Need Merc Control Box, but which one.

Motor discussion
buck3

Need Merc Control Box, but which one.

Post by buck3 »

I have a 2010 mercury 40hp EFI (40el) Electric start without power trim or tilt. it has a 14pin plug under the cowl.

I need to order a control box, but which one? They look like they come with a wire harness. Would I need anything else to be able to run a tach or a smartcraft multi function tach. There isn't much room on the console and one guage will be pushing it.

Is this the right one? Even though it has a PTT switch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quicksilver-Ext ... ar&vxp=mtr

Thanks
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Need Merc Control Box, but which one.

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You are now going thru what I've been doing for two years on a Honda part.....but don't think a 40 kicker motor needs or even gets any thing fancy added to it.

A side control box and some cables and yeah you need Trim and tilt, I'd want it :!:

Consult a Merc shop for proper parts. Then buy at 1/2 price on ebay!

Make damn certain the ebay parts are the right ones. And buy from only someone who "excepts returns" just incase.

I'm a huge ebayer. All my reels, engine parts, general tackle, and more come off Ebay because Jacksonville Florida has nothing I want.
buck3

Post by buck3 »

I'd want power trim/tilt. But the motor doesn't have a PT&T pump.

The motor is going on a 16' skiff and I'd want at least a tach if I can fit it on the console. I will get some pics up when I get it back.

Also, any reason why a set of honda control cables won't work? I have some control cables already from the Suzuki kicker that was on it. I am hoping the steering and control cables will work so that it will save me some $$$
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Shifter and throttle cable "ENDS" where they connect to the motor could be different with other manufactures. I'm just thinking. Never parted up something like you're trying to do.

If you want trim and tilt and don't have it, you'll have to buy a seperate unit. They sell "plates" that provide trim and tilt.
For BIG dollars!
http://www.cmcmarineproducts.com/

Personally, I'd look elsewhere and get it all in a better package, if you could.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

You can buy a merc trim unit, install it and plug it right in to the motor harness, 3-4 hundred as I recall. That side shifter looks like the right one, they typically put a cable on them that will handle any accessory item whether you need it or not. shift and throttle cables, mercs used to have special end fittings, don't know if they went to the generic style like honda and zuke on later models, recommend just install new ones regardless cause they all eventually seize up
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic