De-winterzing a KAD44P/EDC

Motor discussion
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

De-winterzing a KAD44P/EDC

Post by waterdog247 »

Received all the service records from the shop that did the mechanical survey and inspection. They performed a 200 hour service, and winterized the engine.

The owners manual PDF I downloaded from Volvo is very specific on how to winterize it, but not real clear on how to "de-winterize" the system.

Any of you guys familiar with the KAD 44, and know how to go about it?
welder
Site Admin

Re: De-winterzing a KAD44P/EDC

Post by welder »

What has to be done to winterize it ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

I was going to recommend that you post over on the boat diesel forum, but I see that you already have. I know very little about diesels. My 6 year old loves the sound of my duramax. When a put my foot into it he says " that is the sound of torque and horsepower!" Gotta love kids.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Hey Pete-

Yeah, I dropped a post over there, but wasn't sure how long it would take to get a response. The ones I did get as you can see were varied.

I love my Duramax too. Had her for 10 years, and just turned 190k. Love the sounds of that thing as she winds up, turbo singing in the background. Is yours stock, or did you chip/juice/Banks/Edge upgrade?

Les- from what I can tell, they added stabilizer to the fuel, flushed the raw water system and heat exchanger with antifreeze. Additionally, they performed a 200 hour service, replaced all the belts, filters, fluids, lube points, etc... I just wasn't sure if there was anything specific I needed to do before I put her in the water. Do I need to flush the antifreeze out? (They used an enviro friendly non-toxic one).

My experience here with marine engines is limited to gasoline power plants.

Here's another question; any one have shore power setup at their house? I think it would be nice to come home and plug it in, with a voltage sensitive relay to keep them topped off.

Pros and cons?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Sounds like you can drop her in the water and bust her off , drain and use the rest of the systems . Check the fuel filters/water separators OFTEN and I would always treat my diesel [ I treat every tank in my Ram ] Make sure you air intake is GOOD and CLEAN .
The shore power is a major plus with any boat/motor and THANKS for reminding me as I installed a 2 bank on board system this fall I need to go out and PLUG IT IN. :thumbsup:

Plus you can keep the cabin warm when she is in the drive way with a small heater and there is two pluses to this , One , a place to escape too and Two , keeps your plumbing from freezing.

Check your cooling system on the Diesel that it doesn't freeze and crack, you may have to hang a shop light in the engine compartment while on the trailer to keep things from freezing up down there.

Basically, common sense on most things to battle the cold and keep the batteries up.
Lester,
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

waterdog247 wrote: I love my Duramax too. Had her for 10 years, and just turned 190k. Love the sounds of that thing as she winds up, turbo singing in the background. Is yours stock, or did you chip/juice/Banks/Edge upgrade?

L

Mine is stock right now. I did have the Banks Six Gun Tuner hooked up for awhile. It was fun blowing the young punks in the little rice burners off the line, but I ended taking it out. It is collecting dust in the garage. I only have about 85K on it. There just are not many places to drive around here. I will probably upgrade to one of the newer ones in a couple years. I really like the added towing capacities of the new duramaxes. We will have to see how these urea systems pan out.

Patience is plugged in right now.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

spoiled one wrote:Mine is stock right now. I did have the Banks Six Gun Tuner hooked up for awhile.
Mine is bone stock, too. So far she has pulled everything I have hooked her to like a dream. Not sure if I want to plug up a tuner or not. Still undecided.
spoiled one wrote:Patience is plugged in right now.
Did you have to add a different circuit to the breaker box just for the boat? Or can you plug in to an outlet in the garage? It needs to be 30amp, right? Any special adapters?

I hate electrical stuff, and it hates me... :shocked: Glad I have a friend who is an electrician!
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Hmmm...I just have it plugged into an outlet outside of my garage. I know that my Honda 2000 doesn't put out 30 amps. I believe it puts out around 16 amps.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Jamie all that you should have hooked up is a battery charger, fridge, and a small heater. Use the house batteries for the little time in there when you need lights. Turn them off and the charger restores the power used.

I did add a 30 amp plug outside for my camper. Your Electrician friend will be able to handle that easy.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Thanks John!
I can suture a wound, remove an appendix, reduce a fracture, rebuild a Harley, and teach someone how to SCUBA dive. But electricity is a big mystery. Took me two days to wire a light switch in my attic.
:banghead:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dog, Electricity is some strange stuff...
How can you trust something you cant See,Smell or taste. I work with it every day [ Lineman ] 7200/12470 V on our primary side.
Just remember , NEVER touch two wires at the same time, NEVER and treat it like a gun it is always loaded. And of course a GOOD Volt Meter is worth it's weight in gold.
Lester,
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Me
Just Lucky with it. Wired the shop then had a buddy hook it into the main panel. He did complain that it was not as neat as he would have done it. :deadhorse: He was busy and it was my shop and I got er done! :shocked: He was surprised at the light brightness of those T5 lights and white walls :joecool:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dog, just get the Pig Tail that fits your 30 AMP shore power plug to a regular house plug then just run a extension cord out and plug her in .
You just wont be able to pull 30 amps but there is plenty of power to keep the batteries up and a few other things at the same time.

Your Garage and outside plugs should be GFCI plugs so keep a eye on them that it/they don't trip and use a cord like spoiled one has , it has the glow lit plug so you know it's hot and the boat is getting the juice .

Also check the boat every day to make sure the charging/heating systems are functioning .

Peice-O-cake
Lester,
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

welder wrote:Dog, just get the Pig Tail that fits your 30 AMP shore power plug to a regular house plug
Thanks Welder! That sounds like the way to go for me!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic