Honda Tachometer issue !

Motor discussion
Occams Razor

Honda Tachometer issue !

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All !

Thought I would post this to see if anyone has anyone had a problem like this. This past weekend I started to notice that

my Tach was reading higher than the engine was actually turning. It was reading about 1000 RPM at idle and 7000 RPM

at WOT throttle when the engine should have hit the rev limiter.... Thought I would ask before I start to tear into this

problem myself.
MacCTD

Re: Honda Tachometer issue !

Post by MacCTD »

Mine does the same thing, my Honda is a '05 90hp, my gauge is a Faria 32840, 7k tach with hour meter, http://faria-instruments.com/cgi-bin/si ... &id=TC9101
It does every so often, I think it may be moisture related.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Mac:

I believe you are correct. I have fished around some and one tech told me the Honda tachs have a calibration screw

inside that is adjusted to various engine sizes. Move it from its original position then return it to it original position

and retest. Its no big deal. The engine run perfect , just the tack being off some catches my eye. I will let you know what I

find.
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All !

Went on to diagnose this issue and found the contacts for the engine cycle and calibration pot were slightly corroded.

cleaned both with electrical cleaner and put the tack back in and adjusted it to actual engine speed. All set.......

If anyone has this issue you may be able to get away by marking where those two adjustments are set and just rotate

both one way and the other a couple of times and place both exactly back in their original position and you should be good to

for awhile. :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You have at least a console cover or do ya let that thang sit in the rain and snow all winter out in the open?

When I "didn't" have a 28 X 14 boat port, I used to put a cover over my old boats console. Just fer shets ands grins, and pounding, slamming, driving florida must have daily rains.
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Jetty:

Being a open hull and fishing in the conditions I do , the whole boat get soaked with the Briny.....once I get the Razor

home she is completely rinsed with fresh water several times. So the electronics see a good amount of water.

The console is covered when she is not in use as is the outboard. I have heard this is a pretty common problem.

So at least it gives you an idea when things go afoul ! :thumbsup:
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

I purchased a new Teleflex tach and attempted to install it yesterday, could not get it to work. I tried the setting that was listed on the instructions for my engine and it read over 7k at idle, then I tried the other setting listed for Honda, it read but was about half to 2/3rds what it should have read, tried all the other setting no luck. One good thing was the new tach is made so you cannot hurt it by having it on the wrong settings, it said so in the instructions.
Finally gave up after a hour or so in the hot sun, moved the setting dial around and back to the original setting on the old Faria gauge and re installed it, worked fine. Very annoying.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic