West Coast Vancouver Island - great weekend!!!

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

West Coast Vancouver Island - great weekend!!!

Post by Sculpin »

Well after a new friend of mine named Marc invited me bear hunting this spring I thought I should invite him out fishing this summer. His brother was heading out to BC as well for a holiday so we picked this weekend as the date. My hunting buddy came along with me to make up the fishing party.

We headed up to the West Coast of Vancouver Island for some great fishing, comradery, and relaxation. We found all of that and more. What a great weekend.

We got up there late afternoon on Friday and decided to catch some dinner for ourselves. We headed over to a river mouth to drop some crab pots and on the way there Mr. bear hunter Marc spots a sow and two cubs on the beach.

Marc's bro taking a picture of the bears.

We caught a few rockfish and managed a few red rock crab (no dungees).

The fish cleaning table being cristened by my hunting buddy.

Dinner being prepared.

We had Buffalo Rock Cod wraps as the main course.

You can find the recipe here.
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/article/re...d-wrap-recipe/

These things are to die for. After a nice meal we sat around the fire for a while and then hit the sack for some salmon fishing the next morning.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Re: West Coast Vancouver Island - great weekend!!!

Post by Sculpin »

We headed out to the Hyson Bank for some salmon fishing. Marc and his brother have never caught a spring salmon before. Marc hooked into the first spring of the trip with a beauty.

Then it was Marc's brothers turn.

To say these fellows where excited is an understatement for sure. I love the look on folks faces when they land there first big spring.

We caught, played, and released quite a few salmon on Saturday. It was a great day on the water.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Today we got out extra early and headed to the Hyson again. The weather wasn't as nice and it rained quite a bit but that didn't stop us one bit.

Marc with yet another nice spring.

Marc's bro answered right back.

We played alot more fish today and was a hoot hitting some wild coho on the surface and playing these scrappers for a bit and releasing them.

My hunting buddy with a spring on light gear.

Hamming it up with a hero shot pose.

We all had a turn at the salmon thing but it was time for some lunch and then head out halibut fishing for an hour before heading in early.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Marc and his brother had never been halibut fishing before. Marc was pretty tired from all the salmon fighting earlier but perked right up when my hunting buddy caught the first one.

Here's the halibut brothers hoping for some flatties.

Marc's bro with his first halibut.

Marc with his first halibut.

I think their hooked!!!. They were already talking about bigger coolers and buying a deepfryer on the way home.

Was a great trip with good friends and alot of fun. Can't wait to do it again sometime.

Oh yeah, the Sculpin performed awesome and served us well all weekend. All the mods and overhaul paid off big time!
Gotta love fishing out of an alloy plate boat.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

Hey John:

Thanks for the report. Those are some nice Kings! I've fished out of Uclulet (we stayed at Island west resort), but I don't recall a place call Hyson's bank. Can you describe where to find it?

Thanks,
Mike
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Napa Mike wrote:Hey John:

Thanks for the report. Those are some nice Kings! I've fished out of Uclulet (we stayed at Island west resort), but I don't recall a place call Hyson's bank. Can you describe where to find it?

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,
The Hyson Bank is about mid-way between Tofino and Ucluelet and approx 12 miles offshore. It is a large area with many good structures to fish around. Lot's of banks out there that produce great fishing. I just heard the tuna are in around the 40 mile mark. Might have to give it a whirl this year.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Must I have a "fort" or just a duffle full of Gundens to move there and live off the land.
I can shoot,
I can fish,
I can run down-riggers,
I can run a chain saw.

And I can even if I have too, end all sentences with "ahh?"

Cuz, this no fish catching bullshet is killing me down here in this sweat-box. Sorry, you'll have to get yer numbers on post views by someone else. I can't look anymo' :!:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Must I have a "fort" or just a duffle full of Gundens to move there and live off the land.
I can shoot,
I can fish,
I can run down-riggers,
I can run a chain saw.

And I can even if I have too, end all sentences with "ahh?"

Cuz, this no fish catching bullshet is killing me down here in this sweat-box. Sorry, you'll have to get yer numbers on post views by someone else. I can't look anymo' :!:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Ahh is for when you go to the doctor and he says "open wide" eh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZHbwFRo ... re=related

Sorry about that eh! :rotfl:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Way to gett'em in the boat and show your buddies a great time Sculpin !!! Man do I like your fish cleaning station.
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Sculpin wrote:Ahh is for when you go to the doctor and he says "open wide" eh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZHbwFRo ... re=related

Sorry about that eh! :rotfl:

Back at ya Brother....sorry, I knew it was something like that, eh?
I'll take a cold Molson.

(let it be known I just sent your photos of those fish rich in Fattie acids and Omega three complex heart healthy vitamins, to about 20 people who are sweating their azzes off, and haven't caught a decent fish since June and a few since April. Hope none of your buddies are wanted or anything....... :rotfl: :rotfl: )
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

[/quote]

Hi Mike,
The Hyson Bank is about mid-way between Tofino and Ucluelet and approx 12 miles offshore. It is a large area with many good structures to fish around. Lot's of banks out there that produce great fishing. I just heard the tuna are in around the 40 mile mark. Might have to give it a whirl this year.

Cheers,
John[/quote]
Don't do it John it is a sickness. you will die a broke but happy man unless you go out and only catch one :shocked:
Good report
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote: Don't do it John it is a sickness. you will die a broke but happy man unless you go out and only catch one :shocked:
Good report
Bring on the sickness :gunner2: . I probably will hop on a guide buddies boat for my first trip to learn the ropes so to speak. I'm sure I can find the water break but I don't want to waste fuel and time flailing out there with gear etc.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic