Albie On

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Albie On

Post by Tin Cup »

The last few trips have been spent looking for top water action only, really hoping to find Bones or Albies as this has been a goal for me since getting the boat four years ago. The seasonal window is small for these fish and considerably smaller for me living 80 miles away, I only get a couple of shots a year for these. The rips have been productive for stripers lately but no love from the funny fish and seemingly too few bluefish to be possible. Anybody else not catching bluefish this year, I can't figure it out.

Two days before Irene hit was a very productive solo trip, stripers on a two plus hour surface feed in perfect fly casting conditions.

Some Irene damage in Narragansett Bay

On Wednesday morning a good friend drove up from northern NJ and we launched out of New London, CT.

We searched around several areas with no luck then focused on a rip that was showing some signs of life. The fish would rise in small scattered pods for a few seconds and then be gone. No time for even the birds to find them so forget about 'run and gun' tactics. You have to be in the right place at the right time so we start trolling the area as it seemed like it was going to turn on. It didn't turn on and we managed only 1 small bluefish with almost a day's effort complete.

With less than an hour before quitting time I see a small boil about 20 yards off the bow. I bark to my compadre who didn’t see the rise, to grab a rod and cast to ten o'clock. His DeadlyDick (dirtydick as he calls them :rotfl: ) is perfectly on target and he's hooked up instantly. On the first run I'm thinking he's into a nice striper and I have him tighten down the drag a little. During the second run I'm thinking this is a little unusual maybe a really big bluefish or possibly a bigger striper then initially imagined. It was the third run and with maximum drag on the fish when I start thinking that we’re hooked into the boat’s first tuna. Eventually the distinctive worm pattern flashed boat-side confirming my hopes.

We did see a Pacific heading west as we were heading east back to the ramp, a 2025 HT I believe. Not too many Pacific's in those parts.

It’s amazing how one relatively small, arguably inedible fish that I didn't even catch makes the whole trip worthwhile. Who says men are shallow :beer: Weather looks good for next week, still time to find a bonito or try for one on the fly!