RI Mud Hole 8/18

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

RI Mud Hole 8/18

Post by AlloyToy »

Mud Hole 8/18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fished today with Connor a buddy in the CG stationed here at Pt. Judith.

Left Pt. Judith around 5:00AM and made our way SE. As we crossed the Mud Hole the FF came alive with small & large marks.

Lines in and we started to pound the area. Connor was on the weeds hanging on the spread like "flies on ****" Shortly after 7:00 AM we have a quad hookup with blues. As we are working to clear the chaotic mess the way short black splash bar (www.reeldraggintackle.com) in the prop wash gets exploded on and is tight with a 20# SBFT.

Fish in the boat, high fives, and get back to it as we had some large marks on the FF.

Worked the area for a couple hours clearing more blues, and more blues, and more blues At the slack a school of large fish popped up. I landed a crystal minnow into the middle of the school and they didn't even take a peek at the lure. When I gut the fish in the box I found it packed with sand eels. I'm thinkin maybe a slug go would have gotten me tight with the larger fish.

Called it a day around 12:30 and headed in.

Great day OTW
21ftcc
Donator '09

Re: RI Mud Hole 8/18

Post by 21ftcc »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Did you radio the draggers for bait or did you swing in behind them for the left overs?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

We only fished rubber, wood, and hex heads more like canyon style fishing. Weeds were a big problem. My buddy was like a Seagull on a cracker with the weed checks keeping lines clear.

Water at the Mud Hole was 74.1 :clap: It will be interesting to see what this storm will do :shock:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

ALLOY sounds like a happy man, now!

Damn, not sure if I'd want my squeeky clean BLM that dang nastyfied.
Good gawd them some bleeders....

"we have a bleeder!!!!!!!!!!" or is that "franks and beans, franks and beans"

(-something about Mary, classic lines)
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Happy I am Sushi tonight :thumbsup:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Just curious , is there a market value on a BFT that small ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Don't think so Lester......just table fare for the family....hate to say it but the taste of the smaller fish is way better than the larger fish IMHO :thumbsup: We get them 20#-50# on average here in RI...the larger fish head North to CC.....really not sure why they don't come here to RI. We have the same food chain that CC has. Sand Eels, bunker, Herring ect...
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Alloy:

I remember not too many years back , well just a few we used to take 650lbs'ers off Block Lsland. You had to be there but when they came through it was like a freight train. BFT from 50s all the way to giants.........the good old days I guess. I have thought about that a great deal over the years. The one thing that sticks out predominately is the water temp change. The water tems in the area used to provide a nice thermocline not more than a few miles off of Block Island. Now the whole area
is warm water without thermocline unless you run way out. Up north the water has that nice warm/cool thermocline. We get alot of warm water liking finfish (Fluke,Sea Bass,Scup and so forth and it gets better (mostly) as time goes on. We have a drasticly changed system hear now. A long while back Atlantic Halibut were so thick you could walk on them ! God would't be great if we could hook into those things these days with out little Avets and Accurates ! You really want to know how things were talk to a old salt that will beat you in arm wrestling and has 90 years on them...they will tell you !
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Yeah, I've spoken to many whom have told me about the "helluva giant bite on Nebraska" years back. Was also told giants still come through Scarborough around Thanksgiving :?:

I had my first boat when I was 18 and kept it here in RI. Started coming here when I was 7 and still spend my summers here. I've seen change but nothing like some of my elders here have seen.

The tuna thing really has me intrigued here in RI. Not just the non presence of the larger fish we have on CC but also the different behavior. We fish them in the mud hole with a canyon like spread. Up on the CC it's all large bars, large baits......why would a 180# tuna not hit a jet run tight off the stern when a 20-30 pounder will :?: :?: :?:
clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

Hey Alloy toy nice fish. Fished at cox's ledge on 8-16 hooked into 3 BFT around 60 lbson the troll. We kept one and tagged two. On the way back to NB we saw busting fish chasing half beaks right out of the water. We hooked two on spinning gear one tagged one broke off. Great day of fishing 4:30 am out 7:00 pm back. Tuna for dinner! :thumbsup:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Clambo AWESOME!! :thumbsup: Wide variety of BFT sizes out there for sure. I heard this morning about a very large fish feeding off Block. The blues are HUGE out there. This is getting to be the time of the year that "Duck Soup" & "TwentyFive" find Giants South of Block.

Great job on the tuna Clambo :thumbsup:
capeannfisherman

Post by capeannfisherman »

Congrats John, I hear bluefish make great bait for lobster.
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Wow was that last poster out from left field.... John all I can think is that Adrian must have been hiding out on the bank catching all the tuna for you. :rotfl: . Where have you been hiding Adrian???
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Adrian has been catching tuna....I know he has :thumbsup:

Jason, Toggin is around the corner :thumbsup:
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

I bet Adrian is catching so many he has no time to take pictures.. :rotfl:

toggin this early?? :?: I dunno
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Alloy:

I guess we will see what happens this season. Lots of reports of BFT footballs all over. The Ocean science folks say this year they will be bigger than last year. I verified that with some URI folks I know so I took that info and said to myself (self better book that canyon trip now !) So self did .....I will sleep better knowing I did at least try this year. I did a canyon run years back on a Blackwatch 30 and what a sloshy mess that turned out to be. May as well been in my Pacific ! Funny when you get wet on a big center console it really does not bother you , you start getting soaked on a larger boat with greater protection and it just does not seem fun ...more like work.
Anyhow 100 feet should keep me comfortable for tree days this fall. Even got a stern position ! Side stern so I can walk the side when things get nutty as they do when all hell breaks loose on the big boats.
I wish I lived closer down river buy hey can't have eveything I guess , but if I lived near the mouth of Narragansett bay I think I would run to the hole more frequently. Its a long run from Haines park to the Mud Hole.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Waiting to see what Bill will do to our waters....hearing reports about YFT, Wahoo, and Marlin being taken.....not far from home :thumbsup: Next week will be an espionage mission after the blow
capeannfisherman

Post by capeannfisherman »

Yep, been very busy fishing, and now getting ready for my sons wedding at my house. Lets see if I got this post a picture thing right. Sorry John for jumping in on your tread.
Adrian2.jpg
Adrian2.jpg (95.64 KiB) Viewed 7895 times
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

See!!!!, see John; I told you Adrian was catching all your tuna.. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Next we will see Adrian standing on top of tuna with no room in this boat.. oh wait found that picture of him... :skillet:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic