Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

GOT CHUM?

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Like a Boy Scout.
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Re: GOT CHUM?

Post by Sabs28 »

Well, that is one more option I will add to my list when I order my boat. Do you think it will come with the sticker on it?? :thumbsup:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

They will put any sticker you want on it . :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

NOPE, ya have to get yer own decal.

And this of course was a "Jettywolf design", thanks to all my fellow Aussie Aluminum boat owners, & Dennis Braid from Braid Fishing Products in California, not a Pacific factory design.

But ya may want to definately get the side rub rails. I wish I had.

Hey W,

Texas ain't the only place that is big Truck country. I'm really starting to see allot of these poking up thru the bed around here on big Diesels.

When ya goin' "smoke stack" on that Dodge??
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I don't need to go through the bed , it's more fun to get Farmer Jane to see if something is hanging under the truck. :mrgreen:
Attachments
FJsmoke4.jpg
FJsmoke4.jpg (165.93 KiB) Viewed 10617 times
Lester,
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I remember that picture.....

"but it looks like if ya wanna run with the big dawgs, the stack thru the bed is the next cool guy trend in the world of, what the hell else can I do with my diesel truck, now"

Kinda like me and my chum chopper :rotfl: :skipper: :rotfl:
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

Hey Jetty.

Those side rub rails you are always talking about, The one welded almost the length of the boat about 12 inches above the water line right?? From what I "noticed" on Pacific's website is they offer them on "Commercial" vessels. Don't see as an option on BL's new Brochure. Worth getting???
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

rub rails are a BIG 10-4 , get them . They also help to keep some spray down.
Lester,
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Sabs28 wrote:Hey Jetty.

Those side rub rails you are always talking about, The one welded almost the length of the boat about 12 inches above the water line right?? From what I "noticed" on Pacific's website is they offer them on "Commercial" vessels. Don't see as an option on BL's new Brochure. Worth getting???
There is no commercial vessels, they're all the same. "IF YOU GOT THE MONEY HONEY, THEY HAVE THE TIME."

Back when Jay Perotta was running the show at BLM they were in his price list. I have no idea what they're doing now with the company. But if you ask Julie at Pacific, she'll maybe even build ya a chum chopper aka: Aussie Burley Bucket too, if ya gotz the cashola.

Yes, that's them. I believe very much worth it. B-U-T, they maybe way too high for the docks you use(??) They would for me, as I use all floating docks. And where the floating dock hits, is usually below where the actual rub rails are. Tom, north of me in Amelia Island has them, and his docks are floaters, and his one rail is too high, I believe he said also.
Here's Tom's boat, between where the rail is and the weld mark from the inside deck....along that mark is where my 26, and I believe Tom's 26 rides along most floating docks. So it would have to be lower. His boat weights more than mine even, since he everything but the kitchen sink and "fort" on it. My boat is lean and unlike "me" is light.

If they are too high and tied off at a floating dock, with loads of wake traffic, the rails are another problem if too high, because they will come down and hit the dock, when tied off tight without any fenders (the purpose for me would be to not have to use fenders)
So, you can see I kinda have studied all the angles.

I'd like to have double rails myself rather than just one. I fish ALLOT in the winter tied off to concrete pilings, bulkheads, and end up drifting and laying up on stuff.

Soooo, since these boats float high in the water. You'd if you were like me, would need them closer to the water line.

Where my boat rubs on a dock is at least 6" lower than where they put the rails. I wish I could get me some and done by someone I could trust, because the huge line of dock rash down the side of my boat is where I'd want 'em. And is blatant as hell where they are needed.

I could have used a set of boat fenders, but then again it's more CRAP to carry. I haven't used a "fender" since the day I got my boat, so let the dock rash shine! I guess.

Does that answer yer question? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Oh. On the chum chopper topic here's it's first try of useage, this spring. Just as tha bait started to show up:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BLM26CC?fea ... BQ6G1phmb0
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

Yup, Answers my question. Rather be safe than sorry. I was actually eying the double rails. I mentioned "Commercial" vessel because you have to click on the "Commercial" link to see the other half of cool options that aren't on the "Recreational" side of the site. Just an FYI. On another note to rub rails, Could mount them vertical, 3 on each side. Mount them from the weld line on the floor to the gunnel's. May look a little "Goofy" but would take the guess work out of figuring out the height. Pros & cons to any idea I guess. Like an old friend of mine used to say, "Don't knock it till you try it twice" :mrgreen:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I would like one at the deck weld and the big honken D-rubber right under the gunwale extrusion .
Lester,
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

Never thought of that combo. Great idea. Cha-Ching :highfive:
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

Hey Welder & Jetty,
Was looking at the "D-rubber" that mounts under the gunnel. Says it is 3" thick. Won't that make it to wide to "LEGALLY" tow over the road??
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Sabs28 wrote:Yup, Answers my question. Rather be safe than sorry. I was actually eying the double rails. I mentioned "Commercial" vessel because you have to click on the "Commercial" link to see the other half of cool options that aren't on the "Recreational" side of the site. Just an FYI. On another note to rub rails, Could mount them vertical, 3 on each side. Mount them from the weld line on the floor to the gunnel's. May look a little "Goofy" but would take the guess work out of figuring out the height. Pros & cons to any idea I guess. Like an old friend of mine used to say, "Don't knock it till you try it twice" :mrgreen:

Yeah Sab, plenty of boats have that.

and the last thing I'd worry about is some rubber attachment making the boat too wide to trailer.
But that's jus me. I like to do as I please.
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

Yup will definitely do the side rails. Will have to measure the docks where I launch. Would like to keep as many scratches off the boat as I can. Took some PRETTY good chunks out of the graphics of my Lund from rubbing on the docks. :banghead:
Last edited by Sabs28 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Rub Rail....get em you won't be disappointed :thumbsup:

It also stiffin's the side walls and deaden's the "gung" sound when ya'll take one broad side :beer:

2" schedule 40 tubing cut in half with a skill saw and a plywood blade :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG-20110721-00022.jpg
IMG-20110721-00022.jpg (74.93 KiB) Viewed 10384 times
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

Like your setup Alloy. I think the round ones look better then the square ones. :thumbsup: How long do those have to be??
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Sabs28 wrote:Like your setup Alloy. I think the round ones look better then the square ones. :thumbsup: How long do those have to be??
Sabs,
I made them as long as I could buy the tubing.....12' but cut them back after laying the tubing against the hull. As we moved forward toward the bow the bend in the side plates of the boat was too much to bend the tubing so that kinda established the length more so......

I made my heights and spacing aesthetic to the eye as I trailer all over and no two docks are the same height all the time....

The box tubing is a bit bulky for my liking......
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

Thanks Alloy,

I was hoping 10-12 feet. Tubing usually comes in 20 or 24 foot lengths depending on what material/ grade you want. That will work PERFECT, Cut it in half & slice it down the middle. Ya, trying to bend tubing around a corner is not a good time. :banghead:
Last edited by Sabs28 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

If you are going to cover most dock situations then you need the other commercial solution. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

I think I may do a "Alloy-PJAY" combo, Mount 3 rails on each side at 45 degree angle. Would give you the best of both worlds. What do you guys think?????? :idea:
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Sabs28 wrote:I think I may do a "Alloy-PJAY" combo, Mount 3 rails on each side at 45 degree angle. Would give you the best of both worlds. What do you guys think?????? :idea:
Don't forget the one at the stern. They are all at diff angles to fit the side on look of being parallel as they go around the curve of the bow section. Also make sure the spacing is correct that a straight edged between them will not touch the hull.

It took some "math and stand back and look at it"! But the builder most likely has it all figured out! I'd love to do a combo of twin side rails and the verticals, Maure on the next boat...don't tell the DW!!! Good luck! Capt PJ

one more
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic