Very Ugly but Very Fast

Post your Alloy pictures here
peterbo3
Contributor

Very Ugly but Very Fast

Post by peterbo3 »

When I was living in North Queensland in 2006 a friend owned this beast. It was around 29' & had a stepped hull (two steps) as per the Yellowfins. Power was a 270 HP Steyr turbo diesel through a Volvo Duoprop. Home built from 3/8" alloy. It looked terrible but could it go.

Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Who was the manufacturer? or Homemade??
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

He said it was "home built" AlloyToy.......

Peter, it has a sort of a "last puppy in the litter" look to it.....it's not so bad.
Looks like it could be mistaken for a T-A-N-K!
and that ain't all that bad when talking, alloy.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Peter,

I just came up for an idea for a boat like that and like mine even....

How's a set of "built in" steps???

Now thats something you want find every day!

Indentations in each side of the boat in the middle of the cockpit outside, that's just big enough to put your toes in and and step into a boat. Like from the water that the fella is standing in, in that photo, or on the trailer.

Step up on the trailer fender, then into the steps on the side, and in the boat. Instead of always just going to the stern, dropping a ladder or steps and then getting in.

In the water knee deep....walk over to the side, step into a few small toe hold indentations and step on in the boat???

Hmmm, would suit that guy holding that boat right there better, wouldn't it?

I know I like to get out and wade fish sometimes in the summer along a grassy bank. The stern is in deep water and the Bow is too high, so I had to make a rope ladder to hang off my centerline cleat and still have a problem getting in the boat.

I just thought looking at that massive machine...a tank could have them why not a boat?

I maybe on to a new design in alloy boats huh? Its not all that crazy of an idea.
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

Dave,
Good idea & I have already done it. On an earlier CC I had a step welded off the chine at the starboard bow. It was 5mm alloy plate with a piece of 20mm ply bolted to it. About 6" X 6". Ply was covered in non-skid tape. The step was great for beach launches where you had to push off from the bow. You can just make out the step in the pic below. It is the rectangular shape at the bow on the chine just above the spare wheel. I have seen a number of boats with a small removable "hook-on" ladder hanging off the bow roller or the bow rails.
To clarify the original post. By "home-built" I did not mean backyard. It was built in a machine shop that services the coal mines in central Queensland. The owner/builder was a welder but had never built a boat before. He got the plans from somewhere & knocked it up in his spare time in an unused part of the machine shop. All the frames, etc were hand cut.

Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I think I see something up there on that boat pic...but doesn't matter if ya get my drift. So at least someone else is on the same page with me.

There's still a few things they can be done with an alloy boat that even is consider a little wacko...but that's the really nice thing about them.
Some Manufactures do it and some people do it on their own.
Bob5292

Steps

Post by Bob5292 »

I like the idea of the steps on the front of the boat. The guys over at Ottercraft have been putting a set of steps on the back of most of their boats now. Definitely handy when the boat is on the trailer.

Bob
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Capt. Dave........missed that "homeade" thing.....

Your step idea AWESOME!!!!! Your ladder even better :D

Bob.....Holy "Alum-a-monster"!!!!!
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Yeah, the Ottercrafts are awesome. The plant is not too far from where I live. This is one of my favorite models

They make a very nice center console as well:

Both of these are actually Norsco boats which was taken over by Ottercraft a few years ago.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Alloy,
Yeah.....I'm talking "indentations" that you put your foot in, on the side of the boat. That would be so cool, wouldn't Alloy. Even though I step up on my trailer fender, it's still a hike to get over the side.

Being that I'll be boarding my boat till I die (No 401K, No retirements, No portfolio........whatever the hell that is????)

I'll be fishing till I can't fish any more I suppose. And I often think about, when I'm 80 how the hell am I getting in this beast at the bait shop?

If there is bait then.

I guess I'll climb my trailer ladder or carry a ladder with me in my truck.

Maybe I shoulda got that fancy ladder thang Jay had as a Option.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Down here...we don't go for all that "railing"......looks good but impractical for throwing nets over.

Other than that.......again, I wish I got those big fat rub rails down the side of my boat. Now they are BOSS!

I look at those boats all pictured here on this thread, and thank my lucky stars to just be a part of the club. Because they all are so beautiuful.

Something a F'glass boater just doesn't understand.

Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Re: Very Ugly but Very Fast

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

peterbo3 wrote:When I was living in North Queensland in 2006 a friend owned this beast. It was around 29' & had a stepped hull (two steps) as per the Yellowfins. Power was a 270 HP Steyr turbo diesel through a Volvo Duoprop. Home built from 3/8" alloy. It looked terrible but could it go.

Peterbo3,
Cool Looking Rig, The windshield makes it look like a P56 fighter.
3/8" bottom plate is super bulletproof? Was it that thick because the guy was running shallow rivers real hard? Do you have any more pictures of it, inside and out?
Looks very narrow, How wide is the beam 7' to 8'?
What kinda speed did she push with that Steyr diesel?
What kind of Drive? Jet or Outdrive?
Did he have many problems with the diesel?

THe otter craft with pilot cabin is also a sweet looking boat.

Keep posting guys, love them pixs. mArty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

Hi Marty,
The plate is 3/8 because that was what was available. I doubt if any money was ever paid for the plate :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: .
Beam was around 8'6". Top speed would be well north of 30 knots but it did not need to slow down for crappy seas. The Steyr was fine & ran through a Volvo Duoprop with alloy fans.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic