Sunken Jetty, Westport, WA.

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
wetwhopper

Sunken Jetty, Westport, WA.

Post by wetwhopper »

My father in-law said he had not been fishing in 20 yrs. I asked him if he was a "Pinko Commie" and got him on the salt ASAP! Bagged a few fish and had a great day. :highfive:
Attachments
sunkenjetty.jpg
sunkenjetty.jpg (36.5 KiB) Viewed 8343 times
sunkenjetty2.jpg
sunkenjetty2.jpg (118.43 KiB) Viewed 8341 times
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
welder
Site Admin

Re: Sunken Jetty, Westport, WA.

Post by welder »

Glad to hear your FIL is not a pink-O commie and can still put the hurt on some Ling.
Well done. :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Thanks Lester. Thinking about heading out again on the Fourth of July and giving the salmon a try. Sounds like they are right outside the bar a few miles south in 70 or so feet of water. Although I've fish the "sunken jetty" and bay all the time I've never crossed the bar on my own boat. I've been with friends out in the open ocean (John's Tin Lizzy being one of them) and want to start taking my boat out. Need to get the 1st open ocean trip under my belt. Sometimes I wished I carried more than 16 gal. of fuel, but conditions look good. :clap:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hmmmmmm, just think if you sold that boat you'd be standing on a NON-sunken Jetty, instead.

Good to see HOURS and dead fish are gracing it's hull.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

I don't see any crabs; what up with that? You must not be from around here. Your Father in Law Should be asking if you are a commie! :rotfl:

If you been to the Sunken Jetty you have been across the bar. What is the Range for your boat? MPG or Gallons per Hour? Soon the Salmon will move out to the 200' line 15 or so miles out. If nothing else get a 6 gallon saddle tank for them special days.

Do you have Downriggers yet? Divers will work if not. I will be out your way soon.

In Aug I will be down in Westport every weekend Boat will be moored on Float 6. Salmon Season is here Rich. The weather is not being nice this weekend. Sun is shinning and the #$%^& North West wind is blowing.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

What's the story with the blue/green color on the ling? I have seen it in pictures before, but never heard what causes it. I suspect it is diet. Looks like some good eating you got there. :beer:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

John, Don't worry buddy we catch plenty of dungies around here :thumbsup: . My boys like to throw the crab rings right from the beach (in front of the state park). Good fun!

Not sure what the range on my boat is yet? I went bottom fishing on the sunken jetty successfuly solo (usually buddy boat with a friend) for the first time. That was a confidence builder for me. Went on Bloody Decks to get the salmon report and three or so guys were talk'n bout hitting bottom. One guy demolished his prop and bent his shaft? So making sure I know my stuff. I ran the main all day (I launch from Ocean Shores) and only burned a half of tank of gas, so I'd probably be fine. Next payday I might pick up one mor six gallon tank incase they close the bar and have to wait outside.

No downriggers yet! I'm trying not to settle for hand crankers... want electric. I'm paying cash for everything these days... I'll get there.

Sorry about the wind, but summer is just getting started!

Jettywolf, I'm VERY HAPPY I decided to keep my boat. I mustta been freak'n crazy to ever think about selling her. The funny thing is my wife is the one who talked me into keeping it! What a woman!

Spoiled One, The fish I caught is a cabazon. Kinda looks like a green-ling. I guess they are feisty little buggers. You can fry 'em up like a cod or pan cook them. Very tasty! You have to handle and clean them with care.

The Cabezon is a bottom fish found off the Pacific coast from Mexico to Alaska with poisonous spines and an attitude to match. In Spanish, Cabazon means 'big headed' or 'stubborn' so you have to take your time dealing with them. The spines are nasty and they can get up to 25 lbs., but most are much smaller.

Cabazon are among the bottom fish we catch and keep live on the boat till delivery and although they have a mug only a momma could love, they have a delicate flavor and are prized by local seafood lovers. Sadly the roe is poisonous, so don't be tempted to make caviar out of it.. you'll be sorry. Don't be put off by the blue tinge to the fish when you fillet it -- it'll turn white once it's cooked.

:highfive: :highfive: :mrgreen:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Pete I heard it was the Crab that causes the blue green color. Cabbies and Ling are that color close into shore sometimes.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

goatram wrote:Pete I heard it was the Crab that causes the blue green color. Cabbies and Ling are that color close into shore sometimes.
I figured it was diet related. Greenling up here get the same coloration. Tasty little fish.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Some guys swear up and down that greenlings and blue cabees taste sweeter that their normal colored counterparts. My wife and I can not tell them apart and think there's not much of a difference. I'm thinking it could just be genetic. I've caught a greenling right next to a regular colored ling... who knows :?: Maybe some "tree hugger" organization would give me a $1,000,000.00 grant to buy a 30' Pacific or Lee Shore research fishing vessel in order to catch lingcod and study the color mystery :?:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Lol! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

My new saying that I'm gonna live by (reason I wanna move)

"life is too short to not catch alot of fish!"

I'm glad you didn't loose yer butt trying to sell a Brand new "used" boat.
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

When I catch an unusual fish, I like to look in the stomach to see what it eats. When I caught a cabezon a few years ago, I found a couple of good size crabs in its stomach that had been swallowed whole! So their may be some truth behind the diet/color theory. I also believe that the cabezon is the largest member of fish in the sculpin family :-)

Mike
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Ditto on the crab diet theory. Googled blue cabazon and report said 1/2 thier diet is crab. Hope I don't turn blue? :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic