Edge Marine Sport OS

Post your Alloy pictures here
FinsNFeathers

Edge Marine Sport OS

Post by FinsNFeathers »

Been lurking for a while so thought I would post up some pictures of our 2014 Edge Marine Sport OS. 24 foot powered with a Yamaha F300xca and 9,9 kicker.

Took me six months of research to pull the trigger on this beauty and boy am I glad I went with this. Awesome ride. Quiet. Very stable and a big fishing deck. Just loving the room and ride. Couldn't be happier! :thumbsup:

Image[/url][/img]
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Edge Marine Sport OS

Post by kmorin »

Fins-N'
welcome to posting here at the AAB.com Forum. Thanks for joining the discussion.

You said you're pleased with the decision but that's not (all of) what we need to know? Why? (this and that) What was the process of your "decision tree"; others have 'forts' to keep them dry, you've decided on a "rag top"? Would you take time to beat around that decision bush for us? Other's have decided on different power, your Yama' is just one of many out there? Why this power over others? You've decided to go with an 24'er? what made that length seem the best fit?

All these decisions and many more, and any deeper look at your priorities will help others who read here, follow your thread and look at your choices to be more informed.

Thanks again for the post, and don't be shy, she's big, but deep V'd what are the hull spec.s? We all like to hear about hull spec.s, scantlings and other details that your welcomed initial post only 'teases' at sharing. Is the side paint or vinyl wrap? (or powder coat as we've seen recently discussed) Is the chine a proprietary extrusion to the builder? Is it welded inside and outside? Are the windscreen glassed curved? the look of the photo seems to show a bent glass at the sides? Or is that a flat panel glass? (Sure looks nice)

No bow cleat? So you only dock her? She's not designed to go on the hook? Not sure why but I'm sure that's entered into your thinking and is why she's built this way?

Looking forward to hearing why on a dozen dozens of decisions about your new boat. Glad you took time to share your boat, hope you'll take time to share your thought process, it sure resulted in a nice looking big boat!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Wow, that is a big "runabout". Really hits home when seen with you standing beside it on the trailer. Enjoy that beast! :beer:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Beautiful ride.
Can I have your trailer? :mrgreen:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Congrats on the new battle wagon......please post some inside pics :thumbsup:

Good luck with her :beer:
FinsNFeathers

Post by FinsNFeathers »

Thanks for the compliments.

I would be happy to share my decision making and what attributes I was looking for. I apologize for the length in advance….

First, I looked at how I would be using the boat. First use is fishing. Mostly Salt. (Puget Sound) but also lakes. So it had to be trailerable.

The next decision was glass or aluminum. After being on the sound and seeing some of the obstacles (logs, pilings, etc.) I decided on aluminum. Maintenance also was part of this decision.

Pilot house or soft top? Ruled pilot house out after being in a few. To me there seemed to be too many blind spots. And why would I want to bake in there on those beautiful sunny days we get. The soft top will still give you protection from the elements and has configuration options based on the weather.

Length was based on not wanting to get the footsies like we did with our travel trailer. Bought a 28 foot and soon found out we needed bigger. :banghead: So now have a 40 foot 5th wheel…..minimum was 21 feet.

Now to pick a manufacturer and model. I looked at specifications first. Looked at North River, Kingfisher, Alumaweld, Weldcraft, Wooldridge, etc……this resulted in another decision. I don’t like the look of diamond plate floors. Personal preference. And I hear they get pretty hot in the sun. So ruled that out. That narrowed the field again. Not knocking any of the above mentioned boats by any means. Just points of reference.

I wanted a boat that could handle some chop. So something with a good deadrise. Had to be at least 18 degrees at the stern. So that narrowed the offerings again.

After climbing on a few of the options I knew the Edge was it. Solid build. Big deck. Big cabin. And very appealing to my eye. After taking a test ride I was hooked. So smooth. Very quiet. No banging on waves / chop.

Hull specs. are .250” thick. 20 degree deadrise at stern (extended to the offshore bracket) 65 degree at bow. Sides are .160” thick with 35” height. Interior is coated with a bed liner material up to the cabin which is carpeted. 80 gallon gas tank. Weighs 4400 pounds with a full tank. So not your average tin boat.

To answer a few of your questions, yes there is a bow cleat. It is inside the open bow just above the anchor locker. The windows are curved. The sides are painted. The chines are custom with no outside weld. Construction uses .190” thick box beams for a very solid boat.

I choose Yamaha based on input from fellow boaters, fishing guides and the dealer. Finding service for a Yamaha is much easier than some other brands. Reliability was also part of the decision. (yes, there are horror stories for all makes)

Hope this helps you understand how I went about getting this boat.

And let me know if you have any other questions.
FinsNFeathers

Post by FinsNFeathers »

AlloyToy wrote:Congrats on the new battle wagon......please post some inside pics :thumbsup:

Good luck with her :beer:
Here ya go. The one picture where the kicker has a tiller handle was at the dealer. Also had a 225 on it at that time.

kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Fins&feahters,
thanks for the great post, 20deg's of deadrise is getting up there for "ride", it sure helps me see what criteria you had and what influenced your choices.

Thanks again for the answers, we look forward to seeing her in action. Didn't seem like a long post to me? Picture post sure says thousands of words.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

HEY NEIGHBOR!!!!

I live around the corner and have been admiring your boat when you have it in front of the house. Can't keep it your driveway and that pickup is tight in the garage already :beer:

We just got back in town after 10 days of cruising in our boat. I live on 100th&163rd, but keep the boat we slipped. I will stop next time I see the boat out front.

Howard
FinsNFeathers

Post by FinsNFeathers »

Small world huh :thumbsup: Feel free to stop by anytime.

So what were you out cruising on? And where did you go?
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

We have an Armstrong 28' monohull.. We went up made a 10 day loop of Bedwell Harbor, Otter Bay, Ganges (all in BC) down to Friday Harbor, with a stop in Kingston the first and last nights to give us an easy time through the locks. The trip was planned around swimming pools, and ice cream... and crabbing is open year round (although we didn't get any male keepers till back in the USA)
Skiffing
Donator ,15

Post by Skiffing »

So nice.

I also appreciate the thought process.
KDJ

Post by KDJ »

I am a first time forum user and I’m looking for some information. Im not even sure if Im posting this in the right spot, I guess time will tell. I am thinking of upgrading my older Duckworth Pacific Navigator to a new Edge Marine OS. I am curious if there are any Edge OS owners who could let me know how they like their boat? Is it smooth in rougher water like they claim? What changes would you make if you could? Over all would you purchase the boat again? Is the boat easy to trailer? I guess what I’m looking for some testimonials good or bad from an owner not a salesman.

Sorry for all the questions, I though this maybe the best place to get answers from real boat owners who don’t have a financial gain to my questions.
KDJ

Post by KDJ »

I am a first time forum user and I’m looking for some information. I am thinking of upgrading my older Duckworth Pacific Navigator to a new Edge Marine OS. I am curious if there are any Edge OS owners who could let me know how they like their boat? Is it smooth in rougher water like they claim? What changes would you make if you could? Over all would you purchase the boat again? Is the boat easy to trailer? I guess what I’m looking for some testimonials good or bad from an owner not a salesman.

Sorry for all the questions, I though this maybe the best place to get answers from real boat owners who don’t have a financial gain.
FinsNFeathers

Post by FinsNFeathers »

Greetings and welcome to the site. Some very knowledgeable and nice folks here.

I will try and answer your questions. Is it good in rough water? Oh yea. Coho derby last September we had 4 to 6 foot wind waves and I think the wind was around 25 knots. Handled it very well. Even though it is a deep vee it is not very tippy. It is also fast and smooth. Planes quickly and hAndes like a sports car. It is also very quiet for an aluminum boat. Edge builds test like a tank.

To be honest I don't think I would change anything. It is fitting our needs. Big fishing deck. Plenty of cabin room.

Good luck on your purchase. You won't be sorry. :thumbsup:
Rendog

Post by Rendog »

I have a 22 foot edge with thr yamaha f200xb and absolutely love it! It does ride as nice as they say, easy to load, trailer, handle on the water. I have the rear door on mine and wouldn't have it any other way. In fact I was the first to have one! I only use the boat in the lakes but when the wind does come up I know it's not a problem. I can cruise through 4 foot wind chop at any speed I like and still be comfortable. I have a heater in mine and would think that should be high on your list only because it makes life so much nicer. One thing I did have them do was make the bench seats taller to 15 or 16 inches vs 12 or so inches. They were just too low. I also don't have the little storage tray at the back of the bench seat. Bow storage is immense. Dealer set up could be better in regards to the motor height and a few other things (not edge marines fault they didn't set it up). The one thing I'm looking at now is spray lining the swim deck. I still go to the boat shows and their isn't another manufacturer that I've seen that would or could sway me away from the edge, it's that good!
KDJ

Post by KDJ »

Rendog- Thank you for your all the information, it has been very helpful, would you mind sharing a photo of your boat.
BoatBucks

Post by BoatBucks »

You can see my thoughts here if you haven't already. My Thread

I love the boat. The best riding boat I've ever had. Everything I wanted in a big water boat. My only regret is I don't have the time to use it like I planned and probably won't ever. Life happens.
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Where's the compass?
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic