BC Tuna - We KONGED em !!!

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

BC Tuna - We KONGED em !!!

Post by Sculpin »

Wicked Weekend!!!!

(I just posted this from another fishing forum folks. So if the names mentioned don't ring a bell that is why)

I just want to start with thanking all the great people out there that have helped me and others along this road to tuna addiction. Totally awesome people that are willing to help out and share idea's and information. Thank you Shawn, Jay, Andrew, and all the others that have posted on various forums.

Saturday was great meeting Harper44 at Ukee and following him out. It was rough to say the least but not the roughest I have been out in. 2 plus hours of it does a number on your internal organs! I was sore all weekend and seeing a 12000 lb boat totally out of the water in front of you is pretty cool lol. I talked with birdsnest the night before and he said the number one goal was just making it out there. We hit that goal then decided to set two more. Second goal was to just hook up which we did and a double header to boot. We slowed the boat down too much and tried gaffing them but lost both. The third one we said screw it and just grabbed the leader and flung it into the boat (our new technique for now on). We went 1 for 3 on Saturday and Harper44 boated 11 I believe. We chalked up this day as our practice run for Sunday lol.

It was my first time out there with my own boat and we were the smallest in the fleet. I won't lie that I was nervous on Saturday but we did it and my gal came through with flying colours. I was so worried about the boat and the safety gear etc. I didn't have all the fishing gear ready and we wasted about 40 minutes getting set up. Now I am ready and have everything good to go. I had a green crew out with me but they came through eventually as well.

Here is a couple of shots from Saturday.

Harper44's sweet Carolina Classic "Reef Raider".

My boat has had many tuner's on her deck from the previous owner but this was the first one since I have owned her.

My buddy Marc managed the uno tuna for the day.

Nice scenery after fishing halibut on the way back home.

Continued.............
Last edited by Sculpin on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Re: BC Tuna - We KONGED em !!!

Post by Sculpin »

We all KONGED em!!!!

King Kong has nothing on the fleet of sporties that were out at Loudoun Canyon on Sunday Sept.2, 2012. A day to remember for sure. 6 boats headed out there this day and all of us loaded up in the double digits. I think there was collectively 160 plus fish caught. Pretty good for up here.

We ended up late to the party due to the Ukee fuel dock changing hours that day. We took our time and were ready to go this day. All the gear was stationed and set for quick deployment. Smooth run out until the last few miles in the fishing zone.

Leaving Ukee in the morning. Smooth as silk.

Gear down and Marc's bro Dan watching the set up. We ran two hand lines and 4 rod's. We had two splash pin's in the prop wash as attractors as well. I have to thank birdsnest big time for the splash boats. DUDE they are awesome!!! our starboard boat caught 8 fish.

Hooked up on the make shift rod lol. We had a Penn bugger up on us on Saturday so we threw on a Shimano GT4000 on the Lamiglass 6'6" rod. That set up caught 2 fish.

We filled the half tote with salt ice to the top before the trip and I bought a Boone kill bag about a month ago and had it stashed in the bow. These soft sided kill bags are the cats azz. We ended up stuffing 10 in there with ice. The idea was to start filling the kill bag while taking ice out of the tote to make room for tuna to eventually make it to the tote. It all worked out pretty good.

Starting to fill the bag (we put a shite load of ice in there right after).

We actually didn't have quite enough ice to cover all the fish in the tote. We ended up going straight to Ukee on the way in and the gas dock was out of salt ice but told us to go two doors down. We ended up at Neptune Ice and called the number on the building. The lady said someone will be right down. This is a commercial outfit and not set up for sport boats at their wharf but we tied up anyways and I climbed the ladder up to the wharf to meet the guys. They slung up a full tote of ice and lowered it down to the boat with the crane and topped up the tote and the bag. Totally awesome. I asked how much and the guy say's around 20 bucks and I said no way and gave him 40 so they could buy some beers that night.

Continued....
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

The comradery of the boats out there was second to none. It is probably the only way I will ever go tuna fishing with my own vessel again. It works that magic by spreading out and radioing info to one another. All the stars aligned in this spot this day. Thank you to all the other boats out there. I never talk on the radio and I was quite green on it out there that day. Thanks for putting up with me guys lol. Hope you liked the April Wine song.

We ended up going 18 for 20 on Sunday. Arrived late to the party and tried to catch up lol. What a blast. I am totally ruined now. Bankruptcy is the only cure. I was actually surprised by the fuel burn in my boat as we averaged 200 bucks a day on the two tuna trips this weekend. Pretty good me thinks!

Here are some shots of the fish laid out before transferring into the take home coolers.

A very tired captain but still able to give a thumbs up.

I headed straight to me regular fishing crew's house and we processed my share of the catch this evening. These are great guy's that I hunt and fish with all the time. It's too bad they couldn't make it this weekend. They sure appreciated the tuna loins I gave them and I sure appreciated their help.

Totally bagged. I can't even believe I made these post's. I am like a walking zombie right now. Hitting the sack for about 2 day's lol.

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Wife asked me last night if I was done tuna fishing for the year yet.

I told her No.
My trips are cost about $200 for fuel and bait and Ice cost another $100.
You are no longer a Tuna Virgin. Welcome to the other side. Now you need to feel and see the tuna take a live anchovy. You did not show what your deck looked like. Bloody I hope.

Good Job John :beer: :clap: :thumbsup:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Thanks John. When are you going to show me that live anchovie action? I'm dieing to try it out.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram

Post by goatram »

When are you coming back down?

Are there Anchovies up in Ukee? Down in Westport they Swim in the Harbor. Washington State has Regs that say no Cast nets are to be used only dip nets. Sabiki Rigs might work to get bait if the are in swimming around.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

John, you sir are officially ruined .

:thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

I need to get in on that action! It looks like a blast. How fast are you trolling?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

welder wrote:John, you sir are officially ruined .

:thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:
I know and I love it :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

spoiled one wrote:I need to get in on that action! It looks like a blast. How fast are you trolling?
It is a bast!!! Salmon fishing?........pffftt lol. We seemed to pick up most of our fish at around 7 mph.

Just had barbequed tuna steaks for dinner after chamber sealing all the loins. MMMMM good!!!!
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Well done!! I love bloody decks!! :thumbsup:
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Great work John :thumbsup: :highfive: :clap:
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Awesome report!
With that much tuna, you should home can most of it... you won't be sorry
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
goatram

Post by goatram »

Yesterday Suxed Water was a washing machine. Fish did not want to die so they went deep :banghead:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
MRACER

Post by MRACER »

What a great 2 days- How did your lightweight boat like the ocean?
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

MRACER wrote:What a great 2 days- How did your lightweight boat like the ocean?
She is actually quite heavy for her size in alloy MRACER but I get your drift. Compared to that Carolina Classic we followed out there in the snot on Saturday..........let's just say the crew on the chlorox bottle boat did not feel like they had been tuned up with a baseball bat afterwards :rotfl: . It felt like I did 5000 sit ups my body was so sore even with the air ride seats. We got er done though.

Sunday was better both in and out but the actually fishing grounds (last 10 miles) was a little bumpy.

A buddy of mine took a couple of shots of my gal while trolling along side us.

We were flying a jolly roger flag off of the antennae because after all we were there to rape and pillage (joking)! No rum on board either.......... (joking again lol).

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Once again.....Excellent report.

Especially the slicker pants and flip flops!

You go, Canucks! What ever it takes to pilage, works for me :thumbsup:

If you can manage it. Do you know the Manufacture, model, and capacity of that Blue Box ya have there.

And is it super sturdy :?:
goatram

Post by goatram »

Dave I will answer for John. new ones go for around $800 used for $200 to $300 depending on condition. They have got to have something like it around Jacksonville.
new tote with lid
new tote with lid
tote.jpg (4.46 KiB) Viewed 11270 times
See them here
http://www.dacocorp.com/industrial-cont ... -l-en.html

The half size totes are hard to find used. They do fit on the back deck a lot better than the full size ones. Brandon; the brother of Russ of Coldwater boats Got a couple of Half Totes with minor defects for one of CWB customers from DACO.
Filled with Ice they weigh about 600lbs Half of the ice goes into the fishhold to back the tuna in. On return the fish are packed into the tote for the trip home and any extra Ice is put back in the tote.

The totes are heavy thick plastic boxes with fork slots to be moved by a fork lift. They are self aligning when stacked and they come in insulated and uninsulated. Better and cheaper than those High End Coolers Yeti's. Hold Ice for a couple of days with fish in them. They have a drain plug. I have a 4'X4'X3'H one that is in the back of my truck. I just got another one for a friend at work for $225. He plans to use it for elk hunting
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Thanks John. I think those prices must be for the full size one eh?

This is the unit I have......

http://pacificnetandtwine.com/?prod_id= ... 84&filter=

I paid 450 for it as I usually get discount there and it was old stock.

Tough as nails Dave. My buddy at PNT is a large man and he was walking on it and it didn't even flex. Need two guys to haul it in and out of the boat (to save your back).
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yeah I like that exact one you have Sculpin.

I've seen them mega boxes. But here in tree hugger land no one gets to fill one of those anymore with anything, but bait.

I weigh-in at 275 and really need to slim my azz way down...so I be at the high end of most customers. Yes, it has to be able to be sat on for sure. But as I bring a water jug for all day, they bring Gilligans Island provisions, and my whole boat could be an ice cooler and they'd fill it!!!! Especially the touristy trips.

I like the measurements of the one you have.

If anyone has or see's a "DEAL" on a new one just like Sculpins. Let me know.

I have seen them on the web, and don't know of anywhere round here you can walk in and just get one. Yeah you'd think, you could, but I can find 100 Yeti coolers before I could find one of those the size of sculpins fish box.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic