Steering systems:

Motor discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Steering systems:

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on getting rid of my HORRIBLE Teleflex sea star steering system.

I know ya'll probably have them and they work fine. But the chattering of the super weak valves in mine at the helm is about to drive me crazy. And the sloppy non-responsiveness.

If the steering in my 1995 Truck ever felt like this, it would have meant a Ford re-call I'm sure.

WHO DOESN'T HAVE TELEFLEX STEERING ON THEIR BOAT. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DO HAVE.

Talking again to KOBELT folks again and the local distributor/installers. They tell me, Teleflex doesn't make any real commercial duty steering. So they are not surprised with my un happiness.

I'll surf some sites and see what a 2 year old helm and steering cylinders go for to recoup some of my $$. If I do pull the trigger.

2 helms and 2 cylinders in 4-3/4 years just isn't steering tough enough for me obviously.
JETTYWOLF

Re: Steering systems:

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I guess "everyone" has Teleflex....huh?
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Seastar same thing :thumbsup:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Hi Dave,
We use UFLEX steering systems in all of our boats. Think there down there in Fla with you. The helm units are made of cast steel no aluminum. The cylinders look much better made. Try a Protech system. They won't give me oem pricing, but you can buy the system on ebay. Seem they have made every little marine store in fla a dealer but won't sell to me as a boat builder. Told them they were cheaper on -line.They told me dealers can't sell there products on=line. Sill laughing.
Welderbob
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Okay....

I should be added to the list of "BOAT Private Eyes" along with SL Dave. He finds them at good deals, I figure out how to fix them.

It's very cost prohibitive for me to actually change systems right now. I have a feeling my summer season is gonna go straight into the toilet. This is Florida, we fish 12 months a year 7 days a week. Unlike ya'll in the chilly spots where people save their pennies all winter to go chase a tuna fish a few times in Boston, Mass.

So, I called Teleflex. My helm #2 is an 07, my #2 steering cylinder is a 09.

The chatter I get is from the torque when the wheel and the motor are going the same way. According to Teleflex.

The man said, he'll send me an additional valve to install behind my helm that should fix the problem.
OR
I need to buy a PRO helm.....as in the same ones I'm sure Rock Salt is using when tying 2 or 3 350 yammies together.
(Jay let me drive the RS 34 for hours. I felt NO chattering of the helm.)

If this doesn't fix my problem, I guess I'll buy the PRO HELM. If I get some decent biz this summer.

This valve is some kid of secret weapon to fix this. He said you won't find it in any Catalog.

So Teleflex is sending me the valve ""free"" .......I did make mention I been talking to you all (a thousand of you) about this.
And no one else complains about the HELM chatter as I do.

He said some people complain, some don't. I'M A COMPLAINER :!: :!:

I do lots of very slow speed, doing fast turns in high speed current, with heavy loads of people. If my truck did this, it would be back at the dealership :!:

'll let ya know if this fixed the chattering helm.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Okay. Recieved my TELEFLEX secret double whammy ANTI-CHATTER VALVE today.
And even realized that my steering moves as the boat goes along.....that ain't supposed to happen. 1200 lbs of pressure???????
That means the valves in the helm are shot, I'd assume.

So, did ya;ll know theres a ANTI-CHATTER valve Teleflex can supply you?

I was told the EXTRA valvage should stop the chattering when at slow speed turns and even stop the steering wheel wonder.

WE'LL SEE!

Good gawd, someday when I'm really rich, or someday when I have no money problems I'll replace the whole shooting match with a super commercial quality system. Right now $1500 would be a luxury to spend.

I'll report back.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

tic,

tic,

tic,

tic

tic,

standing by! :popcorn: :skipper:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

see new post, "Something surprising" I started a new thread to go with my video narrative.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

CHANGED OUT MY HELM UNIT (TELEFLEX) THAT I ADDED THE SECRET DOUBLE WHAMMY ANTI-CHATTER VALVE TOO, AND IT STILL WORKED LIKE A PILE OF CRAP, CHANGED IT ALL OUT, TO A $445 TELEFLEX """""PRO"""""" HELM.

FINALLY, DECENT STEERING! STIFF, NO CHATTER, HOLDS A COURSE, NO SERIOUS SLOP.

IT ONLY TOOK 3 HELMS IN THE LAST 4-3/4 YEARS TO FINALLY HAVE A STEERING SYSTEM THAT ACTUALLY WORKS AND FEELS RIGHT.

IF YOU ARE PURCHASING A NEW BOAT, AND IF IT COMES WITH AND YOU CAN ONLY GET TELEFLEX STEERING, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GET THE """""PRO""""" HELM UNIT. ESPECIALLY IF YOU ACTUALLY USE YOUR BOAT. AND IF IT HAS HIGH HP.

IF YOU CAN GET A REAL HIGH END STEERING SYSTEM, DO THAT INSTEAD! BUT IF NOT, GET THE PRO HELM AT LEAST!

IF YOU WANNA KNOW ABOUT STEERING SYSTEMS AND HOW TO WEAR THEM OUT, DON'T HESITATE TO ASK.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic