Near Offshore 8/29

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Near Offshore 8/29

Post by AlloyToy »

Got a late start Friday but managed to punch our way to the Mud Hole for a quick shot at the bluefin tuna that usually appear this time of year. Weather man was off again. NW 5-10 was gusting 15 and quickly turned SW 15-20 with a 2-3 foot chop on top of 3 foot rollers....what a joy :skillet:

This was my sons first trip offshore so he was excited to see "the other life" in the near distant waters. Marked huge bait ball, and solid marks down deep. Set out the spread of splash bars, hex heads, and of course (don't go offshore without it) 4"cedar plug for the prop wash :thumbsup:

First knock down was in tight on a "mexican flag" hex head....swing and a miss. Trolled longer and finally came tight on the wood in the wash. Small healthy green bonita. Stomach was packed with 4" blue back herring. Bled and iced. Not much meat on them but I find to be very edible :clap: especially the young ones for sushi :idea: Continued working "the hole" still marking tons of bait. Draggers in the area were leaving the place filled with floaters (red hake) but saw no splashes or flashes of signs of feeding tuna. Had a quick hit on the "way back" green machine splasher......another swing-n-miss. Shortly after saw a big Mako turn and zone i n on our spread. Pretty cool watching him work his way up to the spread :thumbsup: Manged one more green bonita on the wood in the wash and called it a day!! Seas were building and we got our butts pounded (17 miles worth) all the way back......

Overall great day OTW with my son and good buddy Jared :beer: Not much in way of pictures with the conditions the way it was.....sorry Capt. Dave :mrgreen:990
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: Near Offshore 8/29

Post by goatram »

I felt your pain in the PNW on Sunday same weather 40 miles out.

Still got next week to get a pile of meat., :highfive:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Awesome!! Good luck to you goatram :thumbsup: Post the report and pics :clap:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

After shrimp boat sharkin on Tuesday.......(see video in Jettywolf reports section IE: Big Game+Light Tackle=FUN) I tried for a King Mackerel in 50' of water, with live Pogies. One on a down-rigger, one flat lined.

Had small "boneheads" aka: Little Tunny, aka: Bonita the same size as those fish in your photo.

They'd be perfect baits for a big Lemon, Bull, or hammerhead, behind the surf line....Ya know, where the swimmers are?

Hoped to get those little guys to eat a Pogy, but they were honed in on small Glass minnows (rain minnows for you Texans), and didn't even look at our 4-5 inch Pogies.

Looking to do a super monster, monster, 300-500 lb. Sharks type before summer is over on light tackle. Shimano Tranx and Shimano 8' HEAVY, HEAVY Musky casting rod. Jus' for the hell of it. But need a larger bloody whole fish as bait to pin to 480# wire double hook rig I built.

Believe it or not a 3-5 pound Bonita has been hard to get. Don't know about your "green Bonita" but our Little Tunny, aka: Bonehead Bonita's are Nasty Bloody, Oily, perfect baits.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Capt. Dave...pretty blood like most tuna I've caught but not so oily....I would have thought so too....

Marinated the small loins and grilled em....must say pretty damn good

Yes, I did have visions of pitching one to that make way back :mrgreen:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Next up:

The Alloytoy heads back to fab shop, for permenatly welded on and plumbed "MINI-TUNA TUBES" he forgets about those illusive Tuna and visions of grandure and is now in the hunt for: The White Shark. The badazz of the sea, Great Whites, or leaping Mako's fishing "slow trolled" (saving fuel)
LIVE Green Bonito's :!: :!: :!: :!:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

sharking we take a 30 gallon drum with a lid drill some 3/4" holes in it and fill it with horse oats mixed with a gallon of bunker oil. Stick the washdown hose in one of the holes and let the saturated oats bleed through the other drilled holes via "overflow from the pumped seawater. The oats absorb the bunker oil and when they finally make it to the "blue water" they release the bunker oil into the deep blue creating one hellova slick :thumbsup: Frank Mundas style :mrgreen:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

yep....a top secret forum by password where we can share fishing secrets :thumbsup:
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Peezer wrote:why not just use live jacks or blue runners or stingrays they keep easier just need a barrel. stingray is as bloody as a bonita. and oily is something you can add via medhaden oil. pour medhaden oil all over your transom and put some in the livewells and jetty wolf becomes a dead whale to a sharks nose. i did over 500 shark in june using that tactic. fact. live pinfish get a swim in the oil, pogys, stingray, jack blue runner whatever you have dunk them in a bucket with about 1 inch of water and a heavy dose of oil on top, b4 firing them over the side. the pinfish or whatever croker whatever youve got will be burping up fish oil for the first ten minutes.
the tuna or marlin were always with the small bait tuna, usually below them, so tuna tube wasnt that much useful, in hawaii anyways. we just caught them and then sent them back in bridled right in the same area we caught them. no need transport. but i could see how youd use them if you had the tubes. run the baits in shallow. but they will probably be half dead when you run back in bro. my opinion jetty wolf needs 15$ in medhaden oil. applied liberally to the transom and possibly livewells so they pee oil all day. ive soaked shirts or towels in it too and throw it down in the slop well by the rigging. ima delete this later this message will self destruct lol

I always use stingers for big shark baits...if I can come up with them.

Remember, I have one of these, so all is fair game to be "chummed".

with SS chopper pole. Pogies don't stand a chance. Either do freezer burnt chicken breasts (yes I've used those to lure Seabass one time)
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Peezer wrote:I will be up late and write a whole post about fishing and then delete it after, quite often this happens actually because I cant have my tactics get in front of the wrong eyes. No random folks should be allowed to read this section I am proposing, and new readers should have to be screened and approved. If jetty asks me "hey bud how deep are you fishing" under present conditions Id have to lie or send a private message for example.
Im fishing 1.1 feet lol
See that bottom clutter Alloy? Thats what 200 grouper look like in a frenzy :)

That looks like flat Gulf Bottom to me.....LOL.

Where's the 20' lime rock ledge? Double echo's? or ZOOM?
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The good thing about fishing BS'n here is that there''s what...4 Floridians and 2000 other's on AAB :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

We're the "sweaters".......while "they" wear, "sweaters.
C'C'MON
:skipper:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

If so,

You'll never reach it, except for "exiting" the boat and standing on the platform.

That's why mine is where it is. Lean over and churn Butta'......I get kids to do it. They're good for Manuel Labor :rotfl:

The Aussies do that, have a one attachment point for all.

http://www.hillarysboatshop.com.au/home.php?cat=378

I even had one on my old boat:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic