Fall Day On The Bank

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Fall Day On The Bank

Post by AlloyToy »

Up at 2:00 Am and out the door for the haul East and attempt at finding BFT on Stellwagon. Conditions called for W SW 5-10 turning light an variable in the afternoon :thumbsup:

Cast the lines off at 5:30 AM after a few brief conversations with a couple fishermen I know whom all had the same idea with the two slack tide day we would had ahead of us……. Tuna, Cod Tuna.

Made our way East to the bank in 2-3’s and arrived on scene to a beautiful fall sunrise, and lots of birds and a few whales. Set the spread of bars, slug go’s, X-raps, and an Islander out, and the spinning gear with a Rapala X-Rap Walk ready to cast.

Worked the contour line of the Bank heading SE without marking anything big. Did hear of one surface feed around 7:40 AM back to the West, but we decided to continue East in hopes of finding our own fish. Around 9:30 Am we found nothing but weed, and lots of it. The decision was made to run another 10 miles in search of some bottom life. En route we came across a whale show, birds ect… and set the spread back out. Trolled the area for a while only marking bait. Pulled up and continued on our way. Arrived on our spot and sent the 16 oz. hammered diamond jigs to the 380 foot depths. Fishing was OK with a steady pick of nice cod, haddock, cusk, and ocean perch. Made a few moves in the same area finding fish here and there (pic of the first drift).

The highlight of the last drift before we headed back to the bank was when I threw a cusk back that stall had some air in its bladder, and we watched as a 6 foot blue shark ripped across the surface and smoked the fish right in front of us :thumbsup:

Headed back on the hunt for tuna with no love for our efforts. Pulled the plug at 4:30 PM and made the run back to the harbor in FAC conditions. Upon arriving at the harbor what to my wandering eyes should appear…..another Pacific…….. fellow AAB’r Clambo!!!

Great fall day on the water with some fish to show for our efforts…….not many of these days left for us New Englanders
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Re: Fall Day On The Bank

Post by spoiled one »

Looked like a beautiful day to be on the water. Sure beats work!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Yeah it was...I felt guilty for about....mmmmmmm 5 minutes until I poked the bow out past the break water and looked East :rotfl: :rotfl:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Good report there Alloy. And the National Enquirer photo of Clambo. Some one was fast with the camera huh?

Did ya get to "shoot the haddak" with him a moment or two?

Hmmm....I don't know if I could be a Tuna Tracker. Them fishes seem kind tough to catch.
What's a cusk look like? Them smaller red fishes??
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Yeah we shot the breeze for a bit...great guy and was glad to finally put a face to the screen name oh and NICE BOAT :thumbsup:

Cusk is a slimy cross over ocean catfish looking thing kinda like a slimy cod with an eels tail....the red fish in the pic is an Ocean Perch yummy.....

Ahhhh here is a cusk....the big slime bag on the fillet table

Great for fish chowder....some bake them...I feed them to sharks :rotfl:

Tuna can be :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: until you hook up then it's :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: until it breaks off then it's :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: but something about it keeps us coming back..... :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I thought that maybe what they really were. The name many times indicates, not alot of affection.

Here:

-Toadfish
-Grunts
-"Sting" rays
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Awesome report Alloy. :thumbsup:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

21ftcc wrote:Awesome report Alloy. :thumbsup:
Jason, Did you get out??
fishontop

Post by fishontop »

Alloy, where are you running from? Action is good right now off my local waters. Old Scantom is loaded with smaller tuna as we speak. Lots of fish in the 30" to 54" range. Nice to see.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Hey fishontop,

I've heard that. encouraging to see indeed :thumbsup: I remember back in 06 the 42"-48" fish all over the bank......now look at what's out there :shock: I would have to say the mid water ban has played a major roll in the healthy fishery we see.....
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Alloy :

Nice photos of your trip. Buy the way, how does your Pacific perform with a 150 on it ? I was thing when you were talking about it before that it may be just slightly under with a heavy load but it sounds like you get around pretty well without an problem at all.

Those fellows that hung one of those Giants a 970 this one was , had to tow it in ! With a 26 Regulator ! It would have been
a little work but I am sure It could have fit through the Pacifics Tuna door wit a block and tackle. A little doin though....1000 Lbs is a lotta meat !
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Hi Occams,

The season is heating up :thumbsup: The 150 moves her quite well.....I owned it at the time of purchase so that's what I rigged.

Granted this day is FAC but she'll do in the high 30's with 2 POB, fuel, ice ect

My next boat (Rocksalt 27 trailerable :rotfl: just waiting on Jay) will have twins :thumbsup:
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Alloy,
Yes I did get out. Later then I wanted too on Tuesday. We fished inside PT Judith for bait and then ran outside. After a quick set out of balloons and live scup our first bite came. At first I thought it was a smaller tuna the way it was sounding and running under the boat, but turned out be extra large blue fish. So we turn to the Mud Hole. There were only about 25 boats and the only thing people where catching was a buzz. :rotfl:
We did site four LARGE sea turtles eating the jellies. Then later that morning what we thought was tuna far away turned out to be a large group of porpoises, all together about 20 adults and 40 kiddies. Soon after we headed south out side the group and found a 12' foot shark just as I was going to do a jumping flip off the cabin. :shock: So with still nothing we headed to the block. Fishing around the block catching more scup and sea bass, not one Bonita or striper was seen. :banghead: So we heading to the other side of the block. As we fished for more Bonita the GAINTS came in about 1/2 mile off the shore. :shock: :shock: We would bring up a scup and one or two gaints would chase it crashing the back of the boat, but they wouldn't take them. IT WAS VERY STRANGE. Another boat by was having the same thing happen. So that was 25 tuna boats in the wrong place and 2 small boats in the right place! :rotfl: We set out the heavy stuff and waited. Nothing. Well we are going to give it another shot come early next week. This time I will remember to put the camera in the boat and not leave it in the truck. :-?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic