Beautiful day on the water - Christmas prawning

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

Beautiful day on the water - Christmas prawning

Post by Sculpin »

Well since we built a nice shelter for the Sculpin we thought we better get her out there catching some prawns. Today was beautiful out on the water and was really fun to get out there and catch some food for Christmas. The boat ran great and we managed around 400 prawns.

Hauling them up.

The scenery

Mmmm good eats!

The peanut gallery following us home munching on prawn heads.

Great day on the water. I like this time of year. Hope to get out again real soon over the holiday's.

Merry Christmas,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
dawgaholic

Re: Beautiful day on the water - Christmas prawning

Post by dawgaholic »

Nice catch and thanks for sharing the gorgeous scenes. :thumbsup:

How long of a soak did it take? They look to be 30 ct. average so 13 lbs.? or so is a bunch of good eating! :skipper:
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I'd go 12/14ct whole . That's a nice bunch of Spots ....YUM :popcorn:
Merry Christmas back at ya. :beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

dawgaholic wrote:Nice catch and thanks for sharing the gorgeous scenes. :thumbsup:

How long of a soak did it take?
Thanks dawgaholic. We only soaked them for 2 hours as this was our first trip out for the winter prawning season. Had a few gear issues to deal with but made one dip with 12 traps out (6 sets of 2 traps per line). If we had more time we would have dropped them right back on top of them and picked them up again.

We have a seafood feast at my buddies house every Christmas Eve and we needed some bugs for that event. Should be enough for the party. We will be heading back out on boxing day and a couple more trips to fill up the freezers.
:thumbsup:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

welder wrote:I'd go 12/14ct whole . That's a nice bunch of Spots ....YUM :popcorn:
Merry Christmas back at ya. :beer:
Thanks Les. Should be enough for our Christmas Eve party. They will be yummy. We usually do them in a coconut batter in the deep fryer and serve them with sweet Tai chili sauce. Mmmmmm.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

28 lbs. in a couple of hours?!!!??!!! :hammer: DAYUMMMM!!! :mrgreen:

Here, inshore the shrimp you can net yourself will be all over the place but fresh nonetheless. Cannot be beat. Never went out offshore to try our luck.

Merry Merry and Happy Happy to You and Yours and All reading along. We are, after all, one big Family. :beer:
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

dawgaholic wrote:Here, inshore the shrimp you can net yourself will be all over the place but fresh nonetheless. Cannot be beat. Never went out offshore to try our luck.

Merry Merry and Happy Happy to You and Yours and All reading along. We are, after all, one big Family. :beer:
I barely remember as a wee lad with some friends that lived in Victoria, B.C. here on the rock that took me out shrimping (coon stripe if I recall) with spot lights and throw nets in the cracks and crevaces of the rock's from shore. That's the only experience I have had with true shrimping from shore. I would like to do it again sometime. I can barely remember it as I was probably only six years old at the time.

It was a certain time of the year and I remember being really excited because we were allowed to stay up late ha ha.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Nice, what do the traps looks like you use?
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

That does it - I'm moving back up there. :banghead:

We get to take spots down here 2-3 days out of the year . . . is the season open year-round in BC? Is that the Saanich Inlet area?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:That does it - I'm moving back up there. :banghead:

We get to take spots down here 2-3 days out of the year . . . is the season open year-round in BC? Is that the Saanich Inlet area?
It is pretty much open year round in a lot of area's. When the commercial fishery opens up in the spring it dies off to the point of it not worth going out. We usually start about now and go out a few times over the winter. The best time is right before the commercial opening in Spring.

This particular area (off Ladysmith, B.C.) is pulse fishing. 2 weeks on , 2 weeks off sort of thing. It's pretty crowded with lot's of gear in the water. Makes for some strategic drops for sure. Kind of increases the fun level. :mrgreen:

:beer:

Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

That doesn't even look like work...."we have to throw nets on our Scrimps, after baiting them up", but then again it's a whopping 2-10 foot of water.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

JETTYWOLF wrote:That doesn't even look like work...."we have to throw nets on our Scrimps, after baiting them up", but then again it's a whopping 2-10 foot of water.

I know I know ha ha. I've pulled my share of traps by hand. From 250-300 ft. sometimes 350-400 ft. depending on the area. 500 feet of rope and two traps with line weights...........hence the reason the mechanical pot puller was invented :clap: .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

John Nice day on the water. Good show!
MacCTD wrote:Nice, what do the traps looks like you use?
LFS In Bellingham Has the pots, line, buoys, and Bait Pellets
Attachments
shrimp pots used in the PNW<br />Cost 116.95
shrimp pots used in the PNW
Cost 116.95
ladner-weighted-shrimp-pot-large_23.jpg (7.66 KiB) Viewed 10671 times
shrimp pots used in the PNW<br />Cost $98.95
Cost $98.95
prawn-trap-pot_43.jpg (10.41 KiB) Viewed 10671 times
shrimp pots used in the PNW<br />Cost $106.95
Cost $106.95
prawn-trap-pot_44.jpg (10.41 KiB) Viewed 10671 times
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:John Nice day on the water. Good show!
Thanks John. Yeah we use those Ladner traps like the bottom two in the pictures you posted. Made in B.C. :thumbsup:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram

Post by goatram »

Not many things Made in Canada except cars trucks and Fishing gear. I use the heavier pots pictured in the first pic. I also use the A2 bags in green/yellow. I use a Safe T puller pot puller mad over in Port Angeles area of my great State of Washington. Saturday is supposed to be nice weather. I might get to go fishing yet soon.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:Not many things Made in Canada except cars trucks and Fishing gear. I use the heavier pots pictured in the first pic. I also use the A2 bags in green/yellow. I use a Safe T puller pot puller mad over in Port Angeles area of my great State of Washington. Saturday is supposed to be nice weather. I might get to go fishing yet soon.

Yes your great State does produce some pot pullers worth drooling over like the one you have. Is that the one with the motor at head height and a foot pedal? I really like those ones and the EZ pull line. What does LFS stand for? Trying to look them up.

Thanks
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram

Post by goatram »

http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/
Yes John that is the one I have. A small air operated switch sits in the compartment that the foot pedal Bellows operate. Take your foot off of it the motor stops. Those 3.5hp Briggs and Stratton side shaft pullers with capstain are fast but I almost had my hand tangle in that. Last time I used it. sold it and bought this one; Alaskan Sports Safe-T-Puller Pot Puller
Attachments
e378880.jpg
e378880.jpg (13.38 KiB) Viewed 10191 times
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Here is what we use for bait around these parts.

The real ticket is this stuff.

I've used it by it by it's self and got pretty good results, but combine it with the pellets and sauce and look out!
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram

Post by goatram »

I have not seen that brand of cat food around here. Before all of the supply of Puss n boots was used up that was the secret weapon for here. I now use those pellets ground up and oiled down with other stuff thrown in as well. Herring and fish parts
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Take a look for it John. It might be down there somewhere.

We buy it at a hobby farm feed place called Shar-care. We buy a half pallet and it works out to about .20 cents a can. We split it between 4 of us. We usually buy the pellets at the same place and works out to about a buck a pound for a 60 lb. sack. I was just out and had to buy a bucket from the local chandlerly for about 300% more in price.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Heck of a way to spend a December day, eh? Nice haul. :thumbsup:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic