/SAFETY LINES

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

AlloyToy wrote:Good info guys,

Do you run safety lines on your gear when trolling?

Had the same thing happen to me with a rod & rell but the safety line saved my butt.....
I use them and we were in a blitz of yellowfins on the troll we had 18-fish in the boat and were releasing the rest. we had just landed six fish and I was resetting the spread.

I had put out my left corner rigger rod, and my center rigger 80# rod which was a bent butt and was in a swivel holder and I had turned around to get the port corner rigger rod, as I turned around with the rod in my hand, I watched two 70# YFT smash the two rods that were in the water.

I then proceeded to watch the center rod swivel and lift out of the rod holder, hit the clip up out of my reach and it was gone. I hadn't clip the safety lines back on yet...neadless to say, the safety lines get clipped on as soon as the rod hits the holder NOW! mty

Take a look at the cockpit picture you will see safety lines on all he rods.

Outriggers???
Last edited by Ironwoodtuna on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Well.........._hit happens!!!

Like a ding dong....I once was paying out anchor line BSing, and forgot the end of the line was not secure to the boat.......needless to say I payed out all my line and away went my anchor, line, chain swivel etc...... But now I'm smart :D YEAH RIGHT!!!!! I just wait for "What's Next" these days...

That's a hell of a spread to watch from inside your cabin. You've gotta be a damn good Capt. with much experience........
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Marty,

What is the smallest boat you've seen at the Tails?

I know Tred to his 19' CC to the Canyon's jsut wondering if people really make that run in small craft????
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

SMALLEST BOAT IN THE TAILS

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

AlloyToy wrote:Marty,

What is the smallest boat you've seen at the Tails?

I know Tred to his 19' CC to the Canyon's jsut wondering if people really make that run in small craft????
I went to the Tails and filled the boat up many times in my 24" ALbemarle. Small boats you have to be very careful and PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!

I had some hair raising trips coming back home in the years before I got my Garmin 376C XM weather fax unit. One trip I came home in 8 to 10' seas, running 15-16 knots, then down to 12-knots near the Pointwater coming over the bow and hardtop, lost my radar due to water in the unit, dealing with the big, and the big nasty rips at the Lighthouse, arriving at 2AM tired, full of fish, then wrapped my props in a lobster pot in the inlet, my blown out my radar cost me $800 to get repaired, SUCKED!

I always had to carry an extra three 12-gallon fuel cans, because the 118-gallon tank wasn't near enough for a day trip, never did an overnight in it. But, with the weather fax unit, a buddy boat and a larger fuel capacity and really picking the right type of weather. Its can be done savely and have fun. You really need to know your fuel burn rate running and trolling, as well as a 20% reserve. When the weather kicks up nasty, your all of a sudden running in the Doo-doo area of your effeciency for your engine, you just burn a lot of fuel fighting your way up and down big seas for 40 or 50 miles coming home if you left early enough, if you left too late then you may have 65-miles of poor performance...FUEL, FUEL, FUEL it the key. Safety equipment is also very necessary. I had the life raft and survival suits from day one.
Last edited by Ironwoodtuna on Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

That's AWESOME!!!! I love those stories. Looks like you had the Volvo, did you have the DuoProp too? I need to gain more experience before I attempt a trip like that............or experience and a bigger boat :D

For now I'll stick to the 30-50 mile marker
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

OFFSHORE TRIPS

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

AlloyToy wrote:That's AWESOME!!!! I love those stories. Looks like you had the Volvo, did you have the DuoProp too? I need to gain more experience before I attempt a trip like that............or experience and a bigger boat :D

For now I'll stick to the 30-50 mile marker
AlloyToy,

Yes, it was a Volvo 360hp V8 Gas with Duo Prop.

Your always welcome to come down and do some trips with us this year. Its is wiser to go with an experienced crew first, because of what you can and will at one point or another experience out there.

Trust me after spending the first season in Canyons with Tred, I was hooked and couldn't wait to get out there myself and do it on my own. Marty
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Let me take a wild guess....Albemarle - Tred......hmmmm
wonder who talked who into that boat? :lol:

Now the question is. "would he go alloy, and against all so called conventional wisdom and/or business opportunities?"

Watching the show I always wonder, are those Accurates? Hmmm, AVETS, probably?

Ya'll being Tuna-men, that's all they do in "Accurate country", California, catching them super sized Charlie's....and with 30 others on the boat too!
Would like to try that some day. In my next life.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Marty,
That's big of you!!! I really appreciate the offer and would love to run with you once to see what it's all about. See if my Ballzzzzzzzzzz are big enough :D

We'll talk at the Springfield Show...........

Thank you,
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

GLASS OVER ALUMINUM***I DON'T THINK SO!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Let me take a wild guess....Albemarle - Tred......hmmmm
wonder who talked who into that boat? :lol:

Now the question is. "would he go alloy, and against all so called conventional wisdom and/or business opportunities?"

Watching the show I always wonder, are those Accurates? Hmmm, AVETS, probably?
JettyWolf,

When I first started fishing with him in 2000 he had the 28 Albemarle while I had the baby 24. He had the Fin-Nors back then and went to the Avets, Mistake in my Opinion!

I laugh when he calls my XIAO MU JI the ugliest hard core fishing boat, but he said it nicer riding than many boats he's been on and rigged to fish. Screw gelcoat! Give me tin! Its all because of all the trips to the edge in his glass boats that I went to aluminum. To each their own.

You too are welcome to come up and do a long weekend on the Edge with us. Late July to Sept is the best time. Marty

Tred with a young Hunter and my son Cody doing some back bay Striper fishing.
A nice trip to the Edge with the boys.
Tuna, Boys and Tred what a cocktail combination, those were some crazy trips.
Tred's 28-foot Albemarle on the Prowl at the Edge with the boys!
Tred lost a beat at his Barta Marlin Tourney and he had to wear PINK wheich he hates.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

the "PINK"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my goodness, I have just lost it.

T

Appreciate the invite but, that's when I'm busiest too.

For some reason all the "freezers" don't come here when it's super pleasant ....they leave the heat at home and come here to fall-out like fies in our heat, during those months.

Really BACK SIDE backwards, but then again...I couldn't and still don't understand the general public. You'd "think" they'd come here when the snow is knee deep at their front door for a lil shorts and T-shirt wearing and fishing...but NOOOOOOO. They come when it's 110 in the shade!
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Re: Alloy Tuna Fishermen

Post by Jay Perrotta »

AlloyToy wrote:Is it ok/safe to fish both braid & mono in the same spread?
Thoughts?
Great thread.

Personally I use Berkeley Big Game and Red devils.... :?
Jay Perrotta
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Berkley Big Game.....good line Jay, Red devils??????? Is this a lure?
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Sorry. Trying to be funny!
Jay Perrotta
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

:D :D :D :D :D

Gotcha Jay, I though I was missing out on a Tuna secret weapon :D
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

"Red Devil" - is a mono that I used for surf fishing, because you can see it so well and it's made by High Seas.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Marty,

Springfield show this week. R U going?

Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

YES!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

YES, I am...!!!

Even though I just got back from being in Palm Springs were I was at my anual GE-Security Strategic Partners convention from Wed. - Sunday.

We took runner up as "Dealer of the Year", I guess three years in a row as "Dealer of the Year" was a tall order, but I tried!

My work week has been crushing my weekends but I have to take a break this weekend to go to the show. I will probably drive up super early Saturday morning, leave around 2-3AM, then stay late on saturday or maybe call a buddy who was a commercail fisherman and who may now com down to LI to work for me and stay overnight at his house leaving on Sunday.

Do you have my cell phone #516-459-8592 and I'll check if I have yours. Marty
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Marty,
That's something to be proud of in today's business world, and speaks for itself.

Looks like there will be a little more SW at the show this year. Haven't been in a couple years.

PM sent

AT
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic