Need quick advice on Yamaha 2-stroke!

Motor discussion
Merlin

Need quick advice on Yamaha 2-stroke!

Post by Merlin »

Hello all -

I'm hoping for some quick advice. I've come into possession of a 2005 Yamaha 75hp 2 stroke with very low hours. Only thing is it has been sitting on it's side for a year (minimum). It was not fogged prior to storage but it was cleaned and stored in a clean dry garage. Also, the carbs were rebuilt before it was stored so they didn't have any gas in them to gunk things up.

Is there some procedure I should follow in order to start it up safely. The motor comes to me from a very good friend so I trust that it was in good shape when it was put away. I just don't want to screw it up by starting it without knowing if there is something I should do to it first.

Thanks!
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Need quick advice on Yamaha 2-stroke!

Post by Chaps »

Laying a 2 stroke on its side has no ill effect. 4 strokes can get oil up in unintended places if laid on the wrong side. You should be good to go assuming it turns over OK and you gas/oil mix is OK.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Thanks for the quick response. I've heard it's a good idea to spray some wd40 in and turn it over a few times without the plugs in. It's a pull start only but I guess it's not a bad idea to get the rings free prior to starting her up.

By the way, any idea what a 2005 75hp 2-stroke with less than 100 hours is worth? It's the basic model with tiller, pre-mix fuel, and pull start.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Merlin, did ya get the motor and is it running ?

:smitty:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

well, laying on it's side is no big deal. Since usually I see them hanging from the lower unit with a chain attached around it.
Problem is they don't slide well outa the 'anchor shoot'. But I hear they do hold as well as a danforth, in sand bottom but are just as hard to get loose in a rocky bottom.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Just messin with ya Merlin. :cool:
GOOD FER YOU...now all ya need is a Panga.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Funny stuff.

I was down in cabo this week and a buddy had this motor for sale - it's a 2005 and has very few hours on it. I couldn't pass it up for the price. I was going to set it up on a panga and have it on the beach for quick or solo runs. I got it home and the head of the local co-op got word of it. He came over and begged me to sell it to him. Well, long story short, it's never a bad idea to take care of the local boys so I passed it on. I never even got it out of my truck! He came over and we slid it out of my truck and into his. I haven't heard so I'm guessing it started right up for him.

Cabo was a good time, too. Wide open bite for tuna and dorado on a warm, sunny, calm day. We drifted for over three miles and kept them with us the entire time.

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Merlin, that's the way to do it , it will come back around to ya.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic