The Good & Bad Tuna

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

The Good & Bad Tuna

Post by AlloyToy »

Weather N winds 5-10 knots seas 1-2 feet :rotfl: Noaa was right again.... :banghead:

4:00 AM shove off, quick jaunt through the salt pond....push the throttle up and point the bow SE for a 38 mile run exploring the fingers of water that pushed into the near offshore grounds.

Arrived at our destination shortly after 6:00 AM after a 24 MPH run through the steep 3' chop....and dry thanks to the AlloyToy Pacific hull modifications :thumbsup: OH :!: and the red lights worked great :thumbsup:

The spread would consist of bars, divers, hex heads, and wood in the wash. My buddy sees a lonely bird flying around, then a few more then a few more, then the place blows wide open with one of the most aggressive feeds I've ever seen. 40#-90# BFT smashing the surface......we bring our spread through the mayhem with no love :banghead:

Check the spread...weed, weed, and more weed....and not good weed :mrgreen: WEED :!: The place is loaded with weed :!: A trolling nightmare...weeded up as you set out.....what a PITA :!:

Trying to keep calm as my heart beats erratically I kick the radar up to 16 mile range.....these fish are all ours :thumbsup:

We work the area for the next hour watching feeds in every direction....we've gotta get eaten here soon :skillet:

I jump on the radio and call in my buddy who I was working with who was scouting some numbers to the south. 45 min later he arrives on scene after what was another intense feed. Tuna darting through schools of Bally's and clearing the water by 4-5 feet

We patrol the area in a paralleling direction. Us with the spread out, and he ready to run & gun (not what I do). There they are 12 o'clock....he runs to the school make a cast with a Ron-Z and he's tight :thumbsup: 20 min later a 49" BFT is pounding the deck of his 20' CC......bap ba bap ba bap bap :thumbsup:

We continue to work the area. He's (buddy boat) tight again with number two :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Around 1:00 PM the schools disapear...and we're fish less. We spot a big Mako crusing the area which had something to do with the tuna being gone I believe :idea: Buddy heads for the barn after offering some fresh forage for the "call in" :thumbsup:

We work our way back to the NW and arrive at the mud hole where we find 76 degree water :idea: ...MAHI :!: Sure enough ther are mahi hanging at the flyers but all smalls 12"-16". We play with them with light tackle for an hour then call it......no pelagic for us but memories and sights that I will never forget :thumbsup: :!:

As they say "ya can't catchem at the dock"....we gave it a shot :beer:
Attachments
IMG_1585.JPG
IMG_1585.JPG (209.41 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: The Good & Bad Tuna

Post by mojomizer »

AT sounds like it's time to jump onto the Plastic swim bait band wagon or dare I say in my best Marlon Brando impersonation
"Stella" 20000 and those high dollar Brabus 186HS lures :shocked:

Those RonZ swim baits seems the ticket.Though I would br more inclined on molding my own over the cold winter :thumbsup:

Keep up the effort , thanks for the report. I expect to see some Tunarolls in the future.

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I really like the looks of those lures MoJo :thumbsup: There goes another $50 :mrgreen:

Stella is too rich for my blood...Spheros and chase the fish is more like it for me :mrgreen:

Naked ballyhoo next time too :idea:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Interesting read AT.
I wish we had that weather and a little cooler water; Say 60 degrees.

I went out in a friend's Plastic boat for the two hour + run for nudda. a few fish where caught by one of the buddy boats we had but they had ran south and out of radio range when they got into the fish. We went 170 some miles used 75 gallons or so of fuel. dump the 10lb load of anchovies overboard for the run in. We had run about 5 miles in and Found a one brief tuna (Albacore) boil. reset the feathers and washed them again before finishing the run in. Heading back to Westport Wa. tomorrow night after work for the Washington Tuna Classic on Saturday.

I will fish for Kings both before and after the work, I am assisting in the setting up and tearing down for the event. The event is to benefit the Wounded Warriors and Northwest Harvest. All the tuna that are caught is being given and canned for the Northwest Harvest' Food Bank. Money goes to the Wounded Warriors Association.

I am supposed to fish it on Saturday as well. Last year I helped with the Setup and Tear-down as well as standing out in the sun all afternoon on the jetty keeping track of who was first in line ready to off load their catch. We just need this week to change the weather pattern of the last two months to bring the warm water and the fish to us. :beer:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic