oil change

Motor discussion
bigdogeh

oil change

Post by bigdogeh »

hey guys,
it's time to do an oil change on the twin d4.2L cummins diesels in my maxweld. the boats out of the water right now so it can't get any water for the heat exchangers. and where it's parked there isn't a source of water. I was thinking of just starting the engines for a few minutes to heat up the oil before pumping out and replacing. was thinking I should pull the impellers first before doing this. it only takes a few minutes to do... just looking for suggestions, comments before doing this. anyone else do it with the boat out of the water? anyother steps I should be taking?
thxs for all the suggestions, comments,
bigdogeh.
welder
Site Admin

Re: oil change

Post by welder »

I don't like starting motors with out a water source. Will the oil drain or do you pump/suction it out?
Oil should drain, even in cool weather, just takes a little longer but ALL of the oil will be in the Pan because you have not run it.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

What are we talking here I/O leg , inboard with seacock? If there is a will there is a way. My last Almar I rigged so I could flush it from Its own fresh water system while in or out of the water.
bigdogeh

Post by bigdogeh »

Hi boatpoor,
I have an inboard/outboard... mercruiser cummins diesels with bravo1 and bravo3 legs. but cooling water comes in via 1.5 or 2" seacock.... (have to have a closer look next time to verify size) interesting idea on flushing with onboard freshwater supply... have to give that some thought to try to figure out how you had it plumbed. how long could you run for and how large was you onboard freshwater supply?
bigdogeh

Post by bigdogeh »

welder wrote:I don't like starting motors with out a water source. Will the oil drain or do you pump/suction it out?
Oil should drain, even in cool weather, just takes a little longer but ALL of the oil will be in the Pan because you have not run it.
hi welder. the drain is at the front of the oilpan and I can get to it to open but just not alot of space or depth for a pan to drain into... just don't really want to get it all over the bilge floor if I can help it...
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

If it has a hose on it, add to the hose with a fitting and enough hose to get out of the drain hole in the transom.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
bigdogeh

Post by bigdogeh »

good idea. maybe I'll pull the plug and see if |can plumb a valve into the oilpan with a hose.... there is no hose atm...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic