2001 yamaha four stroke

Motor discussion
gulfislander

2001 yamaha four stroke

Post by gulfislander »

In me boating experience I've owned old two stroke engines and 2007 and newer fourstrokes. This weekend i'm going to look at a older Silver Streak welded aluminum runabout with a 2001 Yamaha Four Stroke 115hp main engine. I have no experience with older four strokes but have heard many stories of people being warry of them and of course when a fourstroke engine needs work it will cost a lot more then a two stroke. What should i be looking for in an older engine? obviously compression is the first place to start plus leg and engine oil. Any other advice?

Cheers,
Dom
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: 2001 yamaha four stroke

Post by Chaps »

Assuming you will have an opportunity to sea trial it at some point if you decide to buy I'd first look under the cover for corrosion, rust, evidence of leaks at gaskets, etc. Look at all the bolt and screw heads to see if the motor has had a lot of wrenching done to it, Take a 14mm wrench and see if the lower unit bolts turn, check internal and external zincs, pull the prop and check splines and determine whether it seems like it got serviced over the years . . . I dunno, there's lots of stuff to look at . . . def look at L/U oil to be sure its not milky. Not sure why you say 4 strokes are more expensive to fix than 2 strokes :?:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

thanks for the response. Unfortunatly the owner of the boat emailed me last night to tell me that he's decided not to sell the boat afterall. Pretty unfortunate. I'll go back to trolling craigslist for the right boat! As for 2stroke vs 4 stroke. I just think that since theres about half as many moving parts in a two stroke it is a cheaper maintinence motor. Also more user friendly for a home mechanic in my opinion.
Cheers
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

A modern 4 Stroke engine will be around for at least 4000 hours if not longer. Maintained properly she will be there far longer than you will own the boat. I would be looking for a 4 stroke not a 2 Stroke. Better Fuel economy. No expensive Oil to buy besides the crank case oil. Do your own maintenance and press on.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

thanks goatram,
and i do agree with you. I'm looking for a 4 stroke engine. what i meant by that comment was being warry of a older fourstroke that might not have been maintained propperly.
Cheers
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

I like the evinrude etec direct injected 2 strokes. they are different from the old 2-strokes, more fuel efficient and require very little maintenance. So don't walk away from a good boat with a modern etec.

Cheers,
Mike
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

I love the new etecs too! in fact just got back from fishing on my bosses 17' aluminum with a 90hp etec! really i'll buy whatever comes along at this point! I'm just ready for a boat of my own again!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic