SoCal fishing 3/21/08

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

SoCal fishing 3/21/08

Post by S L Dave »

Well...I was expecting to post a picture of a big pacific baracuda...or a nice halibut...or maybe even a white sea bass...but,
(check out that alloy bracket!!!!! :lol: )
I launched my boat around 9 AM and realized that I locked my keys in the car on the ramp. Fortunately, it was a very quiet day at the ramp! My wife was still home and she drove down with the spare key. (we only live a couple of miles from the marina)
The ocean was so calm you could water ski if you were so inclined!
(That black thing in the water is a huge sea lion who was frolicking around...a small portion of LA Harbor is in the distance)
I was out at large fishing area off Palos Verdes called the Horseshoe...it was named for the shape of the kelp forest beneath the surface.
I was trolling with a large Rapala without success as I watched my depth finder for bottom structure...no birds to be found.
The wind started picking up and I had a fast drift. Rather than throw out the sea anchor to fish bottom with a jig, I attached a 2 oz Hopkins jig with some squid on the hook...fishing near the bottom.
I caught several small sand bass and some mackrel. I kept these two fish. Not much to brag about...but a beautiful morning on the Pacific Ocean.
Dave
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

Nice Bracket :lol: nice meal ya caught ,good pink fillets .the fish would be larger and more plentiful if you had more alloy though :lol:
NUKE
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

and that looks like Long Beach in the distance :lol:
NUKE
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Hey Nuke,
Just north of Long Beach... maybe Wilmington?...but definately part of the LA Harbor.
Dave
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

For anyone interested ...
The Los Angeles Harbor...AKA The Port of Los Angeles comprises 43 miles of coastline in the San Pedro Bay and borders Long Beach and the Long Beach harbor.
http://www.portoflosangeles.org/about_map.htm
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dave, we need more pictures :D we know you know that you know were you are fishing ya know.

Did ya go out Solo ?

and don't ask me how I posted as a guest .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Hey Les!
Yes, I did go out by myself. I know it is not the safest thing, but it is my time to get away from everything.
I am pretty good about wearing the inflatable belt and using the kill switch teather when trolling...has anyone purchased the wireless kill switch? I now forget the name but it was about $250.
The water was 55-56 degrees today...wouldn't want to be floating out there watching the boat troll away. :oops:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I also go out alone and wear the lanyard take the motor out of gear when working the deck and file a float plan.

Most people don't now how cold the water can be off of So. Cal.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Those fish look very much like our Black Sea Bass here on the right coast.
Except the meat is pure white. And most are not that size, but worth catching anyhow.

Man, that's one bad azz metal bracket......IS IT STAINLESS STEEL????
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Compared to todays's Prolines, she's a blast from the past!!
Back before they cad-cam'd the boats into space ship shapes and wafer thin NON ALLOY, built for the;"hey, honey...it has matching drapes, carpet, racing stripes and tuck and roll upolstry colors....Lets buy this pink and baby blue one!!!"

Dave, I'm ready for mo'.
Keep on, brother... :D :D :D :D
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Dave...that bracket is some type of aluminum alloy. Over 1" thick in some spots. I could probably melt it down and make a .09" thick canoe out of it! :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic