WCVI Aug.20/2011 - Nice fish, sharks, and such....

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

WCVI Aug.20/2011 - Nice fish, sharks, and such....

Post by Sculpin »

Well last weekend was more than interesting to say the least. My hunting buddy, his buddy, and my buddy Steve headed out to the Hyson again on Saturday.

Steve came up for the day and hooked a couple of nice fish for sure. It was first trip out this year. I always bug him because he likes to just use a white hootchie with a green stripe behind a plain red hot spot flasher all the time no matter what depth etc. (pretty boring!).

Well the green and white hootchie was the hottest lure of the day by far. We all switched over and were wacking fish all day on it!

Steve with a couple of decent fish.

Hunting buddy with a nice one using medium herring in a purple haze teaser head behind a purple haze flasher.

My buddy RP out with some clients (sorry for the ping pong shot but he's the guy that got us out fishing while the Sculpin was being worked on).

Continued..........
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Re: WCVI Aug.20/2011 - Nice fish, sharks, and such....

Post by Sculpin »

After a few fish in the boat it slowed down so we moved over near the Wreck. We heard some great reports coming from that direction. We wanted to get our bottom bouncing out of the way so we started jigging for halibut.

Steve and I jigged the bottom on one side and my hunting buddy started cleaning fish while his buddy jigged shallow with a buzz bomb on the other side. We picked up a few halibut and the buzz bomb side kept wacking pinks on almost every drop. I don't know which was funner but it was pretty awesome action going on.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! (just for Jetty I have been flipping my butt for the pictures).

This picture might explain what happened next.

While drifting and leaving a nice blood trail this guy shows up to the party.

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

He even took a swipe at a pink that didn't get reeled in fast enough.

This is the first time I got any half decent shots of a shark out there. We guestimate it was about a 7 footer. My son hooked one around the same size last year and he had a pretty wild ride playing it before it finally broke off.

Sunday was a different story all together. We really wanted to head out to the Hyson again for some springs but she was socked in thick with fog and there was a call for some SE winds to kick up at anytime. The wind held back and the swell picked up a little but the fog was very thick.

We wondered onto the banks very slow and fished the Turtle Head for about an hour and had lots of action with small fish but no bigger fish showing up. We decided to move out a bit and try some other contours etc. with the same results.

We headed in to just the edge of the bank in front of Ukee and tried for some halibut. No luck either but while trying my hunting buddy thought he was hooked on bottom but it was giving just a little at a time. Total dead weight with zero action the whole way up. We were all guessing a piece of rock or something. Nope...........

The tentacles were at least 4 feet long or longer. We have caught small ones in the prawn traps before but nother like this one.

Really cool weekend. Lot's of surprises. That's part of why I love fishing the WCVI.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Neat report John.
It was foggy off of Westport Too. Left the Dock at 6 am. As soon as we got out of the Marina the Fog was there. A bunch of boats going Helter Skelter out across the bar. Never really cleared the hole day. Got 8 fish Three hach Silvers, three kings, and two pinks. Could not keep the wild Coho off of the Cut Plugs. Finally found the kings at 1pm down at 150' in 215' of water.

As to the Pictures I forgot my camera and the guy that went with me did not take many that I know of.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:Neat report John.
It was foggy off of Westport Too. Left the Dock at 6 am. As soon as we got out of the Marina the Fog was there. A bunch of boats going Helter Skelter out across the bar. Never really cleared the hole day. Got 8 fish Three hach Silvers, three kings, and two pinks. Could not keep the wild Coho off of the Cut Plugs. Finally found the kings at 1pm down at 150' in 215' of water.

As to the Pictures I forgot my camera and the guy that went with me did not take many that I know of.
I hear yah John on the plugs etc. Doesn't work to keep those coho off. Sounds like a good trip. This weekend looks great. You heading out?
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Nice trip, John! I missed it the first time around. We caught an octopus about that size on a big curly tail, lead head this summer. Stuck a knife between the eyes and saved it for bait. Do you ever drop those buzz bombs down to the bottom to tease the butts? It is a hoot on light gear. We pulled a 207 pounder a few years ago on one with salmon gear. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

Pete
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

Nice report sounds like fun I would like to come up that way and fish some time.

Mike
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic