Last couple of weekends WCVI

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

Last couple of weekends WCVI

Post by Sculpin »

Two weekends ago I took some new friends out from Vancouver and we had a fun time for sure. Finished Business from here, trendsetter from SFVI forum, and a buddy of theirs. It wasn't lights out fishing but we managed some fish and had some good times.

Alex with a ling cod.

At low tide it can be difficult launching at Salmon Beach lol.

Paddling out to deeper water.

Lot's of whales around now which is nice to see.

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Re: Last couple of weekends WCVI

Post by Sculpin »

Finished Business managed the biggest spring of the trip and it was his biggest to date. Here is a great shot I took of the crew with Nick's fish.

After catching fish all morning a guy gets hungry lol !

Nothing like cracking a cold one while trolling by Mearse Bluff in Barclay Sound.

Great bunch of guys that I will fish with again anytime. We caught fish, drank some beers, and ate like kings. What more could you ask for?

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

This past weekend I took some relatives out and we had a good trip visiting and fishing. We fished about 5 miles off of Long Beach caught easy limits of chicken halibut. We managed quite a few hatchery coho as well and some smaller springs. The bigger springs are around and we heard of lot's being caught just not in the cards for us this weekend.

My buddy came up for the day on Sunday and after we dropped the relatives off around lunch time we headed out to do some serious ling cod fishing at a couple of new spots we wanted to try. Using whole xtra large herring and Berkley Power grubs we hit quite a few of them and some chicken halibut as well.

Last week I bought a new AVET JX 4.6:1 reel and I love it!

My buddy with a nice ling.

We were fishing some steep walls that went from 130' to 60' like right now. We were drifting a little fast so I was reeling in like mad to prevent getting caught up on the wall. Just as my spreader bar and grub hit the surface I looked over to see if it was tangled etc. Out of no where this BIG brown flash smashes the grub right on the surface!!! It must of followed it up and was a cool hit on the grub for sure.

The Avet worked awesome and I will be looking into some other ones next year for sure.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Nice looking fish!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

That looks like a great time!! Well done :beer:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Sweet! :thumbsup:

Dang Canadians still get to fish for lings and Butts :rotfl:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Nice post John. :thumbsup:

I launch at a place like that in one of the rivers that lead to the Atlantic. It was so low one time I had to deploy my secret weapon. The people who couldn't get to or from the launch didn't think I was funny. :nutkick: 8-10 inches of water & I am off to the races. :highfive:
Attachments
AAB 001.JPG
AAB 001.JPG (83.97 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

That would work for sure Sabs. I don't have that luxury on the Sculpin. Man power is needed for low tide with my gal. I have never measured the draft of her but I'm guessing around 18". Because of the lower dead rise and the delta planing pad that Ed designed into these boats you can launch in some pretty shallow water.

I have seen 17' chlorox run abouts with deeper v's not be able to launch when I can. I had one guy at the ramp in a 20' lund that said he couldn't launch and I said fine get out of the way then. I proceeded to launch and jaw's dropped!!!
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

:thumbsup: :highfive: :beer: :clap:
That is what it is all about, Making jaws drop. I like it...

Some of the Lunds come with stern drives so they can get pretty heavy in the Arse or they put a big outboard on them so the boat does 70mph. I only have a 90HP outboard, So mine is on the "lighter" side. There are a few scars on the bottom but nothing major. And I still have all my rivets. :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Sculp,

looks like the only thang you're missing is some seriously intense SUN-SHINE, and lots of sunscreen splattered all over the boat.

I can send ya'll some.

You missed out. I sold (4) B-197 Accurate Twin Drags to a fella up your way a few months ago for $800 for 4 like new reels.
He lived on an Island in between Vancouver Isle and the mainland in the bay between the two, towards the south'ish end I believe. I looked it up on Google maps while we were coresponding.

Think it started with a "D"

He supposedly joined AAB, but I've never seen him here. He was in Forestry. Up there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic