Prawning Feb.12, 2012

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

Prawning Feb.12, 2012

Post by Sculpin »

We headed out prawning all weekend. It was fun to get the gear going again and be on the water early this year for a change. We didn't do so well yesterday as we misjudged the depth and we were not sure of the rope lengths in one of the garbage cans. Over half of the 16 traps we had down weren't on bottom! :hammer: . Picked up the crab pots on the way in and caught around 8 nice dungeness keepers.

Today was wetter and a little lumpy out there but still fun. We sorted our ropes and made up some extensions as well and made sure all those darn traps were on the bottom.

Here is a shot for pjay. Nice side shot of the Sculpin loaded with crew and gear.

Leaving Departure Bay (my stomping grounds as a kid). Older class ferry tied up. They have done some serious improvements over the last few years to the terminal and it is really nice now.

Coming out of the Bay and around the point of Newcastle Island.

Continued......
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Re: Prawning Feb.12, 2012

Post by Sculpin »

We had a few hours of time to kill waiting for the gear to soak so I took a bunch of scenery shots while we trolled around. Next time I'm bringing the downriggers and a couple rods to help pass the time.

Here's some whisker sausages on the rocks.

Here is a nice waterfront spread in Silva Bay on Gabriola Island.

Here is a cool little dock with some canoes and small travel trailer on it.

One of many Totem's around these parts. The First Nations carve these by hand and some of them are really cool.

Continued........
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

All right onto the prawning.

Pulling them up with our homemade puller. We build these for under a hundred bucks if you can find the winches on sale.

Short video of the puller in action (click the thumbnail image).

Some of the bounty we harvested today.

Mmmmmmmm prawns!!!

We managed quite few hundred today which was way better than yesterday. Still not our limit but that's not what we are out there for. Had a good time with friends, nice boat ride, and got some food for the freezer. That's what it is all about.

Continued.....
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Heading home. It rained almost all day but we are pretty used to it :rotfl: .

Here is something pretty cool. There is a old sunken wooden tug boat in Departure Bay and we made a few passes over it to get some images on the Lowrance Structure Scan.

You can kind of make out part of the hull laying on it's side in the above shot. I will try some more later.

Left all the gear in the boat and tucked her back into the shed. Cleaned her up and plugged in the heater so she is ready for next weekend :thumbsup:

Cheers,
John :beer:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

:clap: Mmmmmm, nice trip, GREAT camera shots. :thumbsup: Beautiful area.
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

dawgaholic wrote::clap: Mmmmmm, nice trip, GREAT camera shots. :thumbsup: Beautiful area.

Thanks dawg :thumbsup:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Those prawns look tasty! We just finished our last package superbowl weekend. Great pictures!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Departure bay is where abouts on the map. How far from Bellingham Bay and Suscha Island? I am thinking about a April Trup out of the Bellingham Bay to shrimp your side of the water for a limit of shrimp
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

John, where did you get the winch motor , what is the AMP draw, I need to know more about it.

Now I want to build a winch and I'm HUNGRY , thanks buddy. :beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:Departure bay is where abouts on the map. How far from Bellingham Bay and Suscha Island? I am thinking about a April Trup out of the Bellingham Bay to shrimp your side of the water for a limit of shrimp
Google Earth is your friend John. Just type in Departure Bay, British Columbia, Canada. It's quite a ways up from the border however. Long run for Tin Lizzie but hey if you want to go for it :popcorn:

There is some good prawning in some of the Southern waters John. I don't know specific's as I have never fished them myself. The Southern Gulf Islands around Sydney etc. I'll try looking into it for you if you'd like :beer:
Last edited by Sculpin on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

welder wrote:John, where did you get the winch motor , what is the AMP draw, I need to know more about it.

They are 2000 lb. ATV winches Les. "Champion" I believe is the brand. We sometimes find them on sale at Costco for around 49 bucks.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Thanks John.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Goatram. You need to look at the area 19 regulations.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/ ... 19-eng.htm

I would suggest looking at Tumbo Island off of Saturna Island. It would probably be the closest. I will look on the charts for contours and structures and give you some GPS co-ords to try.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

MRACER

Post by MRACER »

welder wrote:John, where did you get the winch motor , what is the AMP draw, I need to know more about it.

JUST A HEADS UP ON THE REGS--John- did you get many females with eggs?

Prawn and Shrimp Traps
A maximum of four traps may be fished on a single bottom line (ground line). If three or more traps are set together on a single ground line, then a buoy is required at either end of the ground line. Only one fisher’s traps may be set on a single ground line, that fisher’s name must be on each of the buoys, and the gear must be hauled and set only by that fisher. Only one name can appear on a buoy. When fishing for shrimp or prawns, release all non-targeted species quickly to the water.

Prior to fishing, check for changes to shrimp and prawn management measures in Saanich Inlet, Stuart Channel, Alberni Inlet and other areas. Seasonal closures and other in-season management measures may be introduced to protect adult females carrying eggs
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

MRACER wrote: JUST A HEADS UP ON THE REGS--John- did you get many females with eggs?

Prawn and Shrimp Traps
A maximum of four traps may be fished on a single bottom line (ground line). If three or more traps are set together on a single ground line, then a buoy is required at either end of the ground line. Only one fisher’s traps may be set on a single ground line, that fisher’s name must be on each of the buoys, and the gear must be hauled and set only by that fisher. Only one name can appear on a buoy. When fishing for shrimp or prawns, release all non-targeted species quickly to the water.

Prior to fishing, check for changes to shrimp and prawn management measures in Saanich Inlet, Stuart Channel, Alberni Inlet and other areas. Seasonal closures and other in-season management measures may be introduced to protect adult females carrying eggs
Thanks for the concern MRACER. I am fairly familiar with the reg's. I always go to DFO's site before an outing to check for notices and updates (very important). You almost need a filing cabinet on board with all the paperwork!

Most of the females have dropped their berries and we only caught a few with them on the weekend which we threw back. In fact that bigger one in the picture on the gloved hand headed back where it came from right after the picture was taken.

We fish two traps per string 50' apart using 1 float. I think goatram has been keeping up to date with the reg's as he seemed pretty knowlegable about them when I spoke with him a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

MRACER

Post by MRACER »

JOHN-I was just putting info up for our Southern neighbors- I knew you would be familiar with em- I was just curious about the females having eggs at this time of year? The one you let go would have made a great taxidermy mount for your mantle-LOL
bigkat9

Post by bigkat9 »

WOW just took a look at the regs sure aint like Indiana ,looks like everyday before you head out you have to check website ,are the regs as strict for the commercial guys .
netman

Post by netman »

Thanks for the pics and trip info. On nights when work is slow I like to google earth the names and locations mentioned in post to see the layout. You have a really nice area to play and fish in.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

netman wrote:Thanks for the pics and trip info. On nights when work is slow I like to google earth the names and locations mentioned in post to see the layout. You have a really nice area to play and fish in.

Thanks netman. These are my home town water's that we fish the winter's in. I haul my boat out to the west coast of Vancouver Island for the summer where the world class fishing is to be had. Google Salmon Beach, British Columbia and you will see where we are during the summer months. Out on the banks offshore of Ucluelet. If the temps etc. work out we can get into Albacore Tuna too.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

GREAT STUFF, from the "other side".........MORE!!!!!!!

The boat really looks "tweaked" compared to years ago. It was all worth it, huh?
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Anyone who doesn't find BC/Vancouver Island to be among the Lord's grandest creations (that He continued North to the Pole) hasn't put their eyes on any of it. They do not lie, the Eyes.

One of my former associates purchased a home on one of the Islands to retire in and words are insufficient to describe the scenery and surroundings. Mind you, this comes from a guy who for ~35 years has lived within eyesight of the Gold Dome on the Georgia State Capitol (18 miles away) and for whom it is a 80+/- mile ride South to find any relief from the crush of humanity (10+ Million within 75 miles).

Y'all forgive me for getting carried away, Man simply wasn't meant to spend his entire waking Life away from where he came.
Just finished checking out the local websites and cams/vids of Port Ablermi and Ucluelet and a Man could get all the natural healing Nature provides but that us city folks are deprived of.
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
Sjoman

Post by Sjoman »

You guys up north are lucky, are Prawns and Dungeness open year round ?
76' Freezer long liner "Alpine Cove"
21' SeaArk Commander
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Sjoman wrote:You guys up north are lucky, are Prawns and Dungeness open year round ?

Yup pretty much but we are going through some major pains with our Department Of Fisheries and Oceans right now regarding alot of matters.

I had a major eye opener meeting goatram in person and talking with him about openings and closures down South of us. I do not take our liberal fishing regulation for granted.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic