WOW...California problemos?

Motor discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

WOW...California problemos?

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Check this thread out:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=267299

What the hell is a fuel tank polishing? I know on small Motor cycle tanks, you can epoxy coat the inside, as my dad has on really old nasty gas tanks. And it worked great. Same, same??
pjay9

Re: WOW...California problemos?

Post by pjay9 »

I have heard of fuel polishing...wonder if it is same? Usually for diesel fuel in my experience. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

WOW Jetty are you starting to have problems?? I have to say I love my two stoke.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

NO.....I'm running like a scalded dawg.

-Use it or loose it.....especially with them high powered "weed wackers".

it's what the dude says in that thread that I don't get??

Ya know they have all that Fuel, smog and other stuff and it could be the fuels?

Still have no idea what fuel polishing is, maybe a "left coaster" term for my "gas really sucks??"

Figured someone over yonder would know.
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Fuel polishing is the process whereby diesel fuel is moved through filter media using a pump which operates independently of any other pumps on board a vessel. Fuel polishing is most commonly found in the marine industry, in particular yachting where vessels remain idle for extended periods of time. The typical fuel polishing system consists of a pump/motor which is electrically powered, 12VDC, 24VDC, 110VAC or 240VAC. Again, these are the most typical. Also, the fuel polishing system consists of a fuel filter/water separator. One essential of a fuel polishing system is a vacuum gauge which will indicate the cleanliness status of the filter element found in the filter housing. Fuel polishing systems must be capable of removing water, very fine particles (1-5 microns in size) and most importantly, moisture. There are numerous fuel filters which do an adequate job of removing water and particulates, however, unless they remove moisture, the microbes will continue to grow in the fuel tanks. To be effective, fuel must be polished regularly. The entire volume of the fuel tanks must be circulated through the described filters four or five times a month. (MORE IS BETTER) Polishing fuel can be likened to polishing silverware, it takes many "passes" and it takes "frequent" passes in order to maintain the fuel (silverware) in tip top condition. Once a year polishing is a thing of the past. With the newer diesel engines, there is a cleanliness standard which is far more stringent than that of days gone by. If you, the typical yachter, pleasure boater have experienced clogged filters, you know how aggravating that can be not to mention the danger of engines shut down in rough seas or critical situations.

My friends Eastern, an older model, had his aluminum fuel tank eaten by E10 fuel just this winter. I found that my e10/mixed oil hasn't hurt my tank.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Interesting.....but I think the guy in that thread on that forum was using gas and had an outboard.

Maybe he doesn't know what RACOR - via Parker filtration means. :nutkick:
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Fuel polishing is typically thought of as a method of cleaning up a load of crappy diesel in a larger motor yacht, not sure what that guy means (not sure he knows). I haven't seen white powder build up in the high pressure pump filters yet but I'm going to keep a close eye on my zuke hp pump from here on out. The problem that guy was having might have something to do with builders using non-marine alloys for tank construction?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic