Honda 225 engine cooling problem

Motor discussion
Sculpin

Honda 225 engine cooling problem

Post by Sculpin »

I've got a 2005 Honda 225 on the back of the Sculpin. 2nd trip out my son noticed it wasn't pissing out the indicator hole. No alarm came on and she sounded fine and we shut her down right a way and limped home on the kicker. I got her home and checked the intake screens, checked the indicator hole and probed around to make sure there was no blockage. Hooked up the hose to the hose flush adaptor and rinsed her out (without the engine running) and water came out of the indicator hole. Hooked up the ear muffs and went to try it again with the engine running and nothing comes out. Shut her down right away (maybe ran for 30 seconds).

Now I'm thinking it's the impeller so I take the lower unit off and inspect the impeller and it looks like new (as it should be with only 50 some odd hours). Bolt it all back up again and try it again with the ear muffs and nothing.

I'm stumped. Does anyone have any suggestions before I haul her to a mechanic?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Take some 150 or 200 pound Mono line and prob in the pee hole a little farther.

Or pull the cowling and disconect the hose and try .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I'll try that welder. I quickly felt the big hoses on top while running the engine for 1/2 a minute and they felt like nothing in them so I don't think any water is getting into the system at all. I think the main pipe up the leg that connects to the impeller may be plugged somewhere.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Not on my Honda, but on a Yamaha 200 one time I went to a Marina to see a friend and man was it really low tide and shallow at the dock.

Believe it or not:

After I left I had no pee stream coming out.

I went back to the boat ramp, put back on the trailer and started looking around for the problem.

To make a long story short, My motor sucked up a tiny little snail shell thru the lower pick up I guess, it made it thru the entire water pump, and then jammed it into the pee hose somehow.

I ended up disconnecting that whole line and had to push the snail shell out the other end.

What a journey that must have been for the little snail.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I've got the problem fixed now. I must have been some blockage somewhere. Took the lower unit off and blew compressed air up the pipe and she came screaming out the indicator. I took it to a Honda dealer North of me and he put it in his tank ran her for 25 minutes while monitoring the temp and no problems. Had him check out a couple of other things and all he charged me was 40 bucks plus tax. I am one happy camper for sure :D . Went out cruising around for 4.5 hours last night and it was a blast. I really like the way this boat rides and the power of the Honda.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Honda 225 engine cooling problem

Post by JETTYWOLF »

BIG W.....I think we have a bogy in the mix. Was this last post a spammer?

Location Nazi on spammer detail. :sarge: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sculp,

-you can always take off the hoses from your t-stat housings and reverse flow with a garden hose to see if you can flush out whatever. Wish my fixes were that simple. But then again, I make a living with mine, so that means nothings is ever simple.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic