back on the water...

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Merlin

back on the water...

Post by Merlin »

A lot of time has gone by and thought I would say hello.

Sold the Pescadora over a year ago. At first it wasn't that rough but this season not having a boat really got to me. Now, I'm back on the water! Sorry, not one speck of aluminum on the boat - I scored a simple old panga and hung an '03 60hp Mercury 4stroke on the transom. No electronics, no radio, not even a compass. I did manage to catch a marlin, some yellowtail, and several nice dorado today.

Hope you all are doing great. Hopefully one day I'll get an alloy boat so I can join the club again.

Hasta,
Merlin
time.jpg
time.jpg (52.74 KiB) Viewed 4955 times
welder
Site Admin

Re: back on the water...

Post by welder »

Merlin, dang nice to hear from ya , sounds like you are doing well but you caught fish and we don't have pictures of'em.
I'm sure you can remedy that problem. :mrgreen:
Those Pangas can take some big water, they are an awesome design .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You "son of a angler"

you mean to tell us that the fishing is so good and so easy you only need an ole Panga and a rod reel and a hook and you're catchin Marlin, Merlin??

I think that yer rubbin it in, is what I think.

Good to see ya back. Yes, I have wondered how the hell you could look out your back window and say, "No fishing today, I'll go cut the dirt instead" hahahahah.

You, are allowed to post all the pics ya want of the "ole man.(not old man) of the sea, in your glass boat." If anyone gives ya trouble, you just tell them to kiss yer Marlin :!: :!:

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Very kind words, thanks guys! I'll post some pics on the next trip out - we had a couple of summer storms blow by but it looks like next week is going to be good for fishing.

You are right, when the fishing bug bites it never goes away. I'm loving the simplicity of the panga and I'm super happy to be back on the water. And, of course, I can't help to rub it in a little. The photos will help.

Hasta!
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Added some refinements to the boat. Some shade, a bait tank/leaning post, Raymarine A65, and a vhf radio. Lookin' good and workin' fine.

We (the wife and I) entered the local fishing derby yesterday but didn't have much luck. No, that's not true - we had BAD luck! There were three categories - marlin, yellowtail, and dorado. All the dorado and yellowtail are pretty small but they are plentiful. Problem is they are all the same size. So rather than compete with all the other boats for the same size fish we decided to head out for marlin and maybe a chance at a larger dorado. As luck would have it, the wind came up. I'm really lovin' the simplicity of my new little panga but 15 miles out in 20 knots of wind in an 18 panga is not really all that much fun. But, the wifey is awesome so we gave it our best shot. Found an area that was very fishy and spotted a couple of bill fish but could not coax them into biting. After catching several small five pound dorado we finally get a knock down by something larger. The funny thing about marlin here is that they'll come back into the spread if you tease them right and sure enough she came back on - bam - hook up! She took a lot of line and I stabbed her a couple of times. She didn't jump but she was very heavy. Felt like I had her but then, here's the bad luck, she came unbuttoned. Mal pescador! Un capitan muy feo! Lost her!!! As much as we tried we never raised another one. The wind came up even more and we had to come in with our tails between our legs. Oh well, there's always next year.

That means the only photo I have for you is of the boat.
voladora2.jpg
voladora2.jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 4848 times
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

GREAT post and THANKS for the story, keep'em coming .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic