Newest toy...or is that business saver?

Motor discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Newest toy...or is that business saver?

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Since I have turned my garage, which never has a car in it into my shop because my boat and boat-port make it so nothing can go in the garage door, because it's all in front of it.

I hope to now enter into the big time alloy owner's shop club.

I always said I needed a spare engine to stay in business. Because I can't run my charters based on some mechanics schedule.
I lost $1200 over Labor Day weekend due to being down and no way to fix fast!
So I went to Ohio and bought a surplus Honda 225 30" long shaft standrad rotation, I'm sure EX- Coastie Great Lakes motor.
Seeing 100 miles away was a Great Lake.

Here's trying it out and doing a quick and dirty visual.
The guy who I bought it from had "many" and sold, "many. He was a used car dealer/ dabbler. And picked it up with a fork lift and hung it along side another one off the back of a truck with a plate welded to the truck rack.
It ran after sitting up for a long while, but his water pressure sucked and the over heat went off. So we put the Honda on my dad's motor cycle trailer for the 890 mile ride back home.

DSC00707.JPG
DSC00707.JPG (127.69 KiB) Viewed 7771 times
Now...what do you do when you have a O/B and need to get it off a trailer and in a low entry garage?
Alot of muscling around, is what.
Even with my new 2 ton lift I had to also buy.
My new Honda shop
My new Honda shop
Shop-1.gif (81.11 KiB) Viewed 7771 times
It hung for a few days swinging in the breeze, and while I was on a charter my SUPER DAD built me a giant rack for it and my motor on the back of the boat so we have room for two, when it comes time for a change out. (Feb.)
My new Honda shop
My new Honda shop
shop-4.gif (86.64 KiB) Viewed 7771 times
So I have been checking it out, replacing filters and cleaning it up. And could really use a complete wiring harness for it so I can run her on the rack.
My new Honda shop
My new Honda shop
shop-3.gif (78.64 KiB) Viewed 7771 times

Sooo?

Am I in, yet?
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: Newest toy...or is that business saver?

Post by goatram »

Like the redneck you are Jetty. You would fit in my work circle. It is making do with what ya got. Sure I Jones for what others have, I do and I don't have the means to get all of my toys I want. The DW complains if I go to far into getting what I want and she thinks I do not need. :skillet: You gonna paint the stand? If ya lived closer we could have made a Steel one with wheels to push it around some. Would be handy to clear the floor space.

Sure glad I don't live in the rust belt. That truck looked rough.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

THANKS.....I'm glad to be "in" in your neck O' the woods.

I forgot. Pops also added wheels on that giant Noahs ark stand, so I can and have wheeled it around the shop.

The dif between that one and steel is that Pop's built that for me for $137 bucks, and he had a circular saw, a tape measure and a box O' nails.

Later, the day after we went and bolted that thing together with 1/2" bolts......ANOTHER $55.00!!!!

Now I'm in for a $7300 motor
a $215 engine hoist
a $137 wood motor rack
$55 buck worth of bolts.

My old engine on the boat cost $770 to get out the shop so I could do a 3 charters.
I lost $1200 in one weekend.

Priceless.......I guess.

And don't even know if the "newest Honda" really runs strong or not. I'll know when I pin her on the transom of the Jettywolf I guess.

And now fuel went from $2.60 to $2.80 for unleaded in the last 10 days, and the phone has stopped ringing altogther. People go into a tailspin and stop enjoying life??

And the BEST WEATHER OF THE ENTIRE YEAR IS RIGHT NOW. No wind, 78 degrees, blue skies, and the fishing is decent if you don't care about catching any Speckled Trout (MY FORTE) at all.
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

How did they end up fixing your motor?
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
goatram

Post by goatram »

Dave
Fuel here is around $3.00 for reg. and $3.45 for my diesel fuel. I have enough scrap steel laying around to have made it. had the lift as well Shucks was selling them for $150 a couple of years ago. The Welders are here as well.

Ya did forget the price of those wheels that is the expensive part if bought new around $25 for the straight ones and $35 for swivels.

I used to live in Valdosta Ga 1986 throu 1992. That is where I got the Damn Yankee tag from my Racin Buddies. I raced Limited Late model at Lake City, FL. Thunder Bowl Speedway in Valdosta and in Cordele (SP) Ga. I got my Masters degree in shade tree mechanics racin. Red Necks always stick together even if one is a Damn Yankee :rotfl:

That engine was a good deal. Your source in finding it is?
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

MacCTD wrote:How did they end up fixing your motor?

Mac,

The mechanic tapped the hole, got three threads in the thin aluminum back there, slathered JB weld all over a small solid brass plug and screwed her in REALLY careful...........$770 later I was able to go make $700.

No problems since. But since the "local" Honda rep said, "I ain't never heard of such a thing."

I have found a mechanic in Queensland AUS that did two back to back, on BRAND NEW BLOCKS, he used for over hualing two 225 that came off a water taxi.

Found a great lil' Honda fix it forum:
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/ ... a-Outboard

That's where the Austrialian guy came in and said.......you ain't the lone ranger!
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

goatram wrote:Dave
Fuel here is around $3.00 for reg. and $3.45 for my diesel fuel. I have enough scrap steel laying around to have made it. had the lift as well Shucks was selling them for $150 a couple of years ago. The Welders are here as well.

Ya did forget the price of those wheels that is the expensive part if bought new around $25 for the straight ones and $35 for swivels.

I used to live in Valdosta Ga 1986 throu 1992. That is where I got the Damn Yankee tag from my Racin Buddies. I raced Limited Late model at Lake City, FL. Thunder Bowl Speedway in Valdosta and in Cordele (SP) Ga. I got my Masters degree in shade tree mechanics racin. Red Necks always stick together even if one is a Damn Yankee :rotfl:

That engine was a good deal. Your source in finding it is?

Yep, by Thanksgiving I see it back to $3.00 here and a complete shut down of "life as we know it."

Since you were NEAR my neck O' the woods, you may know that people round here are cheap, or just plain poor. 75% of my biz is from people who don't live in J-ville or Florida for that matter!

My whole biz is based on fuel prices, & airline ticket prices.

It's so funny, because when I went to Maine to see Jay at BLM about some R&D on the boats, (really I went with a fat bank check in my pocket too) We toured around for two wonderful days.

I said to Jay....who said he grew up around there. "Where's the poverty....??"

May sound like a really stupid question. But I never saw a junky car, a double-wide trailer, a homeless guy pushing a shopping cart full of junk. I guess, because I'm very observant. And Profiling is what I do well.

Jay said, "you're in the NY City area Playground, there's none of that here."

My reply was, "I wanna move to Maine, in the summer and back to the south in the winter. I need a J-O-B here."And I still think about it every single hot azz summer. And if I knew someone there that would employ me, I'd move there every single season! If lifes that damn good there.

My source for finding the motor was EBAY, believe it or not. The guy had a bunch of Honda 225's supposedly.
I could not find a SINGLE advertised used Honda 225 30" in Florida.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Gosh, and to think we paid $3.85 a gallon in Alaska in July ...

Oh wait, I was a RICH Alaskan for a week :rotfl: , I wont tell you that we spent $2000.00 on fuel in a week then . I would hate to give you a Heart Attack.

$2.69 for regular here and $2.95 for Diesel.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

welder wrote:Gosh, and to think we paid $3.85 a gallon in Alaska in July ...

Oh wait, I was a RICH Alaskan for a week :rotfl: , I wont tell you that we spent $2000.00 on fuel in a week then . I would hate to give you a Heart Attack.

$2.69 for regular here and $2.95 for Diesel.

...hanging out in a boat with one of those forts, too. Better not tell him about eating shrimp daily, as well as game hens and prime rib. We did have wine from a box, though. :rotfl:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
goatram

Post by goatram »

Dave I have a brother who lives year round in Dover-Foxcroft Maine. I have been there before and mid state is poor. Land and houses are cheaper there then down south. I will say that they do not have any shot gun houses like I say in Valdosta. (A shot gun house is where you can fire a Shot Gun at the front door and the pellets all go out the back door.)

Around the ocean in southeast New England is the play ground of the rich. Look at Rhode Island, Martha's Vineyard, and the Bush's home in Maine for the examples. Last but not least you would stick out like them Damn Yankees do when they come south for the winter when you are doing the Summer up there. You would hate life. Your little pinkie would get sore from having to extend it while you sipped your drink. :mrgreen:

Welder your just being modest. You are actually a rich Texan with a bunch of Oil Money. :thumbsup: Don't rub it into Dave to hard :banghead:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I have a way of blending in and enjoy being the hired help, for a good price. Especially when my boats involved.
So pinky finger or not......

Welder, I expect Alaska to be HIGH on everything. They have those 6 weeks to drain the toursitos.

Hell at one time not all that long ago it was $4.25 down the street from my house.....must have been $6.50 in Alaska then.

We have so much shrimp in the river here just Southwest of me it's rediculas. Because that's where all the Trout must be.
People are going out and cast-netting 5 gallon bucket(s) at night in the shallows.

I'm way to lazy to do all that. Too much work. So ya ain't the lone ranger.

But the Fort pics were cool to see....Thank Goodness Mark is shorter, huh? Took up less space, I'd suppose. He could just sleep on a shelf?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Actually we're all well over 6' so we just make Mark look small , he is really 5-11 and 200lbs and requires his own full size bunk.

And I can tell ya this Jetty, Alaska IS the Lone Ranger, NOTHING in the lower 48 can match it . We caught 17 different species of fish , 2 kinds of Shrimp and lived for a week on a boat with a fort on it amongst Eagles , seals, Whales, Otters, more Alloy than you can shake a stick at, Bears, Moose and Big foot [ We never seen Big Foot but we know he is there ] We had critters and stuff looking at us that we didn't know about I'm sure.

Hey Pete, did I tell you Thank you today :highfive:

:mrgreen: :rotfl: :rotfl: :mrgreen:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

You are welcome, Les. Jetty, I would need at least a T-top in your neck of the woods, just to escape the sun!

I don't think we hit $5 a gallon for unleaded, but diesel sure did. In rural Alaska, fuel prices were better than $8.

The shrimp up here are different, more like lobster in both flavor and texture. Cold water crustaceans cannot be beat. :thumbsup:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

That's why scientists invented sunscreen, and Mexicans make big straw hats.

When it gets to $5.00 here (lower 48) and Sarah Palin makes it to Vice Pres.

The world will really END as we know it, today and yesterday.

And I hope I'm DEAD or close to it.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

c c c c'mon Dave, what is it about this picture you don't like? Sweet face fishin' from an alloy boat. Would think she would be yur dream date not the end of the world . . . and Alaskan to boot which is yur dream state (behind Loosiana)
palin_2.jpg
palin_2.jpg (11.04 KiB) Viewed 7704 times
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Chaps,

Looks gets ya only so far....when she opens her yap, is when I wanna puke!
Her voice should be recorded, as a pest deterent.

She's a real capitalist, laughing all the way to the bank. Thanks to John McCain. Wonder if he's called "God Fatha" at the Palin home.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic