Need advice from Alaska folk

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
keggadev1
donator 15,17

Need advice from Alaska folk

Post by keggadev1 »

I am taking my family on a cruise in Alaska this May and would like some advice from locals on best prospects for ocean fishing. I would love to try for halibut, but don't know if the ports and time of year are right for that. Salmon would also be great if halibut isn't realistic. The two windows I have are May 13 in Juneau and May 14 in Skagway. I have approx 13hrs in each port. Can anyone recommend one over the other or provide any recommendations on a boat/captain? Thanks
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Re: Need advice from Alaska folk

Post by spoiled one »

I don't frequent SE AK, but you might post over on this forum. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forum.php?

I suspect someone can point you in the right direction.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
keggadev1
donator 15,17

Post by keggadev1 »

Thank you. I'll give that a shot.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

keggadev1, its 850- 900 miles to Juneau from Anchorage. Seattle is about 800 miles north of San Francisco and Boston is about 1,000 miles N of Charleston, SC. Just giving some perspective about the scale of the distances.

The State of AK is kind of divided into SE or South East, which we'd trade to Canada for a few degrees of Yukon at the Arctic Ocean, some call it the 'Panhandle'. Then there's the S-Central (the Sound of Prince William, Cook Inlet and to some extent Bristol Bay), moving N there is the "Interior" that is North of the Rockies as they follow the Pacific coast and South of the Alaskan Range; from Canada to the Bearing Sea. (Yukon Drainage) Then there's the land that drains North from the Alaskan Range- "North Slope" mostly but not all above the Arctic Circle.

There are other sub-regions defined within these main geographic dividers- but SE is separated from the rest of Alaska by an open ocean stretch from the Sound of Prince William on its Eastern side Hinchinbrook Is. to the Western Edge of the Inside Passage Chichacof Is. That stretch of coast of Alaska, (several hundred miles) is not sheltered at all. Rollers start in Guam and there's not much in their way.

So, most of the boating done in AK is in SE ("inside passage" sheltered by the islands) or SC, the Sound of Prince William, Cook Inlet or (mostly commercial- little rec. boating) Bristol Bay. Not much traffic between the two main areas due to the distance of open water exposed to the N.Pacific.

Just a scope review in reply to your request about info. I'm not sure how many readers or posters we have from S-E'ern AK? Heck they're all Canadians anyway- Eh?

If I were hunting a trip in any of the SE ports, I'd get with those guides, in those ports, and work one on one online or on the phone.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
keggadev1
donator 15,17

Post by keggadev1 »

Thanks Kevin. Was just taking a flyer on the off chance that someone up that way had some first hand knowledge of those particular ports and charters operating there. Have done some web research and have some leads.
hamachitoro

Post by hamachitoro »

Hello kegga, I live in Alaska and work in Haines that time of year. Haines is a small town in-between juneau and skagway.here Mid may sees good to very good trolling for king salomon in the lynn canal region. There are halibut in the canal however the further you travel up it the deeper and more barren the ocean bottom becomes so around juneau and anything south of sullivan island has better hali fishing. There are also more King salmon on the south end of the 90 mile long canal as well, however there is a small hatchery program near skagway that does chum and king salmon and mid may is the exact time of year those fish begin to show up. There is a charter or two out of haines that target them. I will have the Cyane down there and might be able to pick you up in skagway for a day of fishing (it's only 25 min to skagway from haines @ 30knts). Lynn canal is mind blowing as the mountain in that area are akin to patagonia, big, steep, gnarly, and lots of the extra jumbo mountain goats that can be seen from the boat. Gabe
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic