PTown

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

PTown

Post by Tin Cup »

We fished Provincetown (the very tip of Cape Cod Mass) last Thursday. My brother joined me with his two girls, a trip we all were looking forward to as we hammered them on this trip last year. They left VT at 2:30am, got to my house at 5:45am, we hit the road at 6am for a 7:15am ramp arrival. We put in at Sandwich at the east end of the Cape Cod Canal and run NE to Ptown, about 35 min @ 27 -28 knts in calm conditions.

Using tube and worm, the first strike comes quickly followed by an immediate break off of the lead core line, leaving us with only about 5 1/2 colors and no backing on this rod, bummer. Usually we are fishing 4-5 colors, I have two identical leadcore setups that are on their 4th season. I've never had one break like that before and will change them every three years from now on.

The bite dies off pretty quickly after each niece gets a keeper. We work the whole area inside and outside until about 1pm but it's dead, not even a bluefish. We did see some whales including a small one that surfaced about 50 yards off of port, very cool. :clap: My brother wasn't showing it but I know he was dying to get his fish. :banghead: We head back as the south wind starts to blow as forecast. We pound our way back in a 2-3' head sea making me want a bigger boat even more.

Across the bay we have some protection from the upper cape so we fish while the girls nap on the bow. After about an hour of nothing and needing to head in, my brothers rod gets hammered and quickly spooled as he was holding the rod that previously broke off. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Poor guy, the shocked and frustrated look on his face was priceless. It was a fun day nonetheless and they went home with some meat. What troopers, they did not get back to VT until about 10pm. :thumbsup: It had to be a long ride home for him thinking about the one that got away! We'll get 'em next time :skipper:
Attachments
mms95picture (800x600).jpg
mms95picture (800x600).jpg (254.56 KiB) Viewed 8144 times
image9503 (600x800) (480x640).jpg
image9503 (600x800) (480x640).jpg (186.43 KiB) Viewed 8144 times
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: PTown

Post by Chaps »

Your brother must be one nervous dad having to watch over those two cuties :shocked: :shocked: :mrgreen:
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Nice fish. Beautiful kids! :thumbsup:
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Hey, nice catching there TC

Would have liked to have seen the look on your brother's face at that moment. :scuba:

I assume that you are trolling while using the leadcore?

Might be time to consider a pair or downriggers in conjunction with the LC
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

Yep my Bro has his hands full for the next 5-6 years but they are good kids and won't give him too many headaches.

Yes trolling with lead core, usually targeting 25-30' and rarely need deeper then 35'. This is mainly a mid summer - fall, daytime tactic when the stripers are sitting on the bottom. Around here you mostly see guys trolling and either wire line jigging or using leadcore with a tube. I'm a fan of the lead core approach, its been productive for me. I like the simplicity and feel like I always get the bait where it needs to be. I see limitations with leadcore below 35-40' and usually would jig for this.

I've never used a downrigger, why would you use one in conjunction with leadcore? Oh no, more reasons to buy more tackle!
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

You don't use lead core, just a normal mainline. downrigger has a lead ball with a release clip for your mainline. when fish takes the bait mainline detaches from leadball and you are fighting the fish unencumbered with lead, planers or sinkers. its how we fish for salmon here in pacnw

1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Thanks for the great fishing report. You'll get that monster next time! :thumbsup:
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Where do you normally launch from? If you ever come up around Ipswich Bay, Cape Ann or Salem harbor area we can meet up.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

MacCTD,

I have put in anywhere from Boston Harbor and South to New London CT area and many points in between. Will be in Boston Harbor this weekend. I haven't gone North yet only because it's further for me, as it is I'm averaging about 150 miles round trip. I would love to do it sometime though. Maybe a New England Chapter AAB fishing derby next season. Those left coasters put us to shame with that Alaska trip :beer: Maybe Capt G can take us out to catch some giants!!!

Eric
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Tin Cup wrote: Yes trolling with lead core, usually targeting 25-30' and rarely need deeper then 35'. This is mainly a mid summer - fall, daytime tactic when the stripers are sitting on the bottom. Around here you mostly see guys trolling and either wire line

I've never used a downrigger, why would you use one in conjunction with leadcore?
Sorry about my poor wording
Mono with the downriggers and leadcore up the center on a third rod

Seeing that you're only in 35' or less and trolling the bottom, a downrigger won't be a good choice because of the DR weight needing to be so close to the bottom. If the DR weight drags the bottom, that won't be good

Three way swivel, mono or better yet, braid and enough lead to keep you down?
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You ought to give one of these a try.......a superior product. I can't fish without mine.

"like Tim the Toolman Taylor"

Easier to have on your side than what ya have there I see on yer boat.

http://www.jusgrabitglove.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic