Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Stellwagon Report (edit)

Post by AlloyToy »

Heading out in the AM "AlloyToy 68" Hope to bring you a good report

Anyone else going?

TONIGHT
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 20 KT THIS EVENING.
SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

TUE
N WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING E IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS
AROUND 2 FT.

TUE NIGHT
SE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING NE 10 TO 15 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. SEAS AROUND 2 FT.

4/14/09
On the road at 4:00 am.....Left Weymouth at 6:30 AM and headed to the NWC. For the most part the AM was slow. Winds were from the NW 5-10 and left us FAC conditions.

Around noon the winds switched from the E, and the drift picked up. Found a couple straggler keepers on the E side of the Bank in 100-110 feet in with the fleet.

Decided to search out our own school and headed to the SE when all hell broke loose . We found a huge pile of fish of all sizes and worked the school from 12ish till 3:30 to pick a full limit of Cod up to 24lbs (biggest) for the three of us. No other boats within sight

All fish fell to 17.5 oz jigs and motor oil sluggo teasers. These fish were packed with sand eels, and were puking them up all over the deck. The E drift brought us from 120 feet to 95 feet. Towards the end of the day there was also a fair pick of big cod in the shallows on top the bank

Called it around 3:30 (left some big fish biting but had our limit) and headed back with the SE winds to our back. All had sore arms, sore backs, and a big bag of fillets :thumbsup:

Spoke with Adrian who had a good pick of haddock off the NWC somewhere..... Also spoke with "wreckfisher" who is here from NJ to fish the bank for a few days. Had to cut him short as I was getting my BACK SIDE handed to me by the LNG tanker wom was tied up in the security zone........that's another story.....what a pain :skillet"

Long day, beat.....I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.....

Buddy with one of the Hogs...
Last edited by AlloyToy on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Stellwagon

Post by Chaps »

What is Stellwagon?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Chaps wrote:What is Stellwagon?
v26wa

Post by v26wa »

Wish I could !! :sad: I'm tied up doing home improvements till Wed. Looking forward to your reports !!
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Looks like a huge area - whats to catch this time of year? How about in the summer?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
capeannfisherman

Re: Stellwagon Report (edit)

Post by capeannfisherman »

Great to hear you again out there John. So few good days got to take them when you can. We did great on the haddock a steady bite and left them biting. 30" was the biggest haddock and many 27". Didn't take long to fill the 128 qt. cooler. Cleaned fish till 8:00pm. Got to get some sleep work in the morning. Nice meeting you and your son a board T Wreckfisher.
Adrian
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Chaps, This time of year Cod, Haddock, Wolffish, Flounder, Pollack (maybe)....then the dogfish move in and make life miserable :rotfl: ....around Fathers Day the Tuna should show, then it's game on till Thanksgiving....

Stripers also show on "The Bank" also but they are illegal to keep as it is beyond the 3 mile limit and is Fed waters...
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Great fishing trip AT. Those cod fillets look soooo white and tasty.......... how do you cook them up?

Yum!!!!!!
Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Mark,

We bleed them out right out of the water, then ice them & fillet them. For cooking my wife bakes them with buttered bread crumbs (traditional NE dish) , or broils them with fresh asparagus and stewed tomatoes over them.....delicious :clap:

I take french bread slices, toast them with olive oil and S&P then put some sauteed onions and poached fish over the toasted bread, then spoon newburg sauce over it YUM!! :clap: :thumbsup:
wreckfisher

Post by wreckfisher »

Nice to meet you as well adrian. We'll catch up later troy. I should've followed you Adrian, we wound up with 10 haddock, my son's first time, not a real fisherman, but thanks to him we got 2 cod over 27". Moved E and found 10 haddock, not bad for Jersyans. Should be back next week. Take care, Tom T-Wrecks.
The fish potters are killin me!
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Cool video...thanks for posting it.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

dem sum deep and bigs Whitlelin's!!

You can clean at sea? Lucky you.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Thanks SL Dave :thumbsup: Need to have my 11 YO son show me better... how to do the video thing :rotfl:

Capt. Dave, yeah...they LITTLE GIRL if you clean at the docks and dump the carcass...however there is some law about fillet size if you do clean at sea....never once seen it enforced, not to say they wouldn't......this state has bigger fish to fry :rotfl:

We vented the throw backs.....that was pretty cool :thumbsup:
capeannfisherman

Hammered the haddock again Saturday.Average 30 fish per person. All nice size 24"-28" All full of eggs and/or squirting sperm all over the boat. The breed is on and I'm not sure how long it last but as long as they are bunched up like they are we are going to stay on them and fill the freezers. And talk about good eats. Get out there if you can to the east side of stellwagen. Find an area with sand and gravel bottom on your chart or a mussel bed, then use your fish finder to find the schools. When you mark a school you are in the right area. Anchor and use bait and chum to really load the boat or drift and jig like we did and reset your drift when you go 2 minutes without a fish. Find the right size jig, we changed sizes a couple times over a four hour period. We also changed the bottom hook to a single #3 with a swivel so those tricky haddock can't spin themselves free.Next trip Saturday weather permitting.
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I should be out Sat too Adrian......nice job on the "bug eyes"
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Waiting on new electronics, come on big brown truck!! Its like a :nutkick: every time I hear it come down the street and watch it go past my house.

But got to say :thumbsup: to BOE for not making me wait 6 weeks like Sitex wanted me to wait.
capeannfisherman

21cc did you order the c map card? If so there is a wreck on the east side of the NWC that will put you in the area for the haddock. We leave the dock behind the HS at about 6am. Hope to see you out there
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

I haven't gotten the card, but I did get an es502, and a new transducer. I've been busy upgrading my electric winch wiring, and trying to get the honey do list done. One storm door down, two to go.. and one exterior door to replace. ahhhhh :banghead:
If you have the wreck marked from what you gave me, just tell me the mark number. I will check on the another map.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Adrian,
I spoke with Tom last night (T-Wrecks/Wreckfisher) he is traveling up from NJ today, and will be on the Bank Fri & Sat...
capeannfisherman

21cc that's right you have my marks, I think it's M25 or M26,you will see a wreck nearby. I'm at work now.
All - we changed our plans to Sunday but still watching the weather for the better of the 2 days
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

I will check it out tonight. Keep me updated.
capeannfisherman

by the way you are going to love the fish finder I put the bottom lock on to help find the haddock. It does a great job. Wait til you see tuna on that screen
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

We will have to get together and have you show me how to run it, a manual can only do so good.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic