Last couple of evenings in my home waters

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

Last couple of evenings in my home waters

Post by Sculpin »

Great evening out there off Neck Point. Bumped into a buddy that was coming in with limits for 4. Got the intel and ran with it lol. Worked out good. The fish cleaning station was going full tilt as well. All good signs.

The water was beautiful out there.

Looking North towards the Winchelsea's.

Mount Baker in full bloom.

Smiles all around.

Some fish in the boat.

Great evening out with friends with some good fishing. What's not to like .

Till tomorrow evening.

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Re: Last couple of evenings in my home waters

Post by Sculpin »

It was a little choppy this evening to start.

Bart taking care of a few shakers. He landed an 8 lber later.

Degree of Freedom sneaking up on us in the background.

Dan and I playing camera tag lol.

I think Nanaimo has some of the nicest sunsets going.

Just about to pull the plug when the captain got to play one. It was a white and will be hitting the smoker on Sunday.

Another nice evening out on the water with friends. Life is good!

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

You have had a couple of productive evenings, John. Well done!
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

spoiled one wrote:You have had a couple of productive evenings, John. Well done!
Thanks Pete.

This is right out front of Nanaimo where I live on the East Coast of Vancouver Island. The boat ride is like 15 minutes and I might have burned 20 bucks in fuel each evening. The first evening we lost 3, kept 3, and released 15 undersized. I haven't seen action like that on this side of the Island since my early twenties!. I don't fish this side very often. Just crabbing and prawning. It has been a really good season so far for many local anglers and hopefully a sign of an improvement to the Georgia Straight.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

John, can you get a picture of the fish on the smoker?
I have caught only ONE Black mouth and Mojo took it home and ate it. :nutkick:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

welder wrote:John, can you get a picture of the fish on the smoker?
I have caught only ONE Black mouth and Mojo took it home and ate it. :nutkick:
I will try to remember to take a picture of the smoked fish Les.

I think Mojo might have attracted some bad mojo by eatin your fish man :gunner2: .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

S-W-E-E-T :!:

And probably not sweating down to yer BVD's, either.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Got out this evening with Bart and jeffywestcoast. It was a great night out on the water and was nice to meet Jeff again after quite a few years. We got lots of bs'ing and fishing in. Marked a few bait balls on the sounder and managed a couple of twin 8 lbers. A few shakers as well. Not many boats out at all. There were two fishing the deep water and couple of others at Neck and thats it for that area.

The twins.

Nothing big but they will be great on the barbeque.

Bart looking for the gold lol. Beauty sky's this evening.

Might try it again tomorrow evening. I'm heading out to the West side this weekend for some serious fishing of all species.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

Good show! Hopefully it is an indicator of good fishing to come for our SJ islands opener next month.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

It didn't look like it was going to be a nice evening earlier in the day but that wasn't going to deter us from giving it a whirl.

Last night Bart, Jeff, and I tried fishing the Spoil Grounds to start and caught a few pcod out there. We moved in closer to Neck Point and fished the same area from the night before. We gave it a good hour and didn't see anything on the sounder. No bait, no fish, nada. So we pulled the pin and headed for different waters.

Running to new gounds

It was getting later and we knew we only had an hour or so of fishing time left. Within 10 minutes of trolling we found what we were looking for.

Bait ball after bait ball!!!. It was perfect. We hit that late bite bang on and it was steady action for around 45 minutes. We hooked into 11 fish in that time.

Bart and I with a double header.

Jeff having some fun.

Bart again.

We were using the same set up's and depth as the night before. We did shallowed up to about 90 feet as the evening went on. We lost a couple of nice fish. One was a larger model that I test drove for a bit. Then Bart and I got to see it spit the hook mid air 12 feet behind the boat lol. Bart lost a larger one as well shortly after that.

It was a fantastic evening and the scenery was awesome. It truly is a special place we live.

A little hint ha ha.

Great way to end a night of fishing with some buddies.

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Just put the boat away.........again lol. These evening fishing trips kick the crap out of a guy I tell yeah .

Headed out with alberni fisher and had another really great time out on the water in front of Nanaimo. We had a nice quality bs session for sure. Alberni fisher likes jigging and so do I so we tried a few spots around Entrance for some bottom feeders.

Here is Alberni fisher with something half decent on the end of his line.

It was a legal ling that I accidentally performed a perfect release on !!! . He out fished me 3 to nothing on the lings but I tied him with sea cucumbers LOL .

The water was unreal again. Flat calm and beautiful seas. What every fisherman hopes for.

The sky's were awesome again as well and I couldn't help but take some shots.

Alberni fisher offering the god's some of their own sweet nectar ha ha.

We fished the same general area as the night before but changed up a few things. The kitchen sink was still the lure of choice. Lot's of bait balls on the other side tonight. We had two shakers and two really nice pin poppers that ripped right out of the release. We managed to keep both of them.

Alberni fisher playing one of them.

A short video (click on the pic).

The result. A high teener.

Well I think I finally got my fix in. I'm taking tomorrow and Saturday off and might hit the west side on Sunday. Good luck to everyone in the Silva Bay derby. It should be a blast .

This year has given me new faith in the ECVI. Every trip out we caught fish and a couple of the trips were pretty stellar. I have lived in Nanaimo my whole life and I think I have been taking it for granted since experiencing the WCVI. I may stick around and try it more often now. I have zero regrets for staying around this year. It has been a blast fishing my home waters with friends.

My outlook for the year is not quantity of trips but quality of trips .

Cheers,
Sculpin
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

choyero

Post by choyero »

Ahhh... Gabriola eh!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic