Trapper Joe and Tommy:

Float pods....fer shallow runnin'

Ready fer some shootin'

Gator Queen........"lizbeth"

Excitment fills the air?
dawgaholic

Re: SWAMP PEOPLE...and thier new Alwelds

Post by dawgaholic »

Photo Op or Advertising gig? Don't matter once you get to 20' with that much power, the boat necessarily has to be ruggedly constructed and to these untrained eyes, they is purty. I especially like the model with the roof poles as some shade is always welcome in that climate.

Wonder why no davit, especially after watching them get hernias trying to roll those 700+ Lb. man eaters?
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

"Keep it simple" I'd suspect. And I like that. The less BS, the better.

Ya saw Trapper Joe, when alone jus uses his "come-a-long".

Yeah, a photo op. Nothin wrong with that.
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Now that you mention it, I remember him having that and wondered why more didn't, but then again, how many gator hunt alone? I consider gator fishing to be rather high up on the 'get yourself killed or seriously injured if alone' category of things to avoid.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I don't want to avoid it, I wanna do it! Ain't no difference than "solo" Shark fishing. Jus' have to be "ready". :beer:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Get on it Dave dog gone it! Your Bucket list has more things in it now. You had decreased it by one when ya bought the Cummins
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

JETTYWOLF wrote:I don't want to avoid it, I wanna do it! Ain't no difference than "solo" Shark fishing. Jus' have to be "ready". :beer:
Why didn't you get in on those FL hunts just South of you? Too close to your $$$ fishing charter season I'm guessing? Eaten gator tail often, several local eateries have them as appetizers and it's just good for ones' soul to have a Monthly pig out of real Southern freshwater eating, be it catfish, panfish, crawdads, trout, whathaveya. Except carp. Yuck.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I could, I have friends that get in the drawing......

Have ya seen that new show on cable TV, I think animal planet??

Called Gator boys?? Holy crap, just shows ya that gators ain't all that terrible as Liz, Troy and all them make them out to be, so to scare all those dumb azz NY city people watching on TV.

These dudes have a gator farm and do wrestling and stuff. They clear lakes and ponds of gators. One guy stands on the bank while the other snorkles out in the water and then he either chase down the gator or waits for them to come close and puts a snare over their heads and swims them to the bank, like it's no biggy.

Jus goes to show ya, they are ""so hard wired" just like sharks, and quite predictable (somewhat) and really aren't just man eaters. Just like people swimming and feeding monster sharks.

All that is a "good show"" for the same people who are afraid of the local raccoons in the dumpsters!

This Gator boys TV show really slams the ole hammer on the Swamp people making out those gators to be so KILLER like.
I was watching last night and laughing, cuz ole Troy Landry has all the touristos so scared by now.
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Have ya seen that new show on cable TV, I think animal planet??
Oh yes, that is right next to Nickalodean and The Disney Channel in popularity at my home when the grandson is here. Those two BIG Boys scare the gators so bad they refuse to temp fate, roflmao. Gator ain't dumb, even he can see that vs. one of them he is on the plate next. :rotfl:
netman

Post by netman »

I was in La in Sept helping my buddy fill 60 gator tags. I stopped at La Fish Net Co and spoke to Billy. This is the Lafayette store. Billy told me that Liz was going out on her own with another female gator hunter and the big news was Willie got his missing tooth fixed. I'm ready for a new season.
Netman
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I like the show. I have never watched those two other fella's on that other channel. Troy is probably my favourite as he seems to get er done and is probably the most likeable of the bunch. I love the history and background stuff as well. They got Canada in their blood eh!!!
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
netman

Post by netman »

Sculpin, Troy makes his living as a crawfish broker most of the year. Sculpin I took one of my cajun buddies from New Iberia,La up to Canada for some goose hunting at one of my Canadian buddys farm. I laughed my head off listening to them talk.
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

:rotfl: So they were talking cajun/french?

New Season begins with tonight's premier at 2100 ET, given I don't watch much tube, I do enjoy some of these made up reality deals and tend to be a History/Discovery/Science/NatGeo/AP guy as if I can't do it myself, watching others is solace.

I'm hoping that Junior don't shoot Willie again this Season!
netman

Post by netman »

There are billboards in La with Willie posing with his new tooth or toof.
simplepeddler

Post by simplepeddler »

The show has gotten hilarious really.
There is so much hype it's ridiculous. Like the Thanksgiving show with them hunting a domesticated turkey.

I actually grew up with the Guist Brothers.....many of there shows are filmed on the same river system my families camp is on.

Troy was a pretty successful guy before the show, and make no mistake, he is NO dummy.
I'm amazed just how much attention these guys are getting.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yeah, because here in Florida "GATOR BOYS" TV show they just swim out and grab them gators. No big deal.

I believe I saw Troy on Youtube say that the whole intent was one show and it was to freak out wack jobs, in NY city.

And for some reason it went crazy.

The Guy and his son from Houma are the ones that really make me sick......I guess the producers thought the Brothers were just "urban outdoorsman" enough to make them into the show??? I see guys walking the street here in the winter that look jus like them.... :rotfl: :rotfl:

Seems like everyone says they know the Bro's. Them be famous!

Liz's new boat "IS" a TV star now. Saw her and her gal pal in it.

Damn them boats have tons of room. I'd like something like that too. Nice simple alloy. No bullcrap needed.

TV shows are really something.
Here in freakville a local eatery that was on "Diner's drive-in and dives" went FRANCHISE because business tripled!!!!!!

I need to be on TV and make enough for a ""toof"" and then move to dream land (La.) and retire with all my good fortune
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

simplepeddler wrote:The show has gotten hilarious really.
There is so much hype it's ridiculous. Like the Thanksgiving show with them hunting a domesticated turkey.

I actually grew up with the Guist Brothers.....many of there shows are filmed on the same river system my families camp is on.

Troy was a pretty successful guy before the show, and make no mistake, he is NO dummy.
I'm amazed just how much attention these guys are getting.

Us folks up North don't find it hilarious as we don't know the history. Good entertainment and educational to boot. Good on em for taking in the TV thing and making something out of it. They have the personality and the where abouts to do so. Good on em I say. Congrats.

I really like the show.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Not any different than any other remote, rural area with its unique conditions. In the PacNW, there are vast uninhabited areas with no services or ability to contact help if you needed it, so be prepared and able to adapt or perish.

A starting point for those interested: LSU Libraries
simplepeddler

Post by simplepeddler »

let me be clear, I am happy for all those that are making money on this series.
BUT.......the show is highly embellished with a ton of editing. The entertainment side is understood and is great fun. Educational?? that may not be so unless you are okay with learning opinion and conjecture as opposed to reality.

Remote areas?? Yes, they are in and out of remote areas all day long, but rest assured they are rarely if ever out of cell phones service. I traverse these areas quite a bit.

My personal camp can only be reached by boat. That sounds "remote" but we have satellite TV, AC and running water!

The Guist brothers work at a local concrete company that makes concrete blocks and steps.
They are darn hard workers and although not likely to be sent an invitation to the social events of the area (before this show) they are respected people that have earned everything they have.

I may indeed be a little defensive as I have seen now for years the TV elite trying to make our people and our culture look stupid or beneath others. And sometimes, this show does the same.

We are very proud people that hold our traditions close. "seeing" them on tv is different than "experiencing" then in real life.
The only show that has ever captured in my opinion, the cajun passion and love is "Balaizar (sp) the cajun"

Just take the show with a grain of salt.........as entertainment.
JETTYWOLF

Re: SWAMP PEOPLE...and their new Alwelds

Post by JETTYWOLF »

One thing that everyone is "MISSING" is........

How many TV shows are now all based in La. or at least the Gulf area?

Let's see.

Ya have swamp people, Cajun Pawn stars (are they, really?), That gun show, family of gun smiths. Can't remember the name, Cajun Shrimpers the guys in Venice, ALL MOST EVERY SINGLE FISHING SHOW GUY GOES TO VENICE!!!!,Big Shrimpin' out of Bayou La Batre.

And I maybe missing a few.

WHY? Cause it's good for AMERICA. And good for the area!

After Hurricanes, Floods, Oil spills, it's a way of showing the area, the people, and that it's all back and running, if nothing else. So I commend the people of discovery channel, and the rest.

Here in Fla. the commercials for GULF COAST tourism are endless, And the commercials for LOUISIANA seafood, and fishing are on every single fishing show.......just wish there was as much atttention for my coast and people like me over here. I'm jelous, but understand.

The commercials for Plaquemines Parish alone (the southern most part of La.) are all over the place. TV, Magazines, etc.

That's why I was BLOWN away when I was there and the place still looked Vacant. If I had any money I would have spent it dearly to go fishing while there. But I'm as poor as a fisherman after a hurricane or oil spill......12 months a year!
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

That's why I was BLOWN away when I was there and the place still looked Vacant.
This is the point I was trying to grasp fully in your earlier post. Unless you see it with your own eyes, you simply lack sufficient frame of reference to grasp the totality of the devastation.

I was 13 when Hurricane Camille re-arranged some things along the Mississippi and adjacent coasts and cannot rid my brain of what I witnessed. Too young then to compartmentalize the trauma enough to grasp the situation, the senses blown to smithereens along with everything else in sight. My Cousins rode it out in Mobile but everybody else fled West and came home to zero, zip, nada. Since then, my lucky self has experienced first hand the ravages of three tornadoes and Opal. Nuff said.

After going through that, moving right back in the crosshairs just isn't alluring for me personally and the snail's pace of redevelopment some six years after Katrina cleansed the Delta reflects that. Venice is a major commercial fishing port so it was coming back regardless, as were the other Louisiana ports effected.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I meant "vacant" with tourism, people fishing, etc. "During Mardi Gras even". (except bourbon street)

So, it's just like Jax Florida. People freeze up (pun intended) in the north and don't even think about how good the fishing is in the south "in the winter".

Especially if they have chillrenz.....ya know, the world revolves arounds the precious chillrens in school!
netman

Post by netman »

simplepeddler where is your camp? My pards live outside Maurice,La. I shrimp with them several times a year and gator hunt on Apache Oil property. My pards keep their shrimp boat in Intercoastel City near the game wardens HQ. You close to there?
simplepeddler

Post by simplepeddler »

I know exactly where they are! Hunted that area for five years about 25 years ago.

However, I am east of there right off the Lake Maurepas area.
In fact, we own 8 acres in the Maurepas Wildlife Management area.

I just wished the ducks where there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic