Outboards On Ebay???

Motor discussion
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Outboards On Ebay???

Post by Sabs28 »

Has anyone bought an outboard on Ebay?? I was looking on Ebay the other day & noticed there are some SCREAMING deals on Outboards, Brand new ones still in the shipping crates. Seller feed back looks good. Most come with the factory warranty & offer to extend it. Can Also get the rigging & conrols if needed. Shipping is pretty reasonable in my opinion. Just wondering if anyone has any experience in the matter??? Thoughts??? Opinions??? :popcorn:
Last edited by Sabs28 on Fri May 31, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Outboards On Ebay???

Post by kmorin »

sabs, I've not purchased any outboards on eBay but I have run into some screaming industrial surplus deals that were just what they claimed.

My method was to establish direct/eBay contact with the seller and agree to some form of independent verification, in my case another contractor in the same area as the seller. The independent 3rd party only charged me an hour's time to visit the vendor, verify the devices' authenticity and then I used the buy-it-now option to transact.

The industrial control was 'new in the box' and was part of a project similar in nature to mine of that time period and in order to insure completion date the contractor had purchased extras to insure there were no issues with critical spares, so a few spare controls were bid into the job.

Outboard inventory may work the same? A builder or dealer may have some units left from another model year and be willing to sell below cost, as there are tax breaks available for inventory adjustment or liquidation. Some builders or dealers may have pricing based on a minimum number of units of purchase? now they're getting rid of the units that were left over?

I think it's key to be able to verify because we all agree there are lots of scams that look like 'deals', or take the goods on an acceptance performance contract, but there are some incredible deals to be had; once in a while.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

Its always nice to have a price to reference when you go to negotiate a purchase. Remember that you may need service some day. You can't start anew Mercury Verado without a laptop connected to it. Try and get a your local Mercury dealer to connect his laptop to the deal you got 4 states away. Many ads on the internet state " must be picked-up locally" . I will loose my Honda dealership if I sell someone a motor that goes on a boat I 'didn't build. Last thing most manufacturers want to see are motors being dumped on the internet.

welderbob
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

I agree with you Bob & you have a great point. BUT, 5 month ago I inquired on a boat from a west coast builder. The boat can handle 400hp. So I asked for the run-down on prices on the brands the manufacturer uses. Twin 200 Optimax's, Twin 200 Zukes, & Twin 200 Verado's. Ok, prices are fine in my opinion. Then I asked about the 350 Yamaha, thinking a single is "Usually" less. Almost fell out of my chair when I was told the 350 is $17,000 more than Optimax's & $12,000 more than the highest priced set of twins. I asked if it was a typo & was told NO. Now what is so special about that Yamaha??? That motor has been out for 6 or 7 years , hasn't it??? I can see paying a premium when a motor first comes out, but 6 years later I would think the buzz would cool down a bit????? So I started looking around to see "what-is-what". I am not trying to cut off someones legs out from under them or screw them out of money, I know every one has to make a living & that is what makes the "World-go-round" but if you ( or any body ) could drive an hour to save $5,000 on a new vehicle, what would you ( or they ) do???

I run into this every day working at a Ford dealership. There is another Ford dealer 15 miles closer to the coast & they sell more cars in a week than we sell in a month because they sell them ALOT cheaper. BUT,,,, thier service scores ABSOLUTELY SUCK, Like always in the bottom 5 out of 50 dealers in the North East. But on the flip side the customers come here for service because we have a cheaper labor rate a don't shove anything down your throat & tell you we will void your warranty if you DON'T buy the $1,500 maintenance service. So the customer goes to where the lower price is, buys it over there & services it here. Nature of the beast I guess...

I am not trying to start a fight or piss anyone off, just wondering if the listing were "To good to be true"????
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

And there is this place also. "Just Saying" :popcorn:

http://www.boats.net/
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Bought my spare 225 Honda from a guy on Ebay. But he was just using Ebay to advertise. I didn't actually go thru Ebay.

I can get discounts thru Pure fishing, IE: Shakespeare, Abu Garcia, Penn, and many others.....But 99% of my reels come via Ebay. Because I find deals.

Just bought my 16th action cam off ebay.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Typically the manufacturer won't honor their factory warranty unless they get verification from one of their authorized dealers that the motor has been installed, inspected and run-in according to their set procedure. Which means you'll likely need to find a local dealer that will agree to verify your install (on a motor they didn't sell) so good luck with that. The dealer I bought my Suz 225 from in Oregon agreed to do that even though he never saw my boat mainly because I bugged one of his service guys over the phone for details so much as I did the install that he knew I had done everything right. My initial deal with him was he wanted me to tow the boat down so he could check it over.

I'm out of warranty now but a few years ago the factory sent out a recall for the engine computer. I got the email and the local dealer handed me a new one after me giving him my serial# so that's when I knew my warranty was properly in force. Other than that have not ever been back to the dealer for anything.

Which brings up another thought, modern motors are so good maybe worrying about having a warranty is becoming a mute point.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Patrol24

Post by Patrol24 »

Hey Chaps

Just sidetracking here...

how do you like the 225 suzuki pushing your 24ft. Got a 24ft i/o mercruiser 496mag that might be replaced by 225/300 suzuki when I win the lottery :rotfl:

Thanks
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

well you have a lot of get-go now so the 225 might not have enough oomph if you want what you currently enjoy. I cruise at 25k which is all I need/want. If you're thinking Suzuki and you want equiv speed better consider the new 250 or 300
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
capewelder

Post by capewelder »

never bought any, but have sold probably a half dozen verados and Honda 225's on there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic