dream cat 30

Post your Alloy pictures here
Napa Mike

dream cat 30

Post by Napa Mike »

Check out this cat I found on yachtworld. I have not seen a "dream cat" before. Does anyone know who designs and/or builds these boats? Maybe its a one-off?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2013/Dr ... vgOubR4AQ0

cheers,
Mike
Attachments
dreamcat30bow.jpg
dreamcat30bow.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 11390 times
dreamcat 30 side.jpg
dreamcat 30 side.jpg (53.38 KiB) Viewed 11390 times
dreamcat 30 stern.jpg
dreamcat 30 stern.jpg (42.81 KiB) Viewed 11390 times
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: dream cat 30

Post by Chaps »

Ad said "now avail in USA" which usually means its an import. Boat looks like it sat in the water somewhere, hull looks funky with fresh disc sanding but zincs are worn and the chine looks rough. That and its sitting at a repo depot . . . sumpin odd about that boat
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

Designed by me and built in China for a US based client. Fitout on this prototype wasn't done as per the plans and as such she's over weight. The owner was very disappointed with the end result and has been seeking a new builder. I haven't seen the boat personally so can't comment on build quality but should all be ok a long as you're willing to re-do the fitout in a light fashion.
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Yeah, cats can get too heavy very quickly
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Six hours on the motors and that much corrosion on the hull and zincs, must have been in very hot slip. :shocked:

Only 9'-6" beam on a 30' cat, I would like about 11'-0" but that is just me.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

Beam was client driven, its about maximizing towing options.
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

CTMD wrote:Beam was client driven, its about maximizing towing options.
10-4 on the towing options otherwise is permit time all around.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

In this case the hull was designed for an Australian client and then the deck house modified for PNW use. This is the original design.
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

thanks for the straight scoop, Chris.
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

This is the GA for the Dream Cat. As you can see weight wise, we traded diesel engines and genset for more accommodation and a bigger cabin.
Attachments
ga1.jpg
ga1.jpg (168.03 KiB) Viewed 11318 times
ga2.jpg
ga2.jpg (163.86 KiB) Viewed 11318 times
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
THEMOORINGMAN

Post by THEMOORINGMAN »

When I look at that beautiful boat all I see is the bottom paint climbing up the bow. What was that guy thinking!!??
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

The blue paint stops at a spray chine in the topsides.
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
GMS

Post by GMS »

Chris,

Thank you for providing all the information on what appeared to be a very interesting boat (from pictures alone - I have not gone up to see it in person). Can you provide more information regarding what you feel would need to be changed on this boat. The design (at least in theory) appears to be perfect for PNW cruising and fishing.

Thanks,

Greg
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

As I said originally I've never actually seen the boat in the flesh and as such cannot comment on fine details or build quality either to say that it is fantastic or below par, I just don't know. I do know the owner had the boat inspected by an independent surveyor before it was allowed to leave the factory. Structurally the boat was designed to pass all of the toughest criteria and the hull form is a proven one based upon years of development. As far as I'm aware you could step onto it and have a long happy ownership. However, if you spent some time and money by striping it out and putting in a light weight interior then it could be a truly special boat.

If someone buys the boat then I'm happy to provide the drawings for the interior as it was meant to be for no charge.
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Since you have not seen the boat I suspect you don't know what made it heavy? And by heavy what did it cause...make it a displacement boat rather than planing? if so it could be a stable trailerable alloy trawler! The you could sell the big OB's and install some 70's to push it along at hull speed. Just a thought! :beer:
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

When we design aluminum boats we generate cutfiles for all the aluminum components so can easily calculate weight of the aluminum structure. The boat came out heavy due to the use of thick plywood and timbers in the fitout when the boat was designed for light weight honeycomb cabinetry. Because the extra weight was all in the front 2/3 of the boat they then had to add lead at the back of the boat to get it to float level. The centre of buoyancy of the boat (and most boats) is about 1/3 of the length from the transom so you have to add approximately twice as much weight at the back as you have at the front. As a result for every lb you pull out of the cabin fit out you can take 1.5-2 lbs out of the ballast.

Yes you could take the big outboards off the back of the boat and fit smaller ones, but then it would trim bow down and you'd have to replace their weight with yet more lead. When push come to shove the boat is heavy for a southern hemisphere performance cat, but I don't think it is that difference to your local product. As I said below you could buy the boat and have a long happy life with it but if you spent a winter re-doing the interior you would put it back in the water in spring and it would blow your mind.
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic