New ZUKI 250....can't shake problems

Motor discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

New ZUKI 250....can't shake problems

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I caught in the VORTEX of hell. And people always wonder why I'm so cynical.

The Zuki Gauge is causing me a fit. It's a Lowrance electronic designed gauge that does everything (if hooked up to sensors) from trim tab angles to Barometric pressure.

Day #2 - WITH CUSTOMERS STANDING ON DOCK, the motor wouldn't even start. The gauge went all wacky and almost 2 hrs later DAD and I figured it out randomly by pushing buttons and finally got the gauge to work and motor to run.

Day #4 - put boat in water and the gauge said, "WARNING- DEFAULT SETTINGS" crazy shet :!: :!: :!: :!:

You see this is a gauge that you program to have what you want on it. IE: RPMS, Hours, fuel, etc. Well that all went away over night and now I lost what I programed in. Thank goodness at least RPM was part of the DEFAULT setting and I was only doing a 2 hr kids trip.

Then I get home and it's 90 degrees in the house. 95 degrees outside the house. The A/C is broke.... have to call a friend to come fix it for $244 I do not have. Thankfully, he is a 20 year old friend and says.....pay me when ya can. No hurry's. I know what its like to be hot & broke!

I call the dealer and tell him nothing on the gauge is dependable and I need to come by Monday. But have a $500 charter on Tuedays. So you have to act fast. He gives me the .......we can get to it when we can attitude after dropping 18K 3 days ago :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Guess after this, if it's not fixed ON MONDAY, they'll never ever see my business again. That's how these azzholes work. They need to be in the YES business. That's why people hate boat dealers, and o/b mechanics. I'm in the Y-E-S how can I get you on my boat asap business.
And I better never say NO to anything. But not these azzholes :!: He's pissed me off already. Not good.

But as far as the actual Zuki 250 motor?

I'll sum it up like this. My (broke down) Honda's feel like a horse and buggy compared to the new Zuki. It acts and feels like a New LEXUS sports car, acts like a sports car, has power like a sports car. And the Fly-By-Wire is soooooo different. Takes a lot of getting used too.

Totally effortless shifting and throttle response. I have not been over 4200 RPMS because I don't need too. I'm haulin azz at 4200 RPMS.

So far so good. And being ALMOST a Honda 225 mechanic at this point, VIA THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS, I can tell ya'll the technology is totally different, thats for sure.

Withe the super heavy cowl off the 250 Zuki, it's like looking at a Cadillac Northstar engine under there. Everything has a plastic protective cover, no wires hanging about, no tubes hanging about. And the back of the motor has a "air scoop" and under it a metal screen over the air intake hole, and inside the 40 pound cowl, very nicely put together air intakes.

The lower unit is streamlined and bullet shaped, with LOW water pick-ups. The trim and tilt is almost too fast and powerful. While it spins a huge SS prop (part of the package) not a after market inwhich I would have had to do with a Yamaha to save some $$$$.

This motor will be professionally maintained (by either the place that sold it to me "which is under a Capt Dave test at this time) or by someone else", I doubt I'll ever even touch a spark plug for the next 6 years!!! Because I don't want too. No shade tree Bullshet.)

If I loose a charter or two because of a fix........"I've been there, done that, and just don't care any more....."

Take the HOUSE. I'll be yet another USA-housing statistic you hear about on the news. I just don't care.
pjay9

Re: New ZUKI 250....can't shake problems

Post by pjay9 »

Sure can be with business that have an attiude. I am pleased to hear your report about the suzi. Hope you have many years from her. Hope the report from you in Monday is positive and they step up. Best of luck.
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Well.......no going to see dealer about faulty gauge.

Last second charter call. While inside my console pulling out faulty RayMarine VFH radio speaker today. (as usual with Ray Marine parts, designed to only last 5-7 years) Certainly not like the old days, when shet was built to last.

The caller wanted to go at Noon and it was 11:30am, TODAY. He settled for tomarrow, Monday.
And I am booked on Tuesday too. I'll get over there some day.

WITH MY INVESTOR/OUTBOARD OWNER - aka: mom.
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

I would test it and make sure you can reach max RPM so if it is not propped correctly you can get a new prop. Suzuki gauges are notorious for being bad.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Similar experience here, love my 225 Zuke (an old one now, 2006 model) looks almost same under the hood as your new one though. But yeah, the do everything gauge that I got with it never would work right so I ended up sending all the data to the Lowrance HDS, much better display of the info.

The fly by wire is cool stuff, especially nice to get rid of those clunky motor controls the manufacturers provide. When I rigged mine I got the smooth acting Morse binnacles like what you would put on an inboard engine so its just about as sweet a shift as the FBW

What are they getting for those new 250's?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

That's funny the dealer said, "maybe one in a hundred has problems.....blablabla"

It's very blatant that it's all Lowrance technology. Using the "back-bone system", where a main line gets attachments added in.

I could deal with it being a lot less super computer like. They put way too much shet in a such a small package.

Atmospheric pressure? Trim tab positions? Engine oil temp? water pressure? Dual-Quad displays???

It's obviously not just for Suzuki's. But many applications.......Rudder angle?

Ten pounds of crap in a 2 pound sack.

Give me fuel tank, volts, trim/tilt, and engine warning sirens and I'm good.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

The warnings are in the tachometer (if they gave you one) the tach will flash a trouble lamp in a specific sequence depending on the warning, ie: 2 flashes then a pause then 3 flashes means your engine has blown up and you should cease further operation . . . :mrgreen:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Thanks Mom!!!!!!!!

My SB Engine Tach and hour meter turns on but does not count hours or show RPM. SOB! Worked great in the early spring but some thing happened. My Lowrance HDS does show the Engine Data on the network and also the true hours of the motors.

Dave You and me are Brothas from different Parents. Anything that can happen will happen to me as it does to you on a continuing basis. Tomorrow is another day. :deadhorse:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Welcome to the "Dark Side" Jetty. :thumbsup:
paddler

Post by paddler »

You say you paid $18K? Trade in?
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Wow!, My dealer who sells Yammy and Suzuki has been trying hard to get me to buy twin 300's for the build, but you guys are scaring me away fast.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Be scared of the Yamahas, around here the kids dress up in yamaha costumes at halloween and all the middle aged guys that answer the door run to the back of the house screaming . . . :rotfl:
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Friend of mine got a DF250 around 900hrs that almost bought myself, just blew the head gasket... 6k for a new powerhead

Auch...
Capt. G

Post by Capt. G »

I put on a new Df250AP last fall. The only problem on the sea trial was the motor cutting out after hitting 4200 Rpm. Took a while to find but there was a problem with the fuel line. Once fixed she ran perfect for 20 hours (Feds closed down cod fishing so the boat got put away in early Oct).

The fly by wire takes some getting use to as it is real sensitive compared to the old system. Motor is super quiet and more efficient. That gauge is pretty imposing but once you get things dialed in it is a neat piece of gear. One other thing of interest was I needed to go to a 17p prop in order to reach 6000 Rpm at full throttle.

Still have 4' snow banks around the boat so it will be a while before I can put more hours on her.
Capt. G
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

What happened to Jettywolf? Has not posted in months.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic