Lower unit

Motor discussion
wickedlester

Lower unit

Post by wickedlester »

Looks like I may be in the market for a rebuild.. Clutch dog been slipping slightly in reverse all summer. Hit some gravel while backing yest and now major slip. Forward is fine. Had some water intrusion on last oil change so... Anyone had experience with the sei replacements? Looks cheaper than a rebuild. I also have an older 225 vro sittin around. Not sure if it fits my 01 150 ocean pro. As I understand the drive shafts r 2 piece :banghead:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Lower unit

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Break out the book......"go ole school" that's what us poor azz fisherman do, and people in the great white north of the yukon during the winter months, as seen on TV.

Pull the gears yourself. While glancing at the book?????

Then after getting familiar, go to the local dealer parts counter and have them open that Micro-fishe thing and buy the parts, maybe just a simple part or two. Order the parts ya need.

After getting them go home, study book, study the notes you made as you "dis-assembled" the gear case, and maybe you had the dealer "PULL" the inside baering carrier out for you as they have the right puller.

Now re-install, and go fish :!:

That's what I did with a P.O.S. 140 Suzy-zuki motor lower unit as I blew the teeth on a gear.

Or, if you have $$, get it rebuilt or buy a "remanufactured old one", and ask if they take swaps, and what is the warrenty? ( as per your question, before I went on this rant) :rotfl: :rotfl:

I may spend the $$ and have a real mechanic give you a diagnosis first for $100 bucks.

Its hell not having the $$ to have others do things. :titanic: :titanic:
wickedlester

Post by wickedlester »

The sei aftermarket is less than a grand... 3 yr unconditional warranty. All new parts no reman. Tempting. I will tear down first. My mech skills r very high given proper tools but the gear set is 500 so.. We'll see. Was curious if anybody else had tried sei. They sell aftermarket for most brands I think. Hey I still got forward so I did fish anyway! The bite sucked but it was near 80 so crappy bite+broken motor still=great day!
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

There are many discussions about sei units on THT forum
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
wickedlester

Post by wickedlester »

i think i mighta fixed it. removed the lower unit and seemed to go in and out of gear fine. adjusted shift plunger(kooky design if u grew up on mercs) took the boat to a tiny river down the rd and left on trlr.. forward and reverse pulled against the trlr! will take it where i can run it this wknd. :clap:
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

There you go! Now that didn't hurt! GREAT outcome! Have fun putzing around!
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
wickedlester

Post by wickedlester »

went today..... clutch dog def has problems :banghead:
wickedlester

Post by wickedlester »

i have read alot about the sei. seems to be slightly mare good than bad but as with any inet reviews there r plenty of horror stories.. understanding that most happy users wont write a review i tend to trust the quality to be generally good. gonna check some rebuild quotes and possibly used unit prices today. if nuttin pans out i may give the aftermarket a shot and attempt a rebuild on the original myself as a backup. march is my fav month to fish so its worth spending a lil more for no downtime. fishing the last 2 weeks w no reverse was... interesting
wickedlester

Post by wickedlester »

Bought the sei. Installed Saturday. Looks good and fit nice. Fast and easy transaction. Now lets hope it lasts a while!
wickedlester

Post by wickedlester »

put a few hours of break in on it sunday. smooth and quiet.
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

I installed an SEI lower for a friend that had a bad launching experience and so far so good. It has been two years now with zero problems. I hope you have a good experience with yours as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic