Tuna

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Tuna

Post by goatram »

Ok I hate taking pictures. These are not mine but they show that I finally scored on the Albis. Last week on the Washington BD Board a thread was posted up about the upcoming W/E's weather, that the tuna were biting, and wanted to join in the battle to kill some fish. I checked NOAA and Wetsand website's and Wetsand's looked doable with the weather improving thru the W/E.
I call two friends and they are interested in going. Weather depending of course.

I Called Harold's (aka polywave) Doctor's Office for an appt. for a second opinion They first threw out a date of the 27 Oct. Same day as a VA appointment up North for my claim for increased Rating on my VA Disability pension. ask for another date she throws out Friday the Day I was planning on taking off to head to Westport to Tuna Fish. The appointment was for 11 am and the doctor is behind by an hour. I see him and back on the road by 12:30 pm heading north to get my truck and boat that I left at the Navy Commissary Parking Lot where my wife was at. I forgot my outriggers so I need to stop at home and slide the 15' poles into her Ford Fusion. I am three miles from My exit and get popped for a 70 in a 60 MPH zone so Bye Bye $113 for the ticket. Crap first ticket in ten years or better. I am now even further behind. I get the poles get my rig. Load it up with less expensive Ice from the Comm instead of paying twice the price at the Big Apple Grocery store in WP. Seems the machine at the local Crab Processor that makes Sea Ice broke down so you either buy it elsewhere or pay the price. I am finally on the road to WP by 3 pm Missed the traffic window and it takes me 5 1/2 hours to get to WP instead of 3 1/2. launch the boat get to bed for some sleep.

We get up and head to the boat and meet up with our Buddy Boats; get bait and head out. The Bar was good and the ride out was a little bumpy. We hear reports of fish biting 6 miles from our destination. Pull in and set the troll gear not much action for the day we did catch 4 fish for the day plus a blue shark. Lost 3 more tuna. Wind was blowing around 15. We tried to get bait Stops going but found no love. This was the first time I or my crew fished this year for tuna because of the weather and Tuna were not wanting to play. Ride in was SPORTY with the Swell coming from the West and the wind out of the North and us heading in NE direction A slow bumpy ride. When we got in we pulled the boat for refuel 56 gallons later we relaunched and tied up for the night.

Next morning woke up to a different forecast than the one we went to bed with. SC advisory a little south of where we were the the day before. We talked it over and with our buddy boat and others in the area we decided to try it. Headed out for the trip at 7:30 to flat but foggy bar and arrived on the grounds to Sun Shinning But bigger than the forecasted 5' swell it was like 8 to 9' with a 1' wind wave. We did decide to not troll for the day but look for the boils. We found a couple and scored but not the big numbers of others were calling out. around 11 am a call went out that the bite was on three miles away and come and get em. so we came. We had a few equipment Malfunctions and rough water but we scored 17 total fish for the day. The water was rougher on the run in at the beginning but about 5 miles into the run it flattened out and I ran in at 4000 to 4200 RPM speeds of 19 to 28 MPH (Not KNOTS). Hour and a half later we were at the dock getting ready to head home for clean up.

Morning came and 9 am we started to clean the fish and the boat finished and everything put away by 2pm
Tin Lizzy on the road with good tidings in store
Tin Lizzy on the road with good tidings in store
tuna4.jpg (105.94 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
cleaning fish
cleaning fish
tuna1.jpg (261.7 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
tuna2.jpg
tuna2.jpg (233.05 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
20  fish cleaned and on the table. We found a bonus fish on Ice in the fish hold when we started the boat.
20 fish cleaned and on the table. We found a bonus fish on Ice in the fish hold when we started the boat.
tuna3.jpg (213.44 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
one ready to be carked
one ready to be carked
tuna5.jpg (139.25 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
goatram

Re: Tuna

Post by goatram »

Also to add to the equation this i was the first time I ran out with a bait tank on my swim step. Dead loss form the 5lbs of anchovies was about 10 or so. We had more once we started to fish due to a certain person Not I but another getting 7 or 8 chovies in the dip net and putting them on the Miller Cleaning table to select one and leaving them there for a few minutes while he collar hooked it and tossed it into the water and let it out.he would then release a couple and release the rest into the tank :banghead:

The Bait Tank is home made from a 30 gallon white plastic barrel and PVC fitting. I will take a picture and post it
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Nice report, John. How does tuna keep in the freezer? What is the best way to prepare it fresh? I have always bought sashimi grade and either pan seared it or just dip in some wasabi and soy. :thumbsup:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
goatram

Post by goatram »

Pete
Unlike you or Les I do not cook. My wife is from Thailand and she prepares it like you do and also on the grill seasoned in her way. It lasts for year or so vacuum bagged. My wife has not canned before so i mooch off of others for that.

The way it was taught by my teachers that schooled me in the way of handling the Albacore Tuna is to Brain Spike and Either cut along the Lateral line or rip the gills out then drop them into a barrel to bleed out and to start cooling them off by spraying water on them. After about 15 minutes you get them on Ice. The Ice made from Salt water will cool them down faster and makes them easier to Cark/clean the next day. Problem is your hands are wickedly cold after the first tuna
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Roger that. Now I am hungry for some tuna.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Well done :thumbsup: What are you fishing for gear for these guys :?:
goatram

Post by goatram »

Four caught on Saturday; Three on Big Hammer Swim Baits in the pacific anchovy color out in the clear water on the out riggers. The other on a hand line and Xrap 30; blue color.
Sunday 17 fish caught on Live Anchovies.

I have a mix of rods and reels TLD 15's, Okuma cl-55s that serve as my halibut reels. Rods = Lamaglas, Trevalas, and Ugly sticks.

On Monday morning all of my Rods and Reels where out side waiting to be rinsed and dried prior to being stored away. MY SWMBO aka Wife asked if they where all mine and she was not happy with the Affirmative answer :skillet:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Congrats! Sounded like a "blast!" Happy to hear you were finally able to put the smack-down on some tuna.
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Keep catching them!

Have you ever done any home canning with your fish?
I did some this year for the first time.
After eating home canned tuna, you will never want to eat "chunk light" tuna from a can ever again!

1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
goatram

Post by goatram »

No. The wife has not canned before.

That is not fair to show that last Picture the lids say BFT AKA Blue Fin Tuna. The fleet has not found them yet. There are some YFT around thou.

Rich I was thinking of you. If Saturday had been better for my boat I was thinking of passing you a invite.
Last edited by goatram on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Nice report goatram!!!! :thumbsup: . I read through a bunch of them on the Black and Red site. That's what I call putting away the winter meat. A bunch of us Canuck Islanders are planning a trip next near on a party boat out of Westport. Should be fun.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

goatram,
Don't mind the BFT
Albacore is #1 for canning!

Get the wife on it! lol
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Goatram, I know I'm pretty much "ballast" when it comes to tuna fishing, but if you ever need some... I'M YOUR MAN! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic