Westport, WA. Salmon-Sunday (o8-14-11)

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
wetwhopper

Westport, WA. Salmon-Sunday (o8-14-11)

Post by wetwhopper »

Alright I'm gonna try to give this fish'n report thing a try for the 1st time so bare with me here...

While posting on one of the boards here Goatram generously offered me a spot on his boat with the intention to go chase tuna outside of Westport, Wa. I was glad to accept and was very excited, as I have never been tuna chasing yet. Goatram texts me filling me in that the latest tuna intell. is not looking too promising, so he made the call to chase Chinook and Coho instead.

One of the guys that was going to originally go out with us had to cancel which made room on the Tin Lizzy for my little brother, Dean. I leave my house around 4am and arrive @ my brother's a bit before 5am. I don't see any lights on, so I leave my keys in the ignition with my door open. Next thing I know there's just a little breeze and I hear my F150 door latch, with my keys still in the ignition. I finally get my brother out of bed and let him know that we have a "little" problem.

It took us about 15min. to break into my truck which left us 30 min. to get to Westport (that usually takes 40min.) . We showed up @ the docks 10 min. after 6am. I spotted Goatram on the Tin Lizzy a mile away and he told us to hop aboard. We left the marina soon afterword charging hard through the bar. I'm now a big fan of air ride seats!

I believe we started fishing around 15 mi. out in around 320' feet of water going w/ cut plug herring between 50' and 90' feet. It took us awhile to get in the groove with Dean and I new to downrigger fishing. John did'nt bat an eye and was very good about showing us the ropes. We were on fish pretty steady throughout the morning. The big fish of the day was a 26lb. King that was a hoot to get into the boat. Throughout the rest of the day we won some and lost our fair share. We went home with 3 nice kings and as many silvers.

Back at the docks it was very evident to me that John a.k.a. "Goatram" has rockstar status with all the other anglers. There wasn't a moment that some bloody decker wasn't give us the bird, or someone hailing him on the vhf. I'd go fishing with him anytime! Thanks again John :highfive:

My son erased my cell pics but maybe John will post some to this thread???
Last edited by wetwhopper on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
Sculpin

Re: Westport Salmon

Post by Sculpin »

That's a good first report wet hopper. Use a few breaks in the sentences to form paragraphs and it will make for easier reading is all.

I left my boat keys at home one time :banghead: and it's a 5 hour round trip to home and back to the boat. I found new appreciation in my wife when she actually offered to meet me half way!

Can't wait to see the pic's if goatram has any. Congrats on the good fishing and that nice "king", or spring, or chinook ( it all tastes the same). :thumbsup:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Westport, WA. Salmon-Sunday (o8-14-11)

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You say, those Bloddy Deckers were flipping him the bird?
Hmmmm...Rock Star status?????

C'C'mon... :thumbsup:

Yes, pics would be great. Cuz we all know that a report without pics is just a report.

Although a good one!

You'll probably be down-rigger'n it soon enough. I'm still trying to figure out where all these places are up yonder.
I need to go wear-out Goggle Earth.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

I Had Fun on Sunday with Rich and his brother Dean. We had multiple hook ups along with multiple releases do to either small or that the fish spit the hook. The Rule off the Law is to Pinch the Barb down. I do that on my boat. The Silvers where almost all Native that had to be released. The day before I was out and got my limits as well. Biggest of the day was one that after gutting it and pulling 4 herring out of its stomach 3 ea 10" long and one 6" it still weighed in at 26lbs. Mike Miller's Cleaning Table worked good for bait prep and cleaning of the fish.
Harry aka Seadawg, BD brotha from San Diego  with a 28lb Cleaned/Gutted King Caught on Saturday
Harry aka Seadawg, BD brotha from San Diego with a 28lb Cleaned/Gutted King Caught on Saturday
King Salmon 009.jpg (73 KiB) Viewed 7705 times
Fish caught first thing on the morning 5 minutes after reaching the grounds.

Here is Rich on the boat along with one of his brother Dean holding the big fish of the day at 26 lbs. We had bigger fish on that spit the hook or we broke off. Neat thing was If we had trolled around a bunch with out any action we would induce a bite by bringing the downrigger up with the line still attached to it. Fish on.
Rich aka Wethopper
Rich aka Wethopper
King Salmon 010.jpg (108.57 KiB) Viewed 7705 times
Dean with a 26 lb King
Dean with a 26 lb King
King Salmon 011.jpg (92.75 KiB) Viewed 7705 times

As to my rock star status I ain't one that is for sure. I know of a few guys and they call me out. Sunday Night when we returned to the dock at 4:30; I was accused of having my Gonads in my wife's purse. ( I just spent 2 and a half days fishing and away from home ) It seemed that my Bloodydecks Brotha's were going Tuna fishing in two hours for a overnight trip. ( I was supposed to be at work Monday afternoon. My Home is 3.5 hours north east of Westport. Phone reception is spotty on the docks, even less 56 miles off shore. ) While I was trying to think through of what to do with some of my issues. They rode me pretty hard in front of Rich and Dan. They were going to call me out on the Net and shame me. Heck no I wanna fish But I still had some Calls to make before I can say yes.
1. My rig (The Pee powered Tuck, the Camper and Boat along with all of the Fishing Gear) What do I do with it?

2. It's Sunday Evening, I have to call My boss and a semi boss (long Story) She is not home and Jeff the semi boss/lead of the crew I work with was. Told him I was going fishing. Boss Lady calls and asks a few questions and then she blesses a sick day. I owe her some fish now.

3 . I have to call my wife and tel her I am going Fishing. (did not tell her how much it was going to cost)

We did a quick rinse of the boat and went and got my truck and trailer to load my boat. My BD brotha's said I could leave it at the Campground out side off of the road. As I was bringing the boat around I thought that was not a good Idea. It would be safer at the dock I thought. Change of plans; I Yell out to Rich that I was leaving the boat at the dock. Get back to Float 6
Rich is there and said his brother said I could leave my boat at his house. He could drive it home and when I got back it was 5 minutes out of the way to his house and that he would rinse the motors. OK Says I and back to the Launch to pull the boat.
Wench Strap broke twice. But we got it out and I got my required gear I would need to fish with. Dean Drives off with my TRUCK
850688.jpg
850688.jpg (42.62 KiB) Viewed 7705 times
It was safe and Sound at Dean's house at 8pm Monday Night when I went to pick it up. Power of the AAB brothahood showing throu. Thanks to you Rich and Dan.

I get in my Buddy's truck with the Aluminum 24' Raider boat in tow. We need to get gas food and Ice. Get all of that and we launch and pull out at 7 pm. A Hundred gallons of fuel and 22 hours later we returned to the dock with 1 20lb tuna for our enjoyment. Water was good but the Fishing was not there. we washed all of the gear trying to find fish. Lost a couple of tackle items as well do to kelp and wood ie. 4X4's and logs.
Last edited by goatram on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Got pretty crazy @ the end of the day, thanks for saving my post w/ the pics and my bros name (that you left your 21' North River, beautiful rig and all your gear with) is Dean. Lol! I love it!
goatram

Post by goatram »

wetwhopper wrote::rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Got pretty crazy @ the end of the day, thanks for saving my post w/ the pics and my bros name (that you left your 21' North River, beautiful rig and all your gear with) is Dean. Lol! I love it!
What are you talking about I got your Brother's name Dean right. :banghead: :rotfl:
Sorry I left the E out. Those Nun's in Grade School Beat me too many times for spelling errors :deadhorse:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Sooooo,

Let's see if I can paraphrase this story, with properly spelled words.

Ya'll went fishing in your boat, had a good time, everything went good, caught some fish, and met some new folks.
(non-bloody deckers, but AAB'ers including one brother named DEAN, with a E?

You got pressured by one or a few Bloody deckers, to drop all you had, get rid of your boat safely somehow, call the wife, multiple bosses, promise give-away fish, break a "in need of replacement two years ago" winch strap on the trailer, scramble to get shet for your Bloody Decker buddies boat, spending allot more money. Have Curious George and his brother handle your boat. (get to play a bit with the pee-pee powered truck??)

You head out with a Bloody Decker, loose tackle, bounce in some not so perfect seas, regain the fact that you don't wear PANTIES

-are ya sure the boat you were on wasn't Mojo-Mark's boat??? :rotfl: :rotfl:

and catch one 20 pound Tuna?
what, an Albacore??
what, no picture of this hard earned fish?

Curious George, that's one bad azz FORD truck ain't it? ( On the show TOP GEAR, it won the drag race, and burn-out between, Dodge and Chevy's diesels.)

Heck with the boat, huh? Ya'll could jus leave me on the dock and I could have enough fun jus driving the truck around a parking lot. Since it's "over-kill" that I'll never be able to afford.

Hmmmmm.
goatram

Post by goatram »

That About summed it up. Short sweet but not wordy enough. Your version that is. I suck at taking pictures. :mrgreen:
That Strap was replaced two years ago.
Yup an albi and no picture :thumbsup:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Hey Goatram, I LOVE the OMG-WTF picture. Almost fell out of the chair when I scrolled down & saw it. :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

What the hell!!!!!

Do I see some of those fu'fu bottles of frapachino de coffee'o from starbucks lost amongst all the "stink bait" bottles in the back of that boat?? :nutkick:

Hmmmmm, I'm almost starting to re-think why those Bloody Deckers (the manly men) thought ya were wearin' panties.

Frapachino de coffee'o and air ride seats????

Oh John! :rotfl: :rotfl: Image
goatram

Post by goatram »

I Know Dave you never ever have been to the Land of the rising Sun Japan. In Japan they have Drink machines that Spit out Mr. Coffee Cans (for a 100 Yen while I was stationed there) all nice and warm. Two of them gave you a Caffeine Rush 200 yen=$2. Awesome to say the least. I still like my coffee Black but I do not carry a Thermos. The Starbucks coffee sits in a compartment and waits for me to grab it and I do drink it. Good Stuff Maynard! You should try it. Remember Seattle is the land of Starbucks and Tully's do a search and I think we are up there in the coffee drinkers of America list top two. The two things that we have on almost every corner are Expresso Stands and Teriyaki shops run by Koreans. Kinda like Bakery's and Donut shops on the East Coast. :soap:

Air Ride seats are awesome. Try them and YOU WILL like them. My 6 Herniated Disks in my Back do as well as my knees. :gunner2:

And that is no Banana's either
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Uh, hmmm..., sniff, sniff, snort... Goatram, I don't remember drinkin no stink'n sissy coffee, do you? Must be some kinda mistake? That brown stuff is a new pro cure color. Lol!
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Great spirited stuff guys!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic