Wet WCVI weekend !!!

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

Wet WCVI weekend !!!

Post by Sculpin »

Well we finally made it out West on the weekend. Friday afternoon a new friend of mine Bart and myself headed up to Salmon Beach for the weekend. I was a little disorganized as usual for the first trip of the year lol.

The rig parked at the Tseshaht Market.

Setting up camp in the pissing rain.

Late dinner of champions lol. Canned ham and hashbrowns!

My buddy and his son met us up there early the next morning and we ventured offshore on the lighthouse bank to try some hali fishing and salmon fishing. No love in the halibut department but we caught a couple of small springs in the rough stuff and monsoon rains. I'm sure if we stuck it out we would have caught more and bigger. The wee ones were caught in pretty short order.

A short vid of the conditions that were to be all day long! "Am I supposed to smile for this?" !!!!

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Re: Wet WCVI weekend !!!

Post by Sculpin »

It was getting pretty snotty out there and we caught a couple of small springs before deciding to head for the barn. Heres one for the barbeque caught by my buddies son.

I got to drive in off the banks with the pissing rain, southeast wind blowing, and waves spashing with no windshield wipers!!!!

We headed in closer to land and tried a spot I have been wanting to try for a couple of years now for ling cod.

Lings all around. Everyone hooked up multiple lings and we had a blast on these humps. Non stop action pretty much.

Bart with one.

My buddy with one.

This one gave me quite the battle and was really fun reeling it in.

We were all completely soaked but we trolled around Great Bear for a little bit to end the day with no love. Bart and myself stayed up Saturday night as well and tried fishing this morning around Mearse. No luck for us and my rear HDS10 blew a fuse or something so we headed in. We took the long way home and saw lot's of boats fishing Swale Rock. We cruised around to Toquart Bay to check out the new development going in there. Interesting place with a new marina and the works. Marked lot's of bait balls inside of Lyle Pt. and Toquart Bay.

The cheap diesel forced air heater performed awesome all weekend. It was the bomb. It was running pretty much full time out on the water with zero hickups. So far I am impressed big time with the unit. Time will tell.

Anyways will be back up next weekend in hopefully drier weather lol.
Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Nice Trip John. :highfive: Any idea at what the temp in the cabin was?????
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Good Pictures and some nice Lings you caught there. The Lings that where off of LaPush this year where smaller than years past. Almost like they got let out of the Hatchery.

Soon the Ocean will be calling with the big fish biting. Yup! Fun will be had by all.

John you need to get the weed wacker out and do some trimming. you got a jungle going on at camp. :beer:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Sabs28 wrote:Nice Trip John. :highfive: Any idea at what the temp in the cabin was?????
Thanks Sabs. That is a good question. I may have to throw a thermometer in there and see what it gets up to. All I know is at one point we had to turn it off as it was uncomfortably warm in there. That is a good thing me thinks :joecool:
Last edited by Sculpin on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:Good Pictures and some nice Lings you caught there. The Lings that where off of LaPush this year where smaller than years past. Almost like they got let out of the Hatchery.

Soon the Ocean will be calling with the big fish biting. Yup! Fun will be had by all.

John you need to get the weed wacker out and do some trimming. you got a jungle going on at camp. :beer:
Thanks John. Yeah I know about the jungle. I also need to pull the trailer out and put some new gravel under her as the floor is rotting bad in a couple of spots . I made a big list of things to do as we sat in the trailer Saturday evening staying out of the monsoon lol. I towed my gal back home on Sunday so I could put a space heater in her to dry her out. I need to fix the wipers :banghead: , the HDS10, and install a bilge pump under the cabin floor.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

As always a nice report and pics :thumbsup:
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Good report and pics...keep them coming!
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

JETTYWOLF wrote:As always a nice report and pics :thumbsup:
Thanks Dave.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

pjay9 wrote:Good report and pics...keep them coming!

Thanks pjay. I will keep them coming. Hoping for some drier weather next weekend. I need some halibut for the freezer before they shut it down early this year.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Ya know....I don't think you can even buy one of those big blue fish boxes anywhere around here. I only see them for sale up in the great white north.

Can ya sit and/or jump on one of them things without crushing in the top? I commonly take the 1400# fishing team, 225 Honda a straining to get on plane, sucking fuel against a head wind like a ole Ford 460, and if they sit on my colemans, there goes the lid!

I suppose there's no sense in asking how well do they hold ice in 99 degree weather in July. No need for the Grundens here, just jump on plane and in 3 minutes yer dry.

And yeah, I'd trade with ya. Cool weather and fishing, are like a beer and dip of chew, they go together as far as I'm concerned. But we can't have it all.... :popcorn:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Ya know....I don't think you can even buy one of those big blue fish boxes anywhere around here. I only see them for sale up in the great white north.

Can ya sit and/or jump on one of them things without crushing in the top? I commonly take the 1400# fishing team, 225 Honda a straining to get on plane, sucking fuel against a head wind like a ole Ford 460, and if they sit on my colemans, there goes the lid!

I suppose there's no sense in asking how well do they hold ice in 99 degree weather in July. No need for the Grundens here, just jump on plane and in 3 minutes yer dry.

And yeah, I'd trade with ya. Cool weather and fishing, are like a beer and dip of chew, they go together as far as I'm concerned. But we can't have it all.... :popcorn:
You can jump up and down on em with out crushing the lid. The guy who sold it to me weighs about 340 lbs and he was walking on it and it didn't even flex. We use it as bench to sit on, work table if required, lunch table (if it's not pissing rain out), and of course to store ice and fish. I haven't been able to do a heat test and see how many days the ice lasts because it rarely get's hot enough around these parts.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Nice trip, John. Glad the heater is working out for you. A warm, dry cabin is essential in my opinion. How are lings regulated in your waters. Here we are allowed one or two (in some areas) and they must be at least 35". Personally, I let them go if they aren't knocking on the door of 50". It appears a bit sloppy out there. :thumbsup:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

spoiled one wrote:Nice trip, John. Glad the heater is working out for you. A warm, dry cabin is essential in my opinion. How are lings regulated in your waters. Here we are allowed one or two (in some areas) and they must be at least 35". Personally, I let them go if they aren't knocking on the door of 50". It appears a bit sloppy out there. :thumbsup:
Thanks spoiled one. In this area we were fishing you are allowed 3 a day with 6 possession (i.e. 2 day plus stay). They have to be 65 cm long. So alot smaller than your area. We prefer them a few inches longer than the minum for eating. In my home waters on the East side we are allowed 1 a day with 2 possession. The season is a lot shorter on the East side as well.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Gotcha. They sure are tasty.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Pete
You are Talking of our ocean Pigs. The Puget Sound has the babies; min size able to take is 26 inches, max is 36". Limit one in PS. In ocean we do release quite a few trying to get the 40" and up size. You do have to run out a ways in the ocean to find them thou.

John I just looked besides Dave aka Jetty Wolf you have posted the most trips here recently. I need to correct that. This weekend I am headed out Deception Pass to go fishing for Spot Shrimp in area 6 on a Northriver 26' OS. I.E. south end of Eastern Bank
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

goatram wrote:
John I just looked besides Dave aka Jetty Wolf you have posted the most trips here recently. I need to correct that. This weekend I am headed out Deception Pass to go fishing for Spot Shrimp in area 6 on a Northriver 26' OS. I.E. south end of Eastern Bank
You going with Ted? Have fun buddy and get lot's of them bugs :thumbsup:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic