4-Blade Props:

Motor discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

4-Blade Props:

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'm not all that familiar with all particulars, that's why I'm going to the "AAB brothern" for any help.

I know that the diameter and pitch all changes when you go to an additional blade. But don't have clue to where to even start. Haven't dabbled in 4 blade props, ever.

What's the general rules when selecting?

What's the Pro's and Con's, if any?

Why is a 4 blade prop even a choice when most are 3 blade??

I'll let it be known that I'm into mass economy. But at the same time carry passengers. I believe I get pretty damn good milage. And just like to cruise at 4400 RPM most of the time. Could a 4 blade prop help, with increased economy and handling?

I've hear/read about they can push the bow down?

Any comments would be helpful.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Re: 4-Blade Props:

Post by spoiled one »

I run a pair of 4-blade stainless solas props. I think they are a great option for heavier, non trout fishing boats with forts. They provided more stern lift, better bite in the slop, and are much more responsive around the dock. I also picked up cruise economy over the 3 bladed props I tried. I did lose a couple mph at WOT, but that is fine with me. Find a shop that will let you demo one. Drop down 2'' of pitch from your 3-blade.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

I have found 4 blades are a little slower top end, but hold a higher trim and in corner better.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

I have a 15"dia. X 20"pitch four blade Power tech prop It does lift the stern up goes 44 mph or so. fuel eco. is good. I also have a 15" X 21 SWS II 3 blade prop by Yamaha that I got off of THT shipped from NJ. to my house for $150. I have come to realize that I need to get it to the Prop Shop Inc. to have them see WTH ELL is wrong with it. I lost RPM, ECO, and Speed. The guy I bought it from said he had it re tuned by adding a 1/2" of pitch. (I think it has more now. will cost $75 to have it looked at and re tuned to stock then re polished add more $:-) The Hull Truth has a couple of prop semi gods on there. I did a lot of reading in April and May.

I did not see a bunch of improvement just some. I burn about 3 more gallons an hour full throttle with the F250 compared to the F150 main engine that I had before. added 5 MPH top end. and cruise in flat water at 30 mph at 10 gph burn rate rpm at 4100. Hell of a hole shot thou.

Prop Gods are down your way I think. Info they will need are design, Weight , Power, RPM and speed currently running. What you want to achieve ie bow or stern lift, fuel economy, speed. They crunch the numbers and kick you a prop to run and try. Cost for the PT 4Blade prop was under $500 Cash.

Welcome to the Dark Side for you will become lost in the jargon and claims of the Gods of prop selection
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I think I'm lost already..... :rotfl:

Spoiled One made a few good points. But at the same time Our boats couldn't be any further in different directions.

What got me thinking is I saw Solas 4 blade Props of all sizes on Ebay for $275. Which seems to good to be true.

I get super great bite already. Can't break the prop loose, but I think that's due to stern or hull design.

I like the idea of stern lift. Especially when it comes to running in shallower water :?:

Prop Gods, didn't they have a banner here on AAB at one time? Yeah I bet they can baffle me with BS.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Most prop shops worth their salt will let you demo for free (at least here in AK where every body is flush with cash :rotfl: ) if you do not ding them. Give one a shot and if you like it, buy from them or return it and buy it from the cheapest source. You won't know unless you try it. :thumbsup:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yeah, here in my area I don't know of a single source like that. J-ville isn't Miami, (thank goodness)

I'm gonna search around.

I'm a fisherman. And flush, isn't part of my vocabulary.
ineedalloy

Post by ineedalloy »

Talk to Marcus at Power Tech props. I bought a 4 blade for my non aluminum a few years back. Best decison i ever made. Lost a few mph on the top end but hole shot and eco is night and day. He won't try to sell you either, just very knowledgeable and there to help.
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I have two 4 blade props a 21 pitch (I think) and a 19 pitch. I had the 21 on there and the rpm's seemed too high for the speed...I swapped out the 21 for the 19 and the boat runs just the way it should...though I must admit, I have absolutely no idea why!! Or maybe it was the other way around?? :rotfl: glad I could help!! :beer:
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

You guys are way behind the times!! Go for one of these: It's called a six pack...Jetty surely understands the principles of the elbow curl! :rotfl:
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic