Bamfield Tuna Shootout

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: Bamfield Tuna Shootout

Post by mojomizer »

Peezer these feathers were are deadly for commercial lift pole tuna fishing. I have used them fishing hook and line. Old school in design.

http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Tuna-Fe ... s/2812.htm

Had the opportunity to do this on a sportboat geeze it kicked my buttocks. Was explained that you have to use the fishes forward momentum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlvsDYM0ABI

Commercial guys do this everyday....... What do they know that we do not????????

Goatram we have White Terns feeding and dipping that we look for. Shearwaters and seagulls can be a pain. Funny thing ....... not a bird in the sky ...... until a bait hits the water.
Last edited by mojomizer on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

So what is your burn rate at 35 mph? :rotfl:

That tuna fishing looks like a blast!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

One of these days Pete when Mr.T is old enough we will have to go do a 5 Day San Diego Tuna trip :thumbsup:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

I think we will have to make a whole new thread on trolling lures :mrgreen: I am Interested on what we are dragging from all parts of the country.

Goatram you guys fron the Pacific Northwest are the down rigger kings. Are some boats using down riggers for the Longfins????? What are they trolling?????

Talking about Albacore and Blue Sharks. You find the Blue Sharks you find the Albacore. Reading this further comfirms my belief that the Albacore will be between the lines of 0.2 mg / m3 chlorophyll and 18c water temp lines.

http://www.pices.int/publications/prese ... yofuji.pdf

Here is a article on what some colors that biologist think pelagic gamefish see including UV. Another little tidbit is the commercials using a liquid scent trail in the trolling spread....... Gallon of menhaden oil and a teaspoon of L-Tryptophan. dispersed automatically. I am thinking that it must be dripped slowly since gallons are used??????

http://albacoretuna.org/

(Side Note) Interesting that on one Long Range trip the president of Berkley (lure ,line and scent manufacture) had some research materials on board. Allowed another angler to try it out (not me) :banghead: It came in a white powder and mixed with seawater. They would wipe it on their hands from a coffee can behind the galley door....... it was a fish every time they did it. Yeah I am that observant on a long range trip. Take the time to see who what Why and where the fish are biting. It is a old deckhand habit. Now I am thinking L-Tryptophan.

This article is very valuable to me....... it is very hard to find. Do Tuna and billfish see color...... remember 485 NM wave length. There is another article floating around that Tuna heat their eyes to gain advantage in hunting their favorite prey.

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/PFRP/newsle ... ar2004.pdf

Another theory that I believe is that Albacore see in another wave length that we cannot see Ultraviolet. Did you know Bird can see Ultraviolet and use it in their feathers reflective properties. White feathers are very UV reflective.

I even learn from fly fishermen.

http://iwff1.ca/NEWS/2011/An%20Ultravio ... hermen.pdf

Peezer what a great collection of trolling feathers........ what is your favorite color combo???? In Hawaii is Albacore a night fishing activity for the most part?????? Your best Color Combination for Albacore?????

Sculpin........ Bamfield Tuna Shootout Look like it is so much fun :thumbsup: I hope they keep it fun for all. Hope some of this info helps your fun factor and some tasty fish to keep you smiling throughout the winter.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Peezer it is entirely my fault......... Sculpins posts on albacore just made me too excited. Alloy guys who have long fin fever all in one thread was too much temptation on expanding the discussion. I thought I was the only one interested in the fishery.

Trolling feathers ....... How they are rigged and fished. Heck ya let's start another thread :thumbsup:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Oh man!!!! That's an "orgasmic" fishing report :shocked:
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

That looks like a blast Sculpin! Thanks for sharing such a well documented report- love the pics.

Mojo- you are blowing my mind with those articles. I have some serious reading to do, thanks a bunch :thumbsup:

great thread :popcorn:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Superfishial wrote: Mojo- you are blowing my mind with those articles. I have some serious reading to do, thanks a bunch :thumbsup:

great thread :popcorn:
No kidding about the serious reading!!! I have been so busy reading I missed the continuation of this thread.

There are a few guys up here that make there own lures using standard length salmon hootchies with weights in the head. The quest for smaller baits seems to be quite popular on the BC forums. Ballyhood and Sumo make some nice little jet heads and I will be posting Peezers info on the other boards for people to think about for sure.

Albacore talk is good talk IMO. Thanks again guys. I really think a dedicated thread is a good idea.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

spoiled one wrote:So what is your burn rate at 35 mph? :rotfl:

Around 10-11 gals per hour. That heavy grady with twin 200 2 strokes was sucking way more than me :mrgreen: .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Sculpin wrote:
spoiled one wrote:So what is your burn rate at 35 mph? :rotfl:

Around 10-11 gals per hour. That heavy grady with twin 200 2 strokes was sucking way more than me :mrgreen: .
That is pretty darn good! I am upwards of 27 gph at that speed.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

spoiled one wrote:That is pretty darn good! I am upwards of 27 gph at that speed.
Ouch!!! Big toys have big fuel bills. Goatram are you paying attention?...........

Just to make you feel better maybe it's around 11-12 cause I was loaded up pretty heavy.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Pete a little under 1.3 miles a gallon at 35miles per hour on the Patience is a fantastic burn rate. A week ago gas was pushing over 5 dollars a gallon in my neck of the concrete woods. The Patience could do some serious damage to the Albacore out of BC/Washington. Sculpin Out of Bamfield is it a 40 mile run out to start hitting the right Water????
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

mojomizer wrote:Pete a little under 1.3 miles a gallon at 35miles per hour on the Patience is a fantastic burn rate. A week ago gas was pushing over 5 dollars a gallon in my neck of the concrete woods. The Patience could do some serious damage to the Albacore out of BC/Washington. Sculpin Out of Bamfield is it a 40 mile run out to start hitting the right Water????
The Barkley Canyon is approx. 50 miles from Cape Beale. The Nitinat Canyon is a little further. At one point we were 60 miles off of Cape Beale.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic